Author Topic: Horns at Historic Deerfield  (Read 2764 times)

TENdriver

Horns at Historic Deerfield
« on: November 20, 2008, 05:36:28 AM »
Last week I had a chance to drop into the Flynt Center of Early New England Life at Historic Deerfield.  Somebody had posted that 75 of the Guthman horns were on display.  There was some concern that the horns wouldn’t be displayed in a fashion that let’s you really see them.  Many of them are placed so that you’re within inches of them.  The others are in a couple of larger and well lit cases that can be accessed from two sides.  You can get pretty close to those as well. 

The photos in the books do provide better views of overall designs but they don’t convey the actual sizes or let you closely examine the tool marks.  Did I mention size?  Some of those horns are huge. 

All in all the display was worth going to.  I’ll still want to have the books so I’ll be looking for a copy of Drums A Beating, Trumpets Sounding: Artistically Carved Powder Horns.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: Horns at Historic Deerfield
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:57:49 PM »
Kevin,

I believe that book has been republished in the last two or three years and should be available for around $80.00. First editions of the book seem to go for much more $$.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393