Author Topic: J S Armfield and Son, Jamestown NC (restored)  (Read 6979 times)

Offline gibster

J S Armfield and Son, Jamestown NC (restored)
« on: December 14, 2011, 01:11:02 AM »
This is a Jamestown Rifle made by J S Armfield and Son dated 1876 on the silver inlay under the forearm.  The rifle is restored which raises the hackles on some collectors, but when I bought it, it had been “butchered” by someone who attempted to make it a full stock by using an older swamped barrel and splicing a piece of wood from the dated silver inlay on the forearm forward.  To say it was a hack job would be an understatement.  Fortunately, all the silver hardware from the dated inlay to the butt plate was still there.  The rifle originally had a patent breech with an English style lock.  You can see in the pictures the breech area and that the wood was never cut for the typical breech plug where the lock bolt would go through the rear of the tang.  There was some wood removed inside the tang area for a brazed repair to the tang.  Thankfully, whoever did the initial butchering of the rifle, cut the original tang and welded it to the rear of the swamped barrel that they used, so I was able to salvage the original tang (complete with the brazed repair) for the restoration.  I was able to get an original barrel from another ALR member to use for the restoration.  I had to use a modern patent breech and under rib for the barrel.  I used the original tang and cut the new tang that came with the breech plug and welded it to the “hooked” portion.  The wood was replaced from the dated silver inlay forward.   From research, it seems that most Jamestown rifles that have a brass trigger guard and butt plate, have brass ram rod thimbles and a brass nose cap.  I own a Henry Wright that is that way.  But from what I found, if the maker used a silver trigger guard and butt plate, it seems that they also used silver for the ram rod thimbles and the nose cap.  I don’t know if this is always the case, but from pictures on Bill Ivey’s book on Carolina Rifles, this seems to fit.  So, since this rifle had the silver trigger guard and butt plate, I opted to go with silver for the ram rod thimbles and nose cap.  I don’t know of a resource for an entry thimble like was used on Jamestown rifles so I made one from sheet silver, along with the two on the rib.  The nose cap was bought and cut to the length of the nose caps on my other Jamestown rifles.  The silver cap box has a brass lid, which I decided to leave on the rifle.  I don’t know when the original lid was replaced, but from looking closely at it, it appears to have been some time ago.  I don’t think that it was replaced by whoever butchered the rifle in an attempt to make a full stock out of it.
The reason that I am posting all this information is so that in the future, if this rifle is in circulation, there is documentation that is has been restored.  I felt that this rifle deserved to be put back as close to original as possible which is what I attempted to do.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 01:26:13 AM by gibster »

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: J S Armfield and Son, Jamestown NC (restored)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 06:34:49 AM »
A very nice rifle.  I believe you have done well, the best anyone might do in view of the previous atrocities this rifle was subjected to.  You obviously put quite a bit of thought into it.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 02:54:53 PM »
very nice!!  My opinion is that you gave the memory of JS Armstrong & Son a very nice tribute!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 07:14:12 PM »
Gibster,
Believe it or not, I have a document related to that rifle.  It is the original invoice from Tryon made out to J.S. Armfield, dated 1876 for a rifle barrel half octagon, half round with hooked breech, a lock and silver inlays and cap box for $17 and change.  

I do question the barrel tang and think it likely was made with an original style Jamestown tang with three screws. I have never seen a Jamestown rifle with the barrel tang you have photographed.  I do think you have done a great job with the restoration you have done.  It looks much better than it did last Spring.

I will scan a copy of the invoice and post it in the future.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:16:59 PM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:57:45 PM »
Gibster,
I think you did a fine job with what you had to work with.
As it was, it was doomed to a dumpster sooner or later, but now will be around alot longer for us to appreciate.

And what a treat that Michael has a copy of the parts invoice that seems to go with this rifle! Amazing!

John
John Robbins

longrifle

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 03:20:35 AM »
Very nice restoration you did a great job and saved it from ruin. Congratulations on your good work.

Offline bgf

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 06:30:27 AM »
I think you did a good job, and you got more information on it, also, if you want to go farther with it.  If you hadn't saved it, it would have likely remained a fullstock, been "reconverted" to flint and shown up in an online auction as "Possible Rev. War rifle with special silver plate dated 1876 commemorating the Centennial of the Declaration of Independence".  People don't give these later rifles much respect right now, but someday neglect of them will be regretted.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 01:24:39 PM »
I fully agree with you bgf, most of todays longrifle collectors consider any rifle made post Civil War to be "modern". I commend you Gibster for putting your time, money, and efforts into this nice rifle which has considerable artistic and historical appeal to me. 1876 has a lot of very important events pertaining to our American history and was the primetime for many of the going's on of our short lived "wild west". The battle of the Little Big Horn and the death of Bill Hickock, just to name two events of the nations first centenial year. Very cool indeed!
Joel Hall

joearmfield

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 06:27:47 PM »
Gibster,
You have done a beautiful job on this rifle. I am so glad to see these pictures and to know that it exists, because Joseph S Armfield was my Great, Great Grandfather. I have seen the rifle in the Greensboro Historical Museum that was made by Ithamer Armfield, who was a brother of Joseph S but this is the first picture I have seen of one made by Joseph S.

Joseph H Armfield III

Offline gibster

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 06:25:31 AM »
Joseph, I'm glad that you have found this site and were able to see some pictures of a rifle that your GG Grandfather had made.  If you would like additional pictures or information on the rifle, feel free to send me a pm or an email.  I don't know how many other rifles are out there that were made by JS Armfield.  Michael Briggs would have more information on that.  You can find his contact information from his post above.  There may be others here that have additional information on other JS Armfield rifles.