Author Topic: 10ga Powder/Shot loads  (Read 8125 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
10ga Powder/Shot loads
« on: July 03, 2008, 05:49:11 PM »
I'm just about to finish another of Mr Chamber's 10ga NE Fowler's.

This one is for a close friend, and he wants me to "shoot it in" for him.

(I hate it when that happens!!) ;D

I'd like some "starting load" info from the wise ones out there. :-\ ???

The barrel is jug choked "modified".  Should be a great turkey/goose gun.

Thanks in advance.
In His grip,

Dane

Daryl

Re: 10ga Powder/Shot loads
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:53:22 PM »
10's are easy. Find the diameter of the bore first and foremost, then order the correct circle-fly wads. most sizes are available at trackofthewolf and other places.
: 27.3gr. = 1 dram

I'd start at 3 1/2 drams with 1 1/8oz to 1 1/4oz. shot for a good starting load.

A full power load for most shooting would run upwards of 4 drams and 1 1/2 oz.

You'll find some guys want to shoot modern-type loads (or heavier ::) in muzzleloading shotguns, but they aren't necessary nor advisable in my opinion.

Properly wadded, you will get excellent results with normal muzzleloading shotgun loads.

All that said, I'll edit to include a chart I forgot about. HA! Close enough.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 09:55:12 PM by Daryl »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:19:22 PM »
Daryl,

Thanks so much for the info.

This thing is jug choked to a modified choke.

I hope to have it finished this weekend, and shoot it the following.  I already have wads, and shot.  I am waiting for the lead balls.  Should have all of it together for the next weekend.

Will let you all know how it goes.
In His grip,

Dane

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:15:14 PM »
Please do - We're very much interested in how it goes. :)

northmn

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 01:28:03 AM »
If you are going to shoot ball in the gun I suggest you start at about 90 grains of 2f depending.  An 11 gauge Bess kicks pretty hefty with a 715 ball and a 10 takes a heavier one.  With big bores I like to shoot them before I finish them as I can take off anything that I might of overlooked that nails me in the cheek.  ML shotguns are pretty much alike in loading, with the 10 using 1/14-1 1/2 oz of shot very efficiently.  The old rule of thumb about using the shot measure for the powder measure does make a good start.  Modern commercial wads are great but you can also use wasps nest, toilet paper or anything of that nature.  I won a shootoff in a trap match using napkins for wads as I forgot to refill my wad container.  Blew a lot of confetti out the end of the barrel and irritated the person I beat that brought along enough supplies.

DP