Author Topic: Quill work...  (Read 5568 times)

Peashooterjoe

Quill work...
« on: November 21, 2008, 11:16:47 PM »
Anybody done any quill work on bags , straps, etc. Care to share any insight on what to do and not what to do.Thanks PeashooterJoe..

Offline Poor Bull

Re: Quill work...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 01:55:16 AM »
About all my experience has been in making hat bands and medicine wheels.
Have found that the big fat quills aren't good to use.  The finer ones have to be spliced more often but, they work out better.
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.

Powder River Let'er Buck

Peashooterjoe

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:55:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply,thinking on adding some to sheaths and straps maybe. Wonder what it would look like on some ball bags? Thanks PeashooterJoe..

keweenaw

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 05:51:15 PM »
There is considerable variety in how quills are applied to leather, how edges are made, etc.  The techniques varied somewhat with the tribe doing the work, both in terms of patterns used and how the quilling was done.  William Orchard's book,Technique of Porcupine-Quill Decoration Among the North American Indians, will give you a good idea of how to go about it or you could take a class at Conner Prairie.

You can get a used copy of the book for about $8 including shipping on line through abebooks or other sellers.  It's well worth having if you have any serious interest in this.

Tom

Peashooterjoe

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 06:27:31 PM »
Thanks, haven't ran across that one, will check it out. Peashooterjoe..

Paul D. Wannemacher

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 01:52:55 AM »
The Book of Buckskinning III has a section on Quill work by Cathy Smith,she is VERY GOOD, :) I belive she might have a book on the subject avaliable.Good luck let us see what you end up Doing. 8)

Wild Willy

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 09:44:07 AM »
Personally I like to do the sew down quill method.  This came about from the woodland tribes up New York way.  It is in the same fashion as our single line embroidery.  This usually involves a lot of vine work and different color threads.  The Indians used the same method only with quills.  There is very little folding but for making leaves and flower buds and so on.
I'm pretty sure this fashion is found around the late 1760's.  I have made many knife sheaths and bag flaps and have received a few awards at Dixon's in the pouch and horn catagory with this method.

voyageur1688

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 11:12:13 PM »
 I'm not sure how to get in touch with him anymore but there is a guy here in Minnesota named James Hastings. His work is among the best anywhere, and is in museums as well as in movies. He is always willing to give advice when asked.

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
Seeing I can't see where you live. (Something I hate) I don't know if this will be any help. Smoke and Fire In past years has a class in Jan or Feb that a lot of time has a starter class guilling. You mite e-mail them and ask them.
David Veith

David Veith

Black Hand

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 08:42:40 PM »
I like to soften the quills in my mouth rather than using water as some do.  Well waxed linen thread works well for sewing and I then protect the quills by rubbing them carefully with beeswax.  Automotive chamois works well as a substrate for quillwork, and might be a good way to practice. 

Peashooterjoe

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 05:45:24 AM »
Well been working with them to get a fill and found that ouch..I forgot and got careless lesson learned. What is the best length you guys work best with? Thanks all and Merry Christmas .. PeashooterJoe..