Author Topic: Long rifle case for shipping.  (Read 7080 times)

hjets

Long rifle case for shipping.
« on: December 17, 2011, 06:50:35 AM »
I have a 58" Royland Southgate Flintlock I'm considering selling.  Where do I find a case to ship it?  Any suggestions?  It cannot be taken down.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: Long rifle case for shipping.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 06:57:20 AM »
Track of the wolf sells them.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 07:34:03 AM »
hjets,
Is your rifle one of Royland's "Tennessee Maids" in flint, and What is the serial #?
Mark
Mark

hjets

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 05:35:41 PM »
My rifle is #772.  It was made for my uncle in 1968.  It's never been fired.  My uncle tried the lock once.  I'd post a picture of it, if I knew how to do that on this forum.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:45:22 PM by hjets »

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 08:37:56 PM »
There was a wonderful discussion somewhere on this site on shipping your gun and crates and boxes to do this. I looked but can't seem to find it. Maybe someone with a better memory than I can post a link.
If I had one of Mr. Southgate's rifles I'm afraid I'd be too greedy to let it go.

Steve
Steve Skillman

hjets

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 09:37:15 PM »
I appreciate you looking.  I'm 65.  I'm getting near the front of the line.  My sons don't shoot.  Figure someone might get enjoyment out of it.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 09:53:39 PM by hjets »

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 11:07:28 PM »
I did what I should have done in the first place and used the "search" link.
I think that there is enough information here to do what you want to do. Maybe too much!!! ;) ;)

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=18566.0

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 11:08:56 PM »
Almost forgot.  Beautiful Gun!!!

Steve
Steve Skillman

hjets

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 11:25:34 PM »
Thanks, Steve.  I remembered after posting that I had a Kalispel case in the attic for my Silhouette guns.  I tried looking them up and got the new manufacturer.  They're not cheap but I figured I would add the price of the case into what I was hoping to get for the Southgate.  I appreciate your help.  I'll add a couple more pics of the gun here.  It's a .36 cal btw.

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 07:06:22 PM »
Some time a go, I was presented with the problem of shipping a nice rifle.
My solution was to go to the lumber yard and buy 2 1x4x8 and some 1/4" plywood.  Then I went to an upholstery supply shop and bought a piece of dense 2" thick foam.
I cut the 1 x 4's to appropriate lengths, cut a piece of plywood out of the sheet, and screwed the back onto the side rails.
Then I cut down a piece of foam to fit into the box, and another to match the first one.  A bread knife works well to cut the foam.
Put the rifle into the box, cover it with the other piece of foam, and again screw the lid onto the box and you have a nearly undestructable rifle case.
Less money and more fun that buying something that might or might not work.

hjets

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 09:08:15 PM »
After doing some searching on these forums, I found that Cabela's has a black powder rifle case and the people that took over for Kalispel also make a case. Both are over 60 inches long and have the ability to be locked.  They're pricey but almost indestructible.
Thanks for the suggestion about building one, though.  Does anyone have an idea about what this rifle might be worth?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 09:15:35 PM »
Both are over 60 inches long
60" seems to be the magic number for shipping.  Anything longer starts adding heavy fees.  The high speed sorting machines used by by USP, FedEx, and USPS are all only 5 ft wide and bigger stuff becomes special handling.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 10:44:46 PM »
Recently I bought 50 lbs of spring steel from a company in or near Chicago. It was 96" long or 8 feet. This was sent by UPS who gouged another $107 from me for shipping.  I later found out the USPS could have done that job for less than half of that amount. The steel company did a fine job of packing it between two 3" smooth boards and securing them with heavy duty reenforced tape. The whole thing was 3"x 2"x 96",a very compact package. Next time,I will use the USPS if they are still around then.

Bob Roller

Flinter

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »
I bought an aluminum gun box to ship the long 44 inch barrel flintlock from Cabellas. Last week I sent it by UPS to Ron Scott. The cost for shipping alobg with a $6000 return shipping label was about $140.00. If you had the time, it would be a lot cheaper to make one.

cahil_2

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 02:47:02 AM »
Go to your local chevy dealer and see if they will save you any running board boxes.  The last two I shipped to TOW, that is what I used, the guns arrived safely and they were free.