Author Topic: got er done  (Read 9070 times)

jim m

got er done
« on: July 03, 2008, 08:23:26 PM »
1st build, Tennessee style, Jack Garner stock and parts, 36"x7/8"x.45 green mtn barrel. lmf nut brown & chambers oil finish.  stock was pre shaped with barrel channel and ram rod hole. I inlett lock,triggers, trigger guard and shaped lock pannels. let me know what you think as I need to learn

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:50:14 PM by jim robeck »

Bushy

Re: got er done
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 08:45:59 PM »
Hi Jim
Nice job indeed.  Someday soon I'll try to put a kit together.  Hope it turns out as nice as yours.  How long did it take you to finish it?  Whats the cal?  Those Green Mountain barrels shoot real fine.  How did you like working with the Chambers oil finish?  Take care and enjoy your sweet looking new tennessee. 

Bushy(Vaya Con Dios Amigo)Stay Well and Shoot Often

lew wetzel

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:18:59 PM »
jim,looks pretty good ,except for the lock panels.the transition from the tang to the lock looks way rounded.ask me how i know...lol..i did the same thing on my first two.i am on m,y third and i have cured myself....she is a good looking rifle though...have you shot her yet??

jim m

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 09:38:29 PM »
Lew, transition from tang to lock panel is a dished out shape, pics don't show it very well. it's a .45 and I'll touch one off on the 4th and if that don't make a loud enough boom I'll get out the .62. sure wish mine looked as nice as Ken Guy's, now thats a tennessee!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 09:40:16 PM by jim m »

lew wetzel

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 09:42:07 PM »
jim,ya you really cant see the concave area from the tang to the lock panels.
enjoy shootin her off....

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 09:53:11 PM »
let me know what you think as I need to learn
Jim,
The first thing you need to learn when asking for a critique is how to take pictures.  Every gun looks good when photographed from a distance.  It hides all the small details.  Each feature of the gun should "fill the frame", not the house. logpile, swing set and back lawn.

You may notice that only those with limited experience are the ones who respond with obligatory pleasantries.  For honest appraisals, take close-ups.  You'll learn more.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

jim m

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 10:29:53 PM »
more pics,

TOF, I also need to learn how to post pics

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:00:59 PM by Ken Guy »

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 10:55:30 PM »

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:02:12 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 10:56:39 PM »

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 11:44:45 PM »
Jim,
I think you have a fine first rifle and you should be proud of it.  I'm sure it will bring in the 4th with honor.    What's your next build?  I know you are hooked now.  if not you will be as soon as she barks for the first time.
Cheers,
Ken

northmn

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 01:20:06 AM »
If I ever build a rifle that I didn't mess up somewhere I am going to quit, and don't plan on quitting in the future.  Look closely at the thickness of your wrist and compare to others.  Normally I do not like a wrist thicker than 1 1/2 inches and prefer some to be thinner where the wrist meets the comb.  The beauty about the Southern rifles is that they varied in a lot of features.  Overall it is a nice rifle and you will do some things differently on the next one I am sure.  (Bet you have something on your wish list now that youv'e built this one)

DP 

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 01:30:36 AM »
Jim,
Agree with the others.  It could use a few nips and tucks here and there.  The one thing I would comment on it to try for a tiny bit more "definition" on your moldings instead of leaving them as shallow slashes.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

jim m

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 02:24:30 AM »
thanks for the replies, one of the many problems I had was keeping a sharp definition around inletts and the lock panels. the wood was very soft but I know most of if was my inexperience. as to the lock panells I used a shallow gouge and a round file to shape, didn't know what else to use. any advice welcome

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 02:35:15 AM »
Jim,
I found these little rubber shapes to be very handy for doing lock molding.  You could make them pretty easy from wooden dowel if you don't have a woodcraft close by.
Ken

http://www.woodcraft.com/InhancedImage.aspx?Productid=145961&Size=Large

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 05:06:58 AM »
Leave your side panels a smidge high.  Do all your gouging and sanding around them.  Then use a sanding block to bring them down to the final height.  You will be left with sharp edges all around.  At this time, you can also eliminate the gutters one often finds around the lock inlet.  The tail and bottom of your lock inlet look OK, but there appears to be a slight gutter around the nose.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson