Author Topic: Filling a powder horn  (Read 10434 times)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Filling a powder horn
« on: November 23, 2008, 11:50:29 PM »
A good friend of mine has ordered 4 muzzleloaders (Hawkin style) and a new really nice powder horn while here in Iraq, and he asked me the other day about how to get powder in the horn. Well to be honest I have never owned a powder horn so don't really have any possitive idea. I told him that I would guess with a funnel at the spout. Well am I correct or is there some other means that are hidden? He also asked what kind of funnel would fit the spout, of course I told him a small one.  :D
Psalms 144

close enough

Re: Filling a powder horn
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 11:57:05 PM »
I use a small brass funnel like: FUNNEL-SB at TOW.
Do a search for 'funnel' at TOW and you will see FUNNEL-SB.

Brian

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 12:20:58 AM »
Clark,

I use a screw top cap on my can of powder which has a .223 brass soldered to the lid. The primer end of the brass is drilled out and the small end of the .223 brass just fits in the standard size spout that I put on my powder horns. If I am filling a horn with a smaller spout hole I just take a piece of paper and roll it into the shape of a funnel that will fit the spout hole.

You can also make a funnel out of a piece of leather. Cut a circular piece of leather about 2" to 2-1/4" in diameter and make a hole in the center that is slightly smaller than the size of the powder horn spout hole. With you thumb and index finger make a circle and push the leather down into that circle. Use your other three fingers on that hand to hold the horn. The leather will form a funnel to fill the powder horn.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 03:48:53 AM »
you can fold up a small paper cone from standard typing paper and a bit of scotch tape, snip off the end...
force the opening round with the tip of a sharp pencil, and pour your powder through it into the horn carefully...it comes out of the can alot faster than it goes through the opening in the paper funnel....dont ask me how I know that..
T.C.A.
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 03:48:39 PM »
Gracias Amigos
Psalms 144

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 06:12:08 PM »
I keep it simple which fits my brain waves ;D

I simply hold said horn by it's neck with stopper out 'tween my thumb and little finger of my l hand, this forms a natural funnel with my other fingers.  Pour out of the can into this natural funnel and as the powder comes to the top of the horn slightly tap the horn with the bottom of the powder can to settle the powder in the horn and makes room for more. 

A horn that holds enough for 25 to 30 shots is plenty for the trail walks.  At least around here. ;D

And we all thank you for your service.  Don't hesitate to ask ML questions here cause the 'members' will surely try to help!

Bentflint

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 06:08:34 PM »
I have a small funnel made of horn. It’s realy cute and fits in my shooting bag. It works great for people with three hands but I only have three thumbs.

More often than not I use the little plastic funnel shaped lid that comes on a gear lube bottles. They screw on most all powder cans and eliminate spillage and contact with sweaty hands. You have to cut the tip off to use them so they can be fit to your horn spout.

Bruce Everhart

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 02:50:11 AM »
Use a metal funnel.
Powder sliding through a plastic funnel may generate static electricity.
It is not nice to ignite a whole can of black powder.
Notice Lyman black powder cartridge powder measures are aluminum, and not the plastic used w smokeless reloading equip.
Use a metal funnel.

Offline BJH

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 05:02:54 AM »
Use a plastic ketchup or mustard squeeze bottle. Or a Honey bear bottle with a pointed spout. The squeeze bottles are available at your supermarket or similar store. Absolutely the easiest  way to fill a horn.  BJH
BJH

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 01:19:51 AM »
To fill a powder horn, I use a cartridge reloading funnel. It is plastic and has a spout that fits "over" the horn tip. No spills, no static electricity and the powder doesn't stick to the funnel.
Mark
Mark

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 03:16:02 AM »
For many years I did the paper-and-tape funnel thing. Works fine, too.

One day I saw the plastic ketsup/mustard bottles in the housewares section of the grocery store. Bought two. One's a glue bottle on my bench and the other's dedicated to powder transfer. Not PC, but what I do in the privacy of my home...
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

voyageur1688

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 10:52:22 PM »
 I wouldn't recomend any plastics with Black powder ever again. I had a small amount left in a can about a year ago and wanted to put it in a small 3 shot horn I have. To make a long story short, plastic can cause a static electricity spark. I lost my 3 shot horn and burned the dickens out of my hand. Luckily I didnt lose any fingers or worse. Could have been real bad if it had been more powder.

Offline Rich

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 06:54:25 AM »
I've always held the spout of the horn between the first finger and thumb. A natural funnel is created.

titanicslim

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 07:12:54 AM »
I've always held the spout of the horn between the first finger and thumb. A natural funnel is created.
That's kind of the way I do it.  In most cases only a few grains are lost and it beats the heck out of messing with yet another tool in my shooting bag.

By the way, Howdy and Merry Christmas!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 07:14:42 AM by titanicslim »

sluggunner

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
Next time you're at the doctor's take a look at the little plastic thingy that goes on his ear examing scope. My doc gave me several of the large ones and they are just right.
                                                             Rich

hyltoto

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 05:40:04 AM »
I bought a perfume bottle funnel in Mexico. Opened it up so 2f would flow thru. Very nice engraved silver for 10 bux. I have it tied on my bag so i can use it for loading as well.

Harnic

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 07:32:12 PM »
I bought a perfume bottle funnel in Mexico. Opened it up so 2f would flow thru. Very nice engraved silver for 10 bux. I have it tied on my bag so i can use it for loading as well.

Now that's a class idea!  I don't have any spillage probs filling my horn, but I often slop powder all over loading at the range!  $10 is !@*%&@ fair for a pretty accoutrement like that!

Leatherbelly

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 10:23:17 PM »
 Clark,
  I like and use Randy's idea. Mines the same idea but I use a 22-250 brass. With you,there must be lots of .223 brass available. I just cut them in half,drill the appropriate hole  and soft solder it to the powder cans lid. It means sacrificing one can and lid,no biggy.