Author Topic: Restoration Needed (now with pics)  (Read 8556 times)

jjbduke2004

Restoration Needed (now with pics)
« on: November 24, 2008, 06:10:45 AM »
I finally have the time and money to restore the family heirloom: an Abraham Schweitzer original, converted to percussion with a Golcher lock.  Not sure how it came into the family, but my fathers family does hail from Franklin County, PA (Marion/Chambersburg).  What little I know is due to the fact that my hometown library had the Kauffman book. 

Unfortunately, my grandparents weren't very protective of it so Dad and my aunts and uncles played Dan Boone and Davy Crockett with it.

First a basic description: from memory 49" barrel with around 60+" overall length.  Full length stock with brass ferrule under muzzle.  Barrel starts octagon then goes round after about 1/3rd the length (can't accurately call it "half-octagon").  Digital reloading calipers show a .508 bore diameter with no evidence of rifling.

Here's what it needs:
New hammer (original lost, Grandma's house was sold before it was found)
New tang screw (missing)
New nipple (damaged from excessive dry firing)
Trigger guard rebraised (looks like someone already tried this and it broke again)
Patchbox cover needs to be reattached and the catch to hold it closed needs to be repaired.
New stock star (I have the original somewhere, but one point was broken)

"Barrel bands" need to be replaced (not sure of the correct term, basically little staple like things hanging under the barrel, pegs go through the stock and "bands" to hold the barrel to the stock).

I need to find a gunsmith who can do the work.  I know it can probably never be safely returned to firing condition, but looks nice on the wall condition is good enough for me.  I live in Central MD, my parents (and the gun) live on Long Island.  I can take it anywhere near or between (Eastern PA or NJ) those two points.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:02:51 AM by jjbduke2004 »

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: Restoration Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 02:45:38 PM »
Contact Briam LaMaster, High View , West VA    304-856-3335
Hurricane

Michael

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »
Contact Brad Emig at  cabincreek.net  phone number 717-757-5841. First class work all the way.

Michael

Offline acorn20

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 04:14:55 PM »
Another individual you may want to contact is Keith Casteel.  His address is Rt. 1, Box 38, Bruceton Mills, WV.  26525.  Phone number is 304-379-8309 and his email is hawkeyecasteel@citlink.net  Keith advertises Professional Restoration of Originals among his many talents. 

Dan
Dan Akers

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 04:18:01 PM »
You’re a lucky guy to have a rifle like that in the family!
Schweitzer was a fine maker, and from your description it sounds like you have a nice one, and fairly intact.
First of all, find the original star, and take it to the restorer along with the gun. It’s easy to attach a new arm to the old one, thus keeping the original part on the gun, especially if it is engraved.
The remainder of your fix-it list will be pretty easy to repair. By the way, the barrel bands are called ‘staples’, and are easy to make and re-attach.
You didn’t mention whether the stock has any carving on it, say behind the cheek piece,,, some did, some didn’t.
Take good care of it, and because it’s an heirloom it’s not likely going anyplace, but be aware, depending on just how nice a Schweitzer it is, it could have substantial value.
You could really excite the troops here if you took a few pictures and posted them here, as we all love seeing originals, especially ones out of the woodwork, so to say.
John

John Robbins

Offline JTR

• member 2
John Robbins

jjbduke2004

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  Cabin Creek's not to far from here, so a future trip may be in order.

I'll be in New York for Thanksgiving, so I'll have the chance to take some pics.

I was surprised how well known he was as a smith as a few places copy his style: longrifles-pr.com offers a Schweitzer style stock and Tennessee Valley Mfg offer a copy of his patch box. 

A year ago, I was telling two friends about the rifle.  They're stocksmiths/fitters and are building their own rifles from kits.  They told me not to do anything to it until I had it appraised to see if restoration could hurt the value. 

When I finally showed the gun to them, they told me to get it restored.  I'm like "I thought you told me to have it appraised first."  They felt it was bad enough that I couldn't do anything to hurt the value :-/

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 07:43:06 PM »
Absolutely seek expert advice about restoration and what things should be done, perhaps even 2 or 3 opinions before you venture forth. Some restoration and its quality will enhance the value of the gun both in terms of money and art; other things done could infact significantly reduce its artistic merit and value or even ruin it. Often, after posting pictures at this site you will recieve those expert opinions in the responses.

PGosnell

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 03:42:08 AM »
I'd be careful in deciding to restore or not restore.  Sometimes a restoration can devalue the historical significance of the piece.  I have a Peter Kuntz that is being restored, but if it had not been for the fact that the piece was at risk of further damage if not stablized, I would not have it restored.

I myself would recommend Mark Wheland, mwheland@embarqmail.com

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 05:35:43 AM »
My take on your rifle is to restore that which is deficient about it. You can reconvert it unless the percussion conversion has great merit, (there are some that have very artistic conversions to caplock  and should not be messed about, (they seem to be in the minority of such conversions however). I have a Peter Angstat rifle that was converted in Bedford County, PA. The rifle is a very baroque looking piece and as it happens; the conversion fits the gun perfectly. Reconvert? Never!
Any missing wood is fair game for restoration; my standard is how it affects the eye. If the stock (or whatever) flows smoothly, why invade it with replaced wood. If it impacts the eye and is a distraction, (e.g., broken off forestock, in most cases), then restore it. I have a Santa Fe Trail rifle made in Somerset, PA though, that has had the wood along the forearm shelled off. It was done during use and the breaks are even rounded over on the edges. Old timey cleaning, rubbing and use rounded them.
It is still that way and will remain so. It looks just fine and given the history, it will stay that way, while I have it.
Finding the star and fixing it is a must! A little story here. A collector some years ago bought a fine original rifle built by one of the best So. PA makers through a broker. Fine, beautiful gun with the cheek rest inlay missing. Big problem! Buyer demanded the sellers' name and contacted them; he told them that he now had the rifle and made an astounding offer for the original piece of silver if they could find it. Guess what? They did, and now the inlay and rifle are back together again. So, point here is that small things can be more important than we think.
By all means fix the patch box lid and secure it again. You don't have troubles until you lose, or get a rifle that has the door missing. Ask JTR how he feels about PB doors.
Don't touch the patina, the carving or the brown on the barrel, lock, or anything else. On the other hand, if the ramrod is missing, have a replacement made. 
You have been given some good advice here (some of it is better than the rest) and given the names of some good restorers. Each of us has our favorites, no doubt, but there are many true artisans out there who can recreate what is lacking (impressive, though new) and then knock it back to look like the rest of the rifle so you won't be able to see what, or where work was done.
Looking forward to the photos.
Regards-Dick

FlintRock Rob

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 05:04:32 AM »
Don't forget to document it with photos and detailed notes (like measurements and family history) before you do anything. Keep those notes with the rifle and also document any restorations as they occur.

jjbduke2004

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 10:45:11 PM »

PGosnell

Re: Restoration Needed (now with pics)
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 04:04:29 AM »
Not too bad of condition actually.

Rehinge the patchbox and repair the latch.  Replace that tang screw.  Restaple and pin the barrel,  have the silver enlays replaced and replace that hammer with one off of an original Glocher (which should be easy to find).  You'd be ready to show.  Wouldn't even worry about the nipple unless the bore is still good enough to fire.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Restoration Needed (now with pics)
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 05:55:47 AM »
Very nice old smooth rifle by a great maker. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to get the photos. I have enjoyed seeing them. My take on the gun is this: it has a single bolt lock plate and the plate fits into the stock like a glove. The gun is almost certainly an original percussion and should be left as is. Also, there do not seem to be any filled in holes for flintlock parts in the plate exterior. You can easily check the interior where they may show if they ever existed. Not every Kentucky that was made was a flintock. This gun has the appearance of a later piece (1830) and could easily have been one of his last guns. Also, there is no carving, which suggests that it is rather late. Just one other possibility: it could have been restocked which would probably leave out carving and a change to the newer system (perc.), made.
The PB lid can be easily fixed and no one will care, or notice. The barrel lugs should be put back where they are missing and keys/pins made for it. This will save the forearm from cracking or breaking. Replace the missing tang bolt. The brass triggerguard can be gold soldered so that it will hold up. Someone has already tried to solder it with no success.
If there is no ramrod for it, have one made.
The gun is just a jewel and has wonderful finish and wear patterns; you're a lucky fellow to have it and that it is a family heirloom is icing on the cake, as they say.
Regards-Dick