Author Topic: burgundy color for cherry?  (Read 10352 times)

caliber45

burgundy color for cherry?
« on: January 28, 2012, 11:18:02 PM »
Building a half-stock flint "carbine" for my wife. I'm using german silver "furniture" and a cherry wood stock. She has asked for a "deep burgundy" coloration to contrast with the g-s furniture. I haven't worked with cherry (or german silver, for that matter). Any advice on how to achieve a "deep burgundy" color? Any special advice about cherry (other than not use it; she has her mind made up)?Tks! -- paulallen, greencastle, IN

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: burgundy color for cherry?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:44:51 PM »
I used some of the Laurel Mountain Forge Nut Brown on cherry and I thought it had a dark mahogany/burgundy look to it. Another thought, and I have not tried this on Cherry but Mahogany shoe dye that I used on some leather years ago made a great burgundy color and I feel sure it would work as well on Cherry. I can not remember the brand.
Dennis
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:46:41 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 11:57:58 PM »
Paul, I made one in cherry with GS trim for my wife too, except its a full stock. I'm not sure you would call it a burgundy but my wife likes it. I thinned out some LMF cherry and gave it a coat, let it dry thoroughly, than gave it a lite coat of LMF nut brown like Dennis. It did seem to have an almost burgundy look to it, but after exposure to the sun, it seems more reddish. Cherry is very photo-reactive.

Good luck!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 12:56:29 AM »
I have not tried this myself, but I am told fuming cherry for with regular household ammonia over night will stain it or if you can find the higher concentration ammonia it can be done quicker.  You don't put the ammonia on the wood, but put the wood and ammonia in a container and allow the fumes to get to the wood.  I would certainly experiment with a scrap first to determine time to get the result desired. 

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 04:30:34 AM »
This cherry stock was stained with lye..... its a few years older now and continues to darken,,,,

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline FALout

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 06:56:18 AM »
Spray on oven cleaner.  Spray it on, wait a minute, and wipe it off.  Wear rubber gloves and do it outside with good ventilation.  The lye in oven cleaner is what does it.  Some say you should then wash with baking soda to nuetralize, otherwise if you use a oil type finish, you will have trouble.  Looks great, like the cherry had been exposed to the sun for years.  Most stains do not work well with cherry, muddies up the look.  Try it on a pieace of scrap.
Bob

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 07:20:49 AM »
I seem to recall lye is a base and if it needed neutralize you might want to wash it with vinegar or some other dilute acid.  Baking soda is also a base so I doubt it would neutralize lye. 

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 08:14:40 AM »
Take a look into a minwax red-oak stain or a combination with linseed oil or turpentine if you need to lighten.

I live in Lafayette, if you need to get a hold of me. 

Tom

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 02:33:57 PM »
I've used Dangler's red-brown stain  and it  comes out slightly redder than  the 'old'  furniture grade mahogany. It too will darken  over time in the sun.
Gene

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 05:46:57 PM »
You may want to be mindful that most any aniline dye stain in a red color will not be light fast.  The cherry will deepen in color over time so this may at least partially compensate for the loss in color. 

Offline rick landes

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 05:50:20 PM »
I have used the LMF cherry and it with time gives a medium dark deep burgundy IMHO. I am not 100% sure, but I believe all cherry finishes will darken with age. That said anything you do will probably darken also.
I personally like the changes, but some may not.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 06:00:32 PM »
Finishes often will darken over a long period of time, but in the case of cherry, it's more the wood that will change in color over time and especially if exposed to sunlight.  When speaking of light fastness, this is the stain fading over a period of time in exposure to sunlight.  Red colors from aniline dyes are particularly bad for this.   

Vomitus

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 10:12:14 PM »
   I have a precarve piece of cherry so this thread is of interest.Does cherry "whisker" like maple? I like the idea of lye to darken but does it stop darkening at a point?Or will it go black? I like the burgundy colour too.It would be nice if one could get it to stop at the desired darkness. I'm wondering if sodium sulfite or some other colour preserver added to the mix might stop the darkening. One more question,sorry...what neutralizes the lye mixture?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:19:54 PM by Leatherbelly »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 12:29:42 AM »
LB,  I stained my cherry stock with lye..... I could have used stronger and made it darker to begin but cherry darkens in sunight...but you will be long gone before it turns black.......It does whisker, But, if you seal it with a 1# cut of dewaxed garnet shellac and then fine sand it back to bare wood and then burnish it with either some form of burnishing rod or wadded up brown paper bag material the any whiskers will be held down by the shellac!!.... The lye stain is simply the way cherry oxidizes.... I don't thing the sodium sulfite would help.  Lye is a base..just rinse with water to neutralize.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:30:05 AM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 01:24:08 AM »
This is my 1st cherry stocked gun. Mahogany stain & BLO.

caliber45

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 01:46:51 AM »
Hey, gents -- As always, lotsa excellent advice. I kind of lean toward the lye (Easy-Off) suggestion, but will try several options on sample strips of scrap before deciding. Thanks again! -- paulallen, greencastle, IN

Offline kutter

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 01:59:42 AM »
I've never done the oven cleaner/cherry wood stain thing.

But for something to neutralize the lye in the oven cleaner, I use wood bleach (oxalic acid) very dilute on wood (walnut) that has had the oven cleaner trick done to it simply to remove the oil.
(Don't use laundry bleach!)
Wood Bleach is made for wood pre-finishing and it does even up the color nicely.

In that case it also does what it is supposed to do,,lighten the wood.
On walnut, it brings back the 'walnut color', though a little lighter of course. The lye treatment will leave it with some strange colors sometimes,,nothing as usable or desirable as the cherry wood look.

I do not know if you could also use it on the lye darkened cherry and still have enough color left after treatment to satisfy you,,
Or..It may not lighten the 'stained' cherry wood at all being oxidized with the lye instead of a color stained surface..

Worth a trial on a piece of scrap I'd guess.

I use a tablespoon of the wood bleach crystals in a quart jar of water. Warm the  contents in the mickey-wave for 30seconds or so. Apply with a brush to the still wet wood from the rinse off of the oven cleaner.
Rinse again after applying wood bleach.
It'll sting your hands even diluted, so handle with care and watch the eyes.

Maybe it's a mute point altogether,,,, but neutralizing the lye seems to help in the finishing process on walnut.
I'd rather neutralize something that heavy a base that's been applied to the wood than not.

Some nice looking stocks here,,,might have to look into a piece of cherry next time..
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:04:43 AM by kutter »

billd

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 04:12:35 AM »
Tung oil without UV protection.  Hang it on a sunny wall, rotate every two weeks.  No stain can duplicated what comes naturally.

Bill

Offline LynnC

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 08:03:29 AM »
You can oil it, place in sunlight and wait.....months...perhaps a year or more.  It does work  ;)

Or you can get instant results with lye ( I use Easy Off ).  I then washed it off with the garden hose, dried it off and wiped down with vinegar.  When dry I used double boiled linseed oil.  Beautiful deep dark red brown.  Try on scrap. 

E-Z
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:05:55 AM by LynnC »
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 06:06:19 PM »
 Here is the Lye I use... Don't trust what else is in oven cleaner...

$11.50  per 500 GRAS

http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Sodium-Hydroxide-Lye-500g-P15962.aspx

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

excess650

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 04:08:45 AM »
Get Red Devil lye (drain cleaner) at the hardware store.  Mix 1 tablespoon to the quart of water and apply to cherry(wear rubber gloves).  Reapply to get the color you're looking for (to a point).  The Lye reacts with the tannic acid in the wood and it changes color more quickly than exposure to ultraviolet light.  The lye acts as a reagent and does not muddy the grain like a stain will.  From my experiments the result will be a deep orange-ish red.  Adding a reddish varnish may get you what your looking for.  Spar urethane may be what you're looking for.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 01:29:42 AM »
 Red Devil Brand Lye manufacturing has been discontinued :o  and in most areas none remains on store shelves.......In Atlanta..not a small town I finally had to go on line to the Science Company............ pretty  painless ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 04:31:43 PM »
  Amazon.com New place to get Lye (Sodium Hydroxide/Caustic Soda)

Food Grade Sodium Hydroxide Lye Micro Beads, 2 Lbs. (Buy 5 get 5 off)
by Essential Depot
4.9 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (18 customer reviews) | Like (7)
List Price:   $8.99
Price:   $4.99
You Save:   $4.00 (44%)
    Special Offers Available
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Essential Depot, Inc..
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA