Author Topic: ALR Museum Gunsmith: G. Feder....Lancaster, PA  (Read 5193 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
ALR Museum Gunsmith: G. Feder....Lancaster, PA
« on: January 31, 2012, 06:06:57 AM »
A very fine quality late percussion rifle by G. Feder. Little seems to be known of him or  his work. Those who know more about him, please add what you know here as a reply.
Thank you.
The Museum Committee

Here is the URL:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=20206.0
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:39:07 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: ALR Museum Gunsmith: G. Feder....location unknown
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
per Dr. Whisker ( Thank you!)

George Feather (Fedder, Fetter), sr. (-1848). gunsmith. The name of George Feather first appeared in tax lists in 1816, but no trade was given. The trade of gunsmith was taxed from 1820 through 1822, all in Elizabeth Township, Lancaster County. The tax lists of 1823 and 1824 are missing and he was not listed in 1825. His name was included on tax lists in Elizabeth Township, Lancaster County, as late as 1846. At the time of Fetter's death Jesse Pannabecker owed him $2.62. "A true and perfect invento­ry and just appraisal ... of George Fetter, sen., late of Elizabeth Township in the County of Lancaster .... 24th day of July, A.D. 1848,

2 Riffles, $20

a lot of gunsmith tools, $25

2 grindstones, $5

A crosscut, wood saw & an auger, $4

Total of inventory, $386.70

George Feather [Fedder, Fetter], Jr. (-1861). gunsmith. George Feather, Jr., was first taxed in 1835 as a freeman. In 1840 he was called an inmate gunsmith. In 1844 he became a land owner. He was called a freeholder gunsmith through 1849. In 1850 he was taxed as a stone cutter. Elizabeth Township, Lancaster County. In 1853 Clay Township was formed out of a portion of Elizabeth Township. Fetter lived in the portion of Elizabeth that became Clay Township. Fetter died in 1861 in Lancaster. "A true and perfect inventory and just appraisement ... of George Fetter, late of Clay township in the County of Lancaster ....

1 lot of gunsmith's tools, $25

3 Guns and a lot of plains, $12

1 lot of stonecutter's tools, &c., $20

Total of inventory, $1035.71

excess650

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:09:52 AM »
There was a dandy G. Feder flint rifle at Bushy Run.  I'm not so sure that it is the same maker as the rifle pictured as it appeared to be of Berks County origin rather than Lancaster County.  Both have the fancy inlay against the buttplate behind the cheekpiece, although different shape.  The flint rifle has numerous silver inlays, a Hagaesqe patchbox, and the typical Berks county comb.  It is in fantastic condition and appeared to have been lightly used.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:17:26 AM by excess650 »

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 04:56:27 AM »
Gentlemen,
In my opinion the rifle is made by Feder Jr. The engraving is a different technique than I have seen on the 2-3 Feder rifles I have had the chance to hold. I have a Feder rifle in my collection and I see only 2 similarities, the toe plate and the side panel. The engraving on the toe plate is a bit crude for Feder. The patchbox, it appears that the depth of the engraving is symmetrical. All of the Feder rifles that I have seen including mine, the engraving is at various depths and much more elaborate, the screws on the toe plate are usually incorporated in to the engraving. The stock architecture is also different, this certainly has a Lancaster flavor to it, the others that I have seen have the typical Berks Co. Roman Nose profile. Its a nice rifle and the owner should be proud to have it in his collection.
Buck  
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 04:12:48 AM by buck »

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Re: ALR Museum Gunsmith: G. Feder....Lancaster, PA
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 04:42:45 AM »
Gentlemen,
I would like to ammend my statement from last night. The closeup of the sideplate makes me 2nd guess my conclusion as does the engraving on the barrel. The engraving on the sideplate and the barrel is very similar to the engraving on my rifle and 1 other that I have seen.The stock architecture and the patchbox still are a bit puzzling. Is it possible to get a close up of the patchbox with the lid closed and a closeup of the side panel? Apologies to the owner for " jumping the gun" with my opinion (no pun intended).
Buck