Author Topic: Inspired by RCA1 #33, Reading swivel breech  (Read 14330 times)

Offline Randall Steffy

Re: Inspired by RCA1 #33, Reading swivel breech
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 02:20:40 PM »
leaving the furnishings bare was wrong then just as it's wrong today
Cody,
Thanks for your humorous and encouraging response to the engraving question. It warmed my heart and made me laugh! This is what the ALR Forum is made for! And again, thanks all for the time you gave in sharing your thoughts.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 06:34:31 PM »
This is one fine piece of craftsmanship and that lock is a fine job. I have thought about doing one of these to see what it would be like but now I get tired just looking at all the work that went into the action alone and THEN add on the wood and all that entails and I soon get rid of the idea of taking on such a project. I guess I am getting lazy. Last Summer,I diagnosed a problem for a doctor whose Duesenberg car was back firing thru the carburetor. He verified this and asked me to come to his home in the Midwest to fix it and I turned that one down also. No more taking 290 pound heads off of that engine for me.

Bob Roller

MarkEngraver

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »
Randall,

I looked up RCA #33 ...... and it needs engraving too !  :D

OK!  OK!  I'm sorry, it's just what I do .....
Ya can't blame me for trying to drum up a little business in these difficult times ?!

Mark

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 04:34:05 PM »
No question, great job on your swivel gun!
I've long wanted to do one, in .36 cal based on the Reedy swivel gun.  Squirrel medicine!
Thanks for the great photos.

Offline Timothy88

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 10:20:50 PM »
I know I am dragging up an old thread, but here goes anyway :)

I really like the swivel breech rifle that you made.

How are the barrels attached to the stock? Did you use the screws that are holding on the ramrod pipes?

I am starting to plan a swivel breech build, so I have been looking at projects that have been posted to see how others have made them.

Offline Firelock

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 11:52:25 PM »
Beautiful job! I really like the lines of your gun.

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 12:03:27 AM »
The screw through the center of the front forearm decorative escutcheon is in reality doing duty as a pin which goes through slotted barrel lugs. The barrels each have a lug, offset such that they nest side by side and the screw/pin holds the barrels in place with the fore stock being "H" shaped in cross section. So what you see is a captured fore stock not slabs of wood held in place with screws which might use the ramrod pipes as nuts as in some swivel breech rifles. My pipes are held in place with nails going through the oblique barrel flats of the wood. The rear screws (centered in the decorative inlays or escutcheons) have no real or necessary function as the inlays are pinned in place. Those screws are short wood screws.
You took me down memory lane!

Offline Timothy88

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2017, 12:57:54 AM »
Thanks for the explanation.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 01:33:10 AM »
Memory lane indeed.  Randall - I still have not got farther than the drawings (blueprints) I made for the action and breech.  I didn't realize it had been five years since we 'talked'.  Your rifle still stands as a great inspiration, and I shall have a go soon, I hope.
Thanks Tim 88 for resurrecting this fine thread.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2017, 02:49:07 AM »
Memory lane indeed.  Randall - I still have not got farther than the drawings (blueprints) I made for the action and breech.  I didn't realize it had been five years since we 'talked'.
When you have a go at it, Taylor, and I hope it is soon, you will produce a fine example, I am sure. I look forward to seeing it!

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2017, 07:22:47 AM »
Randall,
Very impressive work you have done! I missed your original post last January, as I was away from home and off line, but am very glad it has been revived for me to see. In my ongoing Kentucky double rifle study, I have examined RCA #33 as well as two other contemporary builds based on it. Yours takes the cake, for sure and by far! You are courageous and skilled to have built the swivel action as you did. I am in awe.

As for engraving, I stand with the old Reading builders who left the canvass clean. RCA #33 is very old by American swivel breech standards, and I think such a faithful copy of the early gunmaker’s work should remain faithful to and respectful of the original. There are several other swivel breech rifles of that early Reading time period, and none would look right in my eye with engraving. RCA #32 is an original single barrel rifle with the same carving and patch box as #33 that was engraved (and at a later date, I am sure). It just looks out of place and out of style to me. So I am solidly in the “stick to the style of the original” camp.

Your tumbler has a straight rather than concave foot against which the mainspring tip moves. Was there a reason for doing that?

You deserve accolades for your difficult and finely done build. Thanks for presenting it.

Bill Paton, Kentucky double rifle student.
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline louieparker

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »
Randall,
Its good to see the finished rifle. As has been said, You did a great job on a difficult rifle.
The attempts I have seen to recreate that guard have all fell short.. You hit all the buttons. That alone was quite a piece of work.
Bill Patton and I are both admirers of this school of swivel breech rifles. For either of us  to see this rifle with engraving would be like looking at a Rainbow trout with whiskers !
Again, great job!!  Louie

Offline Timothy88

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2017, 07:55:09 PM »
Taylor, do you have the drawings on your computer that you could share them here on the forum? I would be interested in seeing the actual measurements of the different parts of the action.

• Member 3
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 08:18:04 PM »
It's a paper drawing, but I'll see if I can scan it and post here.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Timothy88

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 08:29:38 PM »

pushboater

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2017, 09:37:34 PM »
Great looking rifle Randall! Beautiful work. I hope mine turns out as nice. I'm Not making a copy of any particular rife, but yours sure is a dandy! Seems like Swivel Breech Rifles are catching on and becoming a little more Popular, or maybe it's just me wishing I could see more of them on the forum here! Thanks for sharing.  Again, great job Randall!

• Member 3
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2017, 11:05:13 PM »
Tim88:  I've scanned my drawing, but it is in a pdf format, and I don't know how to post it here.  Email me at dtaylorsapergia@gmail.com, and I'll try sending it to you that way.

Taylor
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Timothy88

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2017, 11:14:58 PM »
Thanks, I sent you a email

• Member 3
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2017, 11:44:46 PM »
I took a photo of the page...hope you can read it!

upload img to html link

I see that if you click on the drawing, it will enlarge...click again, and it enlarges again.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 11:51:24 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia