Author Topic: Help ID'ing antique fowling gun barrel  (Read 14095 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Help ID'ing antique fowling gun barrel
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 05:25:53 AM »
Hi Jim,
I am learning some things about Spanish and Portuguese barrels and makers and I am enjoying every step of the journey.  I wish I had access to a collection containing many 17th and 18th century Spanish guns.  I would spend days there.  I don't think the basic barrel styles changed very much at all until the mid-19th century.  Again according to Soler, makers conformed to certain norms and those standards did not change much over 100 years.  If you read Espingarda Perfeyta you cannot come away but impressed by the precision and justification of the rules guiding barrel making.  Jim, you would enjoy the manual just for the discussions of iron and steel.  I think it would make you smile with amusement but also I think impress you with the knowledge and dedication of these great makers.  In the case of Rich's barrel, assuming it is not a forgery, I think you are right about the date.  I suspect it was made during the first half of the 18th century. 

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 08:54:29 AM »
Certainly not from a British gun , no London Proof Marks, would have had a hooked breech, I would say Spanish or Italian .
Feltwad

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 12:40:30 AM »
Not uncommon for early French and German guns to have Spanish bbls.

Rich, it's amazing that Feltwad has posted a dead ringer for your barrel.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:48:31 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.