Author Topic: Bolks Antiques  (Read 6079 times)

msmith

Bolks Antiques
« on: November 29, 2008, 05:55:18 AM »
Has anyone done buisness with Bolk Antiques from the Netherlands?If so how was the transaction? Thanks

Offline Jim Chambers

Re: Bolks Antiques
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 06:16:23 AM »
I haven't bought anything from Bolks, but I did buy a rifle from an antique shop in Germany.  There was no problem at all getting it back home.  The lady in the Frankfort airport looked in the case very briefly, said no problem, close the case and put it on the airplane.  The guys in Atlanta were more concerned, but no real problem there either.
But, has anyone on the board ever bought anything from Russia?  I'm negotiation with an antique dealer there, and don't know what problems might arise trying to have a flintlock shipped over here from Russia.  Any advice?

msmith

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 01:48:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply.Russia "WOW" If Henry Kissinger is not to busy.He always negotiated a pretty good deal,when they were the Soviets.Thanks again, M Smith

FlintRock Rob

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 03:39:40 AM »
Jim,

I hand carried a couple old military items from Russia, flying from Moscow to JFK in 1995, but no guns. I know some of the people from our geology meeting were trying to bring back antique painted icons and got home with them. We all had export certificate letters from the dealers that were supposed to let us take the items from Russia, but no one ever looked at the items or the papers in Russia or the USA. It was a long time ago that I was there, but from what I hear they are much tougher on antiques leaving Russia now. I guess it also depends on what references you have for the dealer.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:45:45 AM by FlintRock Rob »

Offline Collector

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 12:50:06 AM »
M Smith, I've never dealt with Bolks, but dot your 'i' and cross your 't'- the Dutch are not to be trusted.

Mr. Chambers,  I'd advise all due caution in business dealings in Russia.  It sounds extraordinary, but I'd insist on my funds being held in an attorneys' (yours or perhaps one in UK) escrow account pending receipt and verification of all government releases.  You may have a right and standing to bring suit, however laws governing business and/or commercial transactions are still evolving, especially those aspects regarding 'default,' e.g. it helps to be French (Russian) when you're in a French (Russian) court-everyone else is just a stranger, so to speak.  In alternative, you can go to Russia.  Traveling to Russia isn't much of a problem.  You'll need a visa to enter the country, of course and yet another one for the hotel you'll be staying at.  At some point, probably at the hotel, you can expect ALL of your papers; USA passport, visas, plane tickets, hotel receipts, etc. to be confiscated so that you can be 'checked out' by the local authorities, which makes you 'invisible'- non-existent - a 'non-person' so to speak.  America and Americans, in turn, as you can imagine, aren't at the top of the popularity charts in Russia, these days.  I think that we've been flooding the international poultry markets with our chickens and hurting their domestic chicken growers.  As an aside, the Russian government, as regards art and antiquities has been rather aggressive in claiming property, held in other countries, as being their 'national heritage,' and seeking, by demand, its return.  Others mileage may vary.  My experience and information is about a month old.  I wish you all the best in your negotiation and acquisition.   So, Mr. Chambers... do you mind it I call you Jim?... What is an American imperialist gun-runner and antiquities forger REALLY doing in Russia?  Your embassy?  Our records show that you haven't checked into you hotel yet.  Just KIDDING!  But, please be careful whether you do this at arms-length or in person.           

FdW

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 12:12:13 PM »
Mr Hansen: The Dutch are not to be trusted??? ???

I see Mr Bolk every 3 month attending an armsfair in Holland. He has really great stuff, but is not the cheapest one. The guns he sell are in good to very good condition. What I understood is that he has a transport agent willing to ship antique guns abroad. Shipment of antique guns is no problem in the Netherlands as far as the guns are made before 1945 and suitable for blackpowder or blackpowder cartridges, except for cartridge revolver and .22 long and .22lr guns.

If you need some information about a specific gun I can ask him to bring it to the next armsfair and have a look and maybe make some additional pictures. But you can also make a call, he speaks English. Or maybe bring him a visit, Holland is not so big.
On December the 14th is the next arms fair, but I promised the wife not to go! March is the next one.

Fritz
www.Weiss-Trading.com

msmith

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 11:10:47 PM »
FdW, Thank you Sir for the info. M Smith

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 07:26:37 AM »
msmith,

where in wv?

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 09:53:18 PM »
About 10 years ago I was in Bolks shop in Goirle, NL. Fell in love with a $$$$$ brass cannon. He boxed & shipped it to the FedEx office in Southfield, Michigan. Still have both cannon and box.
At the time he also had o-l-d clocks and the, elderly but fine, machinery running to make new parts for them. Had wonderful flint pistols, wife served us cookies & I suppose tea, disremember.

msmith

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 10:12:37 PM »
JCKELLY,Thank you Sir,for the info.msmith