Author Topic: Lock Choice  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Michigan Flinter

Lock Choice
« on: February 12, 2012, 12:15:11 AM »
 I have this old barrel in very good shape and I want to make it into a chunkgun for my grandson. It is 1 1/8 X .35  1 in 48 X31 inches long  with rod pipes and sights and set up for percussion firing.  It looks like it was for target matches. My question is what STYLE  of lock would be proper to use? It will be a halfstock . I have a large Siler percussion on hand but it just doesn't look right to me.  Thank you for your reply.

Offline Don Getz

Re: Lock Choice
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 12:29:07 AM »
If you already have a large siler percussion lock, I would round the tail and use it.    Since the barrel is only 31" long, you
have already compromised the gun, that lock will work out great.........Don

Offline bgf

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 12:31:58 AM »
I would look at the Siler Mountain or the L&R Leman lock -- both good for later builds and big enough for that barrel.  Just my opinion, but see if
you like them.  One advantage of the L&R is that the "Late English" flint interchanges with it if that is a consideration later -- I don't know if the Siler has an exact match.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:52:10 AM »
Go with the Siler and round the plate like Don says. The Siler flint and perc. plates are interchangable and you already have one .    Smylee

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 01:27:47 AM »
Sometimes small locks and big barrels don't work out because the lock can't be centered on the barrel. The mainspring hits the bottom oblique barrel flat before you can bring the lock up high enough to reach the nipple.

Take a look at your Siler against the barrel before you start removing metal from the tail.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 06:22:50 PM »
A back action lock looks good on those type rifles with a patent breech.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:23:51 PM by Ted Kramer »

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 06:36:35 PM »
Use a back action lock. A lot of old originals using a back action lock did so with large-across-the-flats barrels and the sides of the forstock was barely up by 1/4th of the flat on the sides. This allowed for a light rifle despite the heavy barrel.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 09:26:02 PM »
Just where can a high quality back action lock be found? I have a friend that has been looking for one but nothing is found. I never did make them and have no plans to.

Bob Roller

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 09:36:41 PM »
I got one from Dixie. I think it is the one from the Pedersoli Tryon Rifle. Well made and well finished. Has a short hammer throw and is very fast.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 10:02:44 PM »
I think L&R has a back action. You can occasionally find some on the antique market. Peabody and Spenser locks are quite big and heavy duty, too big for a target gun.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 02:52:54 AM »
 Thanks everyone for your suggstions .I'm leaning towards a back action lock for this project.  What type of trigger would be correct to use? 

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 03:00:49 AM »
Just where can a high quality back action lock be found? I have a friend that has been looking for one but nothing is found. I never did make them and have no plans to.

Bob Roller

L&R makes a back action lock........Track has them for 92 bucks.............