Author Topic: Fresh New Rifle  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Greg S Day

Fresh New Rifle
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:39:55 AM »
Gentlemen,

I submit for your review . . .

Just kidding,   but after several years of reading and learning from you fine gents I figured I ought to post one up.

I alway enjoy seeing the work on this site.

This was a parts set I was asked to put together as a Southern Mountain Rifle  (my first SMR).

Just finished it this week.

Feel free to provide any pointers you feel may help . . . or get a good laugh!

Thanks

Greg

He Conquers Who Endures

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Fresh New Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 03:45:49 AM »
Looks well done, my only complaint is that Siler lock :( Southern mountain rifles almost always had English locks instead of a Germanic lock.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:03:36 AM »
Only a bonehead would laugh at that rifle. The whole thing looks fine and I personally like that color on the wood. Congratulations on a job well done.

Bob Roller

omark

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 06:12:42 PM »
im wondering if the off lock panel should be just a mite thinner up and down.  i certainly dont know near as much as most of the other forum members, so maybe im all wet. its just something that hit me. but, as i say, i certainly dont know. other than that it looks really good to me, fine job.   mark

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 06:42:43 PM »
Nice rifle, fit and finish look great.  Couple suggestions, some of which are a matter of personal taste:
1) I'd like to see the stock taper more smoothly from the breech to the wrist.  It looks like the tang is nearly flat, hardly bent at all, and the curve comes after the end of the tang.  This would make the lock panel especially on the sideplate side more elliptical on the top edge and maybe flow a little better.  I like the long wrist but personally like a comb that is not aht high where it meets the wrist.  Lasr but not least, it looks like half or less than half of the barrel is showing.  Often a rifle can appear even slimmer if you let 2/3 or so of the side flats show.
Andover, Vermont

greybeard

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 09:10:27 PM »
You did a fine job of work on this gun . I wish my 6th were this nice..  I tend to view the  whole item and miss the small things about the gun that other folks pick upon then I go for another look and say "Oh yea, I see it now"
    I have learned a lot from the members on this forum and you will too I'm sure.
   Good kuck and keep building.    Bob Reader

Offline Greg S Day

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 05:08:58 PM »
Thanks for taking a look guys.

I appreciate the feed back.

Greg
He Conquers Who Endures

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 02:08:39 AM »
Greg,look at the side panel on this Roy Stroh rifle to see some ideas about how to streamline yours down.

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming