Author Topic: hershel house  (Read 10438 times)

Offline elk killer

hershel house
« on: July 04, 2008, 03:21:46 PM »
we all know today is hershels birthday...i have been silently collecting all i can about hershel for the last 35 yrs,,i have quite a collection of photos and articals,,i cant afford any guns by him ,,but do have a prized belt knife,,only thing i dont have is a autograph,, not to sound sappy,,anyone have a idea as to how to gain a autograph?,,,also along this note,,,,i have been thinking of how to gain signatures from the
very well known gunmakers we have now,,,almost like a signature board,,or maybe like a signature horn,,sort of like the signed base balls,,
i would imagine down the road this would gain as a historical piece,,just a idea i have had for awhile,,,or am i way off base..!!!
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline AndyThomas

Re: hershel house
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »
You might want to go to the CLA show in Lexington next month. You should be able to talk to him there.

Hope this helps,
Andy
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com

don getz

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 04:38:03 PM »
Elk Killer.....might get a little more from this forum if we knew who was doing the talking.  This is something that continually puzzles me, why are people so hesitant about adding their real names to their profile.......Don

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 05:26:38 PM »
Elk killer,
I picked up a copy of Robert Weil's book Modern makers of Muzzleloading Rifles and took it with me to the CLA show's when I was a member.  I was able to get Hersal's autograph their. He was pleased to sign his section of the book. I messed up though and didnt take my book with me to the KRA meeting. There were several builders there that I havent gotten signatures from.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 05:39:52 PM »
The Foxfire book was one of my first resources on muzzleloading gunmakers and after all of these years I never seem to see any of his early work. This is just a shot in the dark, but does anybody know of anywhere on-line where you can see some pictures of one of his very early (Foxfire vintage) longrifles?

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 05:43:30 PM »
Thats exactly what I would suggest. Go to the CLA show and you will get all the autogrphes you want.
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 05:44:54 PM »
Hershel signed my Fox Fire book a few years ago and told me some really interesting tidbits about the story and photos that are in it.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline elk killer

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 06:31:10 PM »
thats what i meant as i cant go there,,and my profiel is and or was all filled out

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 07:35:19 PM »
Elk Killer,
Art Riser has quite a bit of photographic information on Hershel on his blog site.  You'll have to dig through a couple of months of postings but all of it's great stuff.
There's a special today, being it is apparently Hershel's B-day.

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

chuck c.

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 07:40:41 PM »
I wrote him a letter explaining that I was having a very hard time purchasing one of his knives. I too can't afford one of his rifles, but I wanted something made by him because of what he represents to this sport (passion?). I also could not afford one of his high end knives. He sent me a very nice personal message on a thank you card that I'll keep forever and he made sure that I was able to purchase one of his small patch/neck knives in the price range that I could afford. He truly represents the best of all of us both in his great talent and in his personal life. If he's this considerate to a stranger I'll wager that he is truly treasured by his friends!

I also put all of my personal info on the old forum, but I can't figure out how to do it on this one!

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 09:40:13 PM »
Here's a better idea. Get the CLA book, go to the CLA show and have people sign the pictures of their guns. I know a couple of people were going around doing that.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 10:07:19 PM »
all good ideas for sure,,but with the way the economy is,,i have little hope of going to the show,,,i also sent sent him a card  twice,,even with a self addressed return envelope,,never heard anything,,guess ill have to hitch hike to the show