Author Topic: Best Contemporary "Hawken Rifle" Makers  (Read 18939 times)

Offline rbs

• Starting Member
Best Contemporary "Hawken Rifle" Makers
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:35:06 AM »
I am interested in buying a "hawken" rifle and would appreciate recommendations as to best maker(s). Thanks. Rick Schreiber

roamer

Re: Best Contemporary "Hawken Rifle" Makers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 02:48:58 AM »
Wait a moment I demand equality. I would like a list of the worst builders

Hope thats taken with some humor but best and worst is so subjective

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:07:53 AM »
Go see what Don Stith has to offer.  He has some of the best when it comes to Hawken rifles.

www.donstith.com

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 03:17:42 AM »
I have one (.50cal) made by JR Salvo that I think is pretty special. He made everything except the barrel. It's a cherry stock. He was planning on making many of them  to sell but unfortunately he passed away before this happened. This one is marked "H-1" & can be bought.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:57:06 PM by Keb Mo »

Offline JDK

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 03:25:54 AM »
Have you tried asking over on the Contemporary Longrifle Collecting page?  J.D.K.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline louieparker

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 03:52:43 AM »
Check out Bob Browner in St. Louis,,,,,,

Online Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 04:41:00 AM »
Any number of people can build a "good" Hawken rifle.  What makes the difference between a well built Hawken and an authentic, well built, Hawken, is attention to detail.  The barrel should be tapered as were most Hawken "Rocky Mountain" rifles.  The lock panels should flare from the rear to the front which is a trick to perform with a tapered barrel.  The breech plug, tang, lock, and trigger bar, will be case hardened and the furniture and barrel should probably be rust blued (easy).  On the very late rifle of Kit Carson, everything was case hardened.  None of the comercially available breech plugs are really authentic, but they can be made better by at least rounding off that square shoulder at the front of the bolster.   Don Stith makes the best parts sets around.  If you buy a rifle from a private builder you can easily spend upwards of $1,500.00 (and for good reason) and still not get a really authentic rifle, though the craftsmanship will be very good.  If I were you and wanted a "good" Hawken halfstock, I would buy a Pedersoli for a lot less money or build a Stith parts set.  If money were not an object, I would buy a Stith set and have any accomplished builder put it together.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Loudy

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 07:21:35 AM »
I agree with Louie.  Bob Browner in St. Louis builds a great Hawken.  Send me an e-mail or PM if you need his contact information.  He is a CLA member.  A few examples of his work will be on display at the upcoming NRA annual meeting in St. Louis in April. 

Mark Loudenslager

greybeard

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 10:06:16 AM »
Check out Taylor Sapergia .He is on this site
Bob

stilts1933

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 10:53:05 AM »
Howdy , if interested in a Hawken full stock flintlock , 50 cal made by Jack Garner --- copy of the one at museum of fur trade in Chandon ---Frenchy at Old Sage Traders in Bend Oregon has one thats beautiful , been shot about 7 shots only .  He's at oldsagetraders@aol.com

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 04:07:20 PM »
+1 on Taylor Sapergia and also consider Dan Phariss who has a wealth of knowledge on Hawkens and builds fine rifles.
Andover, Vermont

westbj2

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 08:58:22 PM »
I recall John Bivins saying that if he ever had a Hawken made it would be by Don King.
Don is getting on in age and I am not sure if he is still at the bench, Dan Harris would likely know.
http://quacked.com/image-129-don+king.htm
Some of his work is also shown on the Contemporary Makers Blog:
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2011/01/don-king-awarded-contemporary-longrifle.html

Jim Westberg

Flinter

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 11:09:15 PM »
The best would be Taylor Sapergia.

Here is a link to one he built.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=14977.0

Offline Mike L

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 07:33:13 AM »
I also agree with Louie and Mark. Bob Browner builds a nice rifle. I had one of his first and now have one of his latest builds which is an excellent copy of an original and my favorite. Depending on where you live he will also be at the Prairie State Longrifle show this weekend Feb 24 and 25. Louie builds a fine rifle also.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:53:35 AM by Mike L »