Author Topic: J.M. Caswell Rifle  (Read 9526 times)

Offline aaronc

J.M. Caswell Rifle
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:35:29 AM »
I have a rifle here that belongs to a friend of mine. Just been trying to find out some info on it. I do know that Lansingburgh is now Troy NY and that this maker seemed to be pretty well established and have seen threads where other supposed well known makers apprenticed under him. I'm new to the Long Rifles so aside from that I really don't know much else about it. I think it's a nice looking piece and hope you guys enjoy looking at it. Any info on the maker or gun itself is welcome.

"J.M. CASWELL   LANSINGBURGH" - stamped on top of barrel.

"R.S. CLARK  EXTRA" - stamped on the lock.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:49:22 AM by aaronc »
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline aaronc

Re: J.M. Caswell Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 02:38:48 AM »

- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Levi Garrett

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:41:26 AM »
I'm sorry, I can't help with any info. I do thank you for sharing it and I too think it is a nice rifle. What prompted me to reply was the double cheek pieces, both right and left. It seems to be an unusual feature and I would be interested in knowing how common this is? Thanks, Randy

Offline nord

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 07:39:59 PM »
The Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle - Ned Roberts

Page 198 - Nelson Lewis

Nelson Lewis is listed as a former market hunter who was taken under the wing of J.M. Caswell as an apprentice. He subsequently started his own business in 1843 which more or less sets a time frame for Caswell.

Caswell is noted for having made rifles and smoothbore arms for the militia. This at the time when militia members were required to furnish their own firearms.

There isn't a wealth of information past this point as Roberts was more interested in "modern" weapons of the period of which Lewis, Billinghurst, and others were more a part of. All the same Caswell is credited for his fine products and for passing on his knowledge to a noted maker in the best of tradition.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 06:47:04 AM »
THE NEW YORK STATE FIREARMS TRADE,, by H. J. Swinney/Tom Rowe, has 22 pages devoted to John M. Caswell. It states that the most important gunsmith shop in Upstate New York, during the 1820' & 1830's, was that of John M. Caswell, in Lansingburgh. It steadily employed 20 to 25 men, and produced, in 1833, "from twenty-five to thirty rifles...and sometimes thirty-six" per week. Caswell was previously in Albany, 1814-1816, and probably in Troy, around 1819. John M. Caswell was born in Connecticut in 1777, the son of Thomas Caswell, also a gunsmith.  There were other family members, including at least one brother, Solomon Caswell, and two nephews, Hiram and Eli, who were also involved in the business.  John M. Caswell died on Sept. 4, 1857. There was also a son, John M. Caswell, Jr., who was for a time involved in the business, but there is little information on him. The New York book contains pictures of a number of J. M. Caswell firearms of all types, including several pairs of pistols.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:19:25 PM »
Solomon Caswell moved to Troy, Michigan. There he sold guns made by his cousin J.M. Caswell, Jr. in Lansingburgh New York. JMC, Jr shipped the rifles, and pistols, by express to Detroit. The Troy, Michigan historical society has correspondence from JMC, Jr. to Solomon in the 1851 - 1853 time period:
" Lansingburch August 5, 1851 Cousin Solomon . . . Father is much better so that he can walk about the steets, but is very feeble the rest of your friends are all well. I hope the Pistols suit how do they go. Give my respects to all inquiring frinds I reman yours truly J M Caswell Jr"

(abstracted from Michigan Gunsmiths from the 18th throught the early 20th Centuries 2nd edition, James Kelly & Dorr N. Wiltse, Jr.)

Offline aaronc

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 07:05:49 AM »
Thanks for all the responses thus far. They are very helpful,.........and interesting.

Aaron
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 05:41:18 PM »
Here is another example of Caswell's work.  Early J M Caswell- original fullstock cut to half stock - Lock was Flint Maslin- classic early Caswell patchbox.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 03:16:33 AM »
Suzkat (Rob),
                        thanks for your response and for posting the pics   :) . Very interesting, great looking rifle.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 05:15:07 AM »
Somewhat surprised no one has commented on the fact that this gun has cheek rests on both sides of the stock. Made for either a right or left handed shooter?
Hurricane

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 05:31:04 AM »
Somewhat surprised no one has commented on the fact that this gun has cheek rests on both sides of the stock. Made for either a right or left handed shooter?
What makes you think it's for either right or left, as opposed to just a style.  It's a fairly common feature for that area.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 04:37:08 AM »
Did not know that. Now I do , Thanks. I have little knowledge of NY guns. I have seen two or 3 Caswells and have not seen that feature on the others or on many guns.
Thats exactly what we hoped for when we began this effort. Thank you for contributing to me and others.

I have an original bill of sale from Caswell which I will scan and post when this gun gets into the Library.
Hurricane
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 04:41:30 AM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 06:44:21 PM »
This is really interesting. I own a W.H. Brown perch. rifle with double cheekpieces, and have always pondered the point of how common this was. Just for your info. W.H.Brown worked in San Francisco late in his career, and was a material witness for Henry Deringer in his patent infringement suit against a gun dealer named A.J.Plate, who was selling counterfeit Deringer pistols, made by the Slotterbek brothers.
  In the past I owned a large rifle flintlock marked J.M.Caswell on the plate, so I assume at some point Caswell made locks, or had them made specifically for him.

Hungry Horse