Author Topic: Makers of contemporary "Hawken" rifles  (Read 29090 times)

Offline rbs

• Starting Member
Makers of contemporary "Hawken" rifles
« on: February 20, 2012, 05:47:37 AM »
Who would you recommend to make a quality contemporary "Hawken" rifle? Thanks for any information in this regard as I am considering buying a new "Hawken", but have little or no knowledge regarding various potential makers.

Offline bigbat

Re: Makers of contemporary "Hawken" rifles
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »
Ron Paull, POB 29, Port Lions Alaska.  Ron worked at Green River Rifle works for years.  He is preaching and building rifles on the side.  He knows Hawken Rifles as well as anyone.  He just built me a Hawken/ Freund styled rifle on a 1870 Trapdoor action in 50 70. his email address is fastoldpastor@hotmail.com

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 08:19:43 PM »
Louie Parker is another fine Hawken builder
He is a member here and this is email louierp@gmail.com

Here are two of his rifles:

A bench cpy of a Sam Hawken
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2010/02/louie-parker-s-hawken.html

A J & S Hawken
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2010/03/j-hawken-by-louie-parker.html
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 10:30:39 PM »
Incredible talent!  Fabulous rifles!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Flinter

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 11:35:31 PM »
For some reason I am having a Déjà vu moment.

I think there is a market for the Hawken, but the builders have fallen since the 70s and 80s.

I think the Louie Parker linked rifles are among the best I have seen.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 11:37:35 PM »
I've seen other work of Louie, very impressive..............Don

Dogshirt

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 12:11:26 AM »
Anyone know anything about W.B. Selb? I saw his name in forum at one time, but
know nothing about his work.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:30:48 AM »
W.B.Selb makes what appears to be a fine Hawken rifle. His Email is<brantselb@bendbroadband,com>
He is in Bend,Oregon.

Bob Roller

Flinter

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 01:45:09 AM »
Bob, thanks for mentioning Brant Selb. He is building me a Hawken. It will have a Bob Roller trigger and a Bob Roller T. Gibbons style lock.
Jerry Rice is going to engrave the breech plug/tang, lock plate, and hammer. The engraving will look similar to the Louie Parker Hawken in the above two link. That would be the two photos below.

Offline doulos

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 04:22:23 AM »
Who would you recommend to make a quality contemporary "Hawken" rifle? Thanks for any information in this regard as I am considering buying a new "Hawken", but have little or no knowledge regarding various potential makers.

Just to throw some names out of hawken builders that Ive seen.  And I am no expert on Hawkens. But Ive seen some nice Hawkens on Track of the Wolf by the following ,George Nelson, Brant Selb, John Bergmann. Some were more authentic looking than others depending on the butt plate used.  But I am not that hung up on that. And there seems to be alot of argument about what is authentic and what isnt. But the general consensus seems to be that Don Stith has the most authentic parts and stock patterns.   Some of these buildsI saw on TOTW were TOTW parts and some were Stiths but all of them seemed to be put together well and were eye pleasing. And I believe all of these gentleman are still taking orders.  
So you should decide how authentic you want this gun to be. And what stock pattern to use. Don Stiths stocks seem to have less drop than others Ive seen.

Ive also seen some nice Hawkens by Steve Zihn. I believe he is from Wyoming.   I think he is a CLA member also. So you can get contact info.
Those Louie Parker hawkens are something.
But for me I was mesmerized by Taylor Sapergia's fullstock he showed off here that was built from Stith parts.  And the last halfstock Taylor did for himself was a beaut.
Boy there is something about a nice Hawken.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:50:50 AM by doulos »

Dogshirt

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 04:40:35 AM »

Just to throw some names out of hawken builders that Ive seen.  And I am no expert on Hawkens. But Ive seen some nice Hawkens on Track of the Wolf by the following ,George Nelson, Brant Selb, John Bergmann. Some were more authentic looking than others depending on the butt plate used.  But I am not that hung up on that. And there seems to be alot of argument about what is authentic and what isnt. But the general consensus seems to be that Don Stith has the most authentic parts and stock patterns.   Some of these were TOTW parts but all of them seemed to be put together well and were eye pleasing. And I believe all of these gentleman are still taking orders.  
So you should decide how authentic you want this gun to be. And what stock pattern to use. Don Stiths stocks seem to have less drop than others Ive seen.

Ive also seen some nice Hawkens by Steve Zihn. I believe he is from Wyoming.   I think he is a CLA member also. So you can get contact info.
Those Louie Parker hawkens are something.
But for me I was mesmerized by Taylor Sapergia's fullstock he showed off here that was built from Stith parts.  And the last halfstock Taylor did for himself was a beaut.
Boy there is something about a nice Hawken.

For some of us there just AIN'T no other rifle!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:42:04 AM by Dogshirt »

Offline doulos

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 04:52:36 AM »
Anyone know anything about W.B. Selb? I saw his name in forum at one time, but
know nothing about his work.
Brant has a web site
http://www.hawkenrifles.com/index.html

Offline Habu

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 05:59:04 PM »
Bigsmoke had a Steve Zihn Hawken listed in the trading section; I was somehow fortunate enough to acquire it.  Nicely done fullstock converted to percussion, now re-converted to flint.  Last weekend it was examined by three individuals who have far more experience with original Hawken rifles than I do, and all were quite complimentary (one "call me if you want to sell it" and two offers). 

Having spent some time with it, I wouldn't hesitate to ask Mr. Zihn make me another, probably with parts from Don Stith.  Actually, I think parts from Mr. Stith would be used no matter who made it. 

willyr

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 02:02:45 PM »
If you want a "genuine Hawken" , it would be best to study as many photos of originals and select the one you like best- then find a builder to build it. While the typical rifle may look a lot like others, all the originals were hand made and some small differences are seen.
     I have to respectfully disagree with getting a "parts set" from any of the current suppliers. They will all use that hideous cast entry thimble that adds an extra eight inch to the forearm depth- while this may seem to be a small thing, I have yet to see a photo of an original with that extra forearm depth.
     I once took on a project for a customer tha involved a parts set he had purchased about three years previously and if three years had not elapsed, I would have sent it back for a refund. The barrel channel was tilted about seven degrees out of square with the rest of the stock and the precarving on the stock looked as if it had been done by a couple of neanderthals with a flail. It took much longer to utilize the "precarve" than it would have taken to start from scratch with a blank.
Be Well
Bill

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
"About the best anyone will do trying to copy a Hawken is to build a representative type unless the original rifle is on the bench in front of them." That is a quote from Tom Dawson who passed all too soon in 1989 and certainly the master of the art of making a real copy of these guns. Some on this list may remember his display of original and replica rifles that had the "experts"of that time fooled. He owned the long barreled Hoffman&Campbell rifle that is credited to Francis Parkman and it and his copy of it hung one over the other on a rack and confounded all who tried to figure out which was which.
If the photos are to full dimension from muzzle to butt plate,top and bottom views then a good copy can be made by a skilled stockmaker
which I am certainly NOT. I have lock plate patterns from original Hawken and other rifles including the Hoffman&Campbell and the Modena rifle. The H&C is a big lock and the Modena is surprisingly small. Same with the long trigger bar. Some of these obviously had
"Kentucky rifle"triggers installed in these longer than normal bars. I have just finished a set of these for a customer who is making a "Flint Hawken" using my modified version of the excellent Jim Chambers late Ketland.
My rant for the morning is over.Have a good day.

Bob Roller

Offline Loudy

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 02:25:39 AM »
I will totally agree with Bob Roller's comment regarding the advantage of having an original Hawken on the bench in front of you when you're building a Hawken.  I will also agree that Louie Parker builds a fantastic Hawken rifle.  Heck, everything he builds is great.  In my humble opinion Louie is one best builders and restorers anywhere.  That said, Bob Browner in St. Louis is another builder of great Hawken rifles worth mentioning here.  Bob B. has access to at least a couple original Hawken rifles.  He's had the opportunity to handle more original Hawken rifles than most people see in a lifetime.  It's the only type of rifle he builds.  He doesn't advertise.  He doesn't have a website.  He doesn't do e-mail.  He doesn't visit blog sites.  He just got his first cell phone a few months ago.  As I write this he's probably down in his shop building a Hawken rifle.  When he's not building a Hawken, he is out at the range shooting a Hawken.  It would be very difficult to find a builder any more dedicated to this type of rifle than Bob B.  He prefers custom barrels made by Mark DeHaas and others.  Yes, even the barrel grooves, lands, and twist on Bob B.'s guns are made per specifications taken from original Hawken guns.  He uses Bob Roller locks whenever he can get them (Roller locks are the best... period).  Bob B. makes his guns for shooters.  Many matches have been won with Browner built rifles.  Besides all that... I think it's kind of cool to know there is still a builder in St. Louis making real Hawken rifles!

Please send me a PM if you're interested in contacting Bob Browner.

Offline Herb

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 02:35:19 AM »
Neill Fields of Vernal, Utah built Hawkens at the old Green River Rifle Works, probably more than anyone else there.  He has now built about 420 muzzleloading firearms.  He builds in the traditional manner, no glass bedding, uses  linseed oil finish, etc.  He probably knows as much about Hawken rifles as most anyone.  His phone number is 435-790-1348.
Herb

Offline doulos

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 08:40:28 PM »
Herb Ive seen alot of pictures of Hawkens from assorted kits youve put together also. They are quite nice. I think any body would be proud to own one.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 01:05:04 AM »
I have to agree with Bob Roller about the Hawken rifles built by the late Tom Dawson.  I've seen several, there are none better, even today.

I will also say that Loudy is right about Bob Browner.  Bob is a quiet, unassuming guy, but builds as nice a Hawken rifle as anyone around. He will be at the Prairie State Longrifle Show this weekend.

Offline Herb

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 05:45:21 AM »
Thank you, Mr. Doulos.  I can think of 10 I've built but five of them were from the stick and my parts sets, not kits.  Three were Green River Barrels and I'm now building with two more of them.  I did a search on Hawken Rifle, Herb, and checked both options and found two of them.  Both of these were from blanks, the engraved one has a Douglas barrel.
Herb

Offline Loudy

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 06:29:28 AM »
I didn't want to give out Bob Browner's contact information without his permission.  I talked with him this week and he gave me the okay to post his phone number.  Bob can be reached at (314)918-9092. 

Mark Loudenslager

Offline redwood

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 06:04:03 AM »
  rbs, I have the email address of a guy who has a Brant Selb Hawken for sale .56 cal, looks real nice. If you want the email address email me at ektodd@windstream.net I don't know the owner and am not endorcing the rifle. Just letting you know one is available.

Martin_G

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 12:57:04 AM »
I'm having Steve Zihn build a Hawken for me in a few months. He's been to the Cody Museum on several occassions and he has had a chance to examine, measure and handle the original Hawkens at the museum.

Over the last couple of years I have seen several Hawken rifles that Steve has built, and from what I have seen they are accurate reproductions.

I have seen work done by Mr.Selb and his builds look just as nice.

John Knaack

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 09:10:58 PM »
What is your price range? Easier to direct someone with a range in mind.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 03:36:44 PM »
Neil Fields of Vernal Utah is still building great rifles, I have one of his Leman rifles, and have seen quite a few Hawkens he built when he was liveing for a couple of years in South Australia when a local bussines man bought the Green River Rifle company name.
I don't have his phone number at the moment as I am up north at work and won't be home for a couple of weeks. Pm me and I will get back to you indue course.  His number is 435-790-1348

Cheers

Gordon
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:10:17 PM by heelerau »
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !