Author Topic: J.J. Henry Lancaster Pattern Flintlock Rifle  (Read 16649 times)

hawknknife

J.J. Henry Lancaster Pattern Flintlock Rifle
« on: February 24, 2012, 01:30:09 AM »
This flintlock trade rifle is in original flint, 44 inch swamped barrel. 53 caliber or 32 ga. Rifled with a pretty nice bore. The patchbox is tight with a crisp button release.  The rifle is all original, lockplate is marked "J.J.Henry Bolton" and the top barrel flat is marked in script, "J.J.Henry" with three small stars before and after the name.

From what I can determine this rifle was the most widely used gun of the early Fur Trade and were bought from 1820 to 1840 by the various fur trade companies.
I believe this is a very rare Kentucky rifle and the survival rate is very low. A few years ago, I bought a JJHenry with the same patchbox design, checkered wrist, which had been commercially converted to a half stock rifle and a new percussion lock fitted. I hope some of the more knowledgeable Eastern PA rifle collectors could provide more information on this flintlock for me. The main problem with the rifle is it has had some rough handling as there is a small piece of wood recently broken behind the cock from just sheer abuse.

Thanks,
Carl
www.hawknknife.com
hawknknife@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 12:13:08 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: J.J. Henry Lancaster Pattern Flintlock Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 01:51:47 AM »
If it could tell the stories!  Love guns like that.
Andover, Vermont

Offline spgordon

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 02:06:06 AM »
Probably made between 1822, when J. J. Henry bought his brother's share of Boulton, and 1836 when he died.

Why is this called a "Lancaster pattern"? J. J. Henry began as a Philadelphia gunsmith and then moved permanently to Boulton--and never trained or lived in Lancaster. (His brother Abraham was a Lancaster gunsmith.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:09:36 AM by spgordon »
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

hawknknife

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:31:08 AM »
The term Lancaster pattern or American pattern was the name used for this style when ordered by the fur trading outfits.  I realize the name is Boulton and not Bolton on the lock, just an old senior moment.  Henry had a later model called the English pattern rifle, the New English scroll guard and the steel mounted rifle.  These were not as widely used in the mountains according to The Museum of the fur Trade.

Sean

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 02:51:17 AM »
Spectacular gun!

Sean

dannybb55

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:23:31 AM »
This is my other favorite rifle, Winchesters, Sharps and Hawkens showed up once the West was safe enough for Walmarts. Henrys did most of the work in the Fur Brigades, eh Sean?

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 03:58:17 AM »
What a great find; thank you for bringing it around. The architecture and the patchbox design probably mark this gun as being a 'Lancaster' gun. The sideplates and the finial are clearly of that style. Haines and Hoake used an earlier variation of this same design. Dickert and Gill did too, if memory serves well; at least the finial shape. The checkering is somewhat like that favored in Lancaster among many of the later makers such as Gibbs and the Fordney crowd.
The dates that have been mentioned above appear to be on the money. A very nice rifle, with a fine lock.  That the barrel has script signature is a nice touch, by the way. The celebrated Reedy, soon to be sold at auction has a stamped J.J. Henry lock, with the same stamping on the top barrel flat; no script. Sounds like there is a story there, but wonder if we will ever know it.   
The break above the lock is pretty minor and can be mended if you so desire. Did you have the missing piece(s)? If not, it's an easy fix.
Thanks again-Dick

Offline spgordon

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 04:15:50 AM »
The architecture and the patchbox design probably mark this gun as being a 'Lancaster' gun. The sideplates and the finial are clearly of that style. Haines and Hoake used an earlier variation of this same design. Dickert and Gill did too, if memory serves well; at least the finial shape. The checkering is somewhat like that favored in Lancaster among many of the later makers such as Gibbs and the Fordney crowd.

Very interesting. So why would J. J. Henry in Northampton County be crafting guns in a Lancaster style?
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

hawknknife

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 05:32:33 AM »
markings are clearer on the barrel

www.hawknknife.com
hawknknife@hotmail.com

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 05:33:18 AM »
Guns made for the trade were pattern guns.  The "lancaster" style trade rifle had a long life and went through some evolution over time.  Lancaster was a rifle-making center with a reputation and recognizable form that sold.
Andover, Vermont

hawknknife

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 05:36:59 AM »
link to photo album of converted JJHenry Lancaster I mentioned in first post
http://photobucket.com/jhenrylancasterconvert
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 12:13:58 AM by Dennis Glazener »

hawknknife

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 06:37:27 AM »
Dick, Good to hear from you again.  No, I don't have the broken wood, it is a fresh chip.  The gentleman I
I was able to secure the rifle from said the former owner left the gun with him with the emotion of dropping off his laundry.  I've included some old pics of my J.J. Henry conversion...Thanks for all the kind remarks...Carl

Sean

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 06:40:16 AM »
Can that one go in the virtual museum collection?

Sean

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:27:20 AM »
Carl, we can all rejoice that the grand old rifle has found a good home at last. The break may have occurred when someone tried to pry the lock out and broke the wood doing so. Well, it is a grand old thing, and good on you for having it!
I wonder if the second gun you posted, the half stock, isn't a deluxe edition of the usual plain half stocked gun that seems to show up at every gun show. Some of these are stamped US and are thought, by some, to be Indian treaty/ration guns. I don't think that this has been proved, but it could be. This gun looks like an original percussion even though it has a two bolt lock. I couldn't see any filled in holes in the plate and the engraved border around the plate is continous; not broken at the bottom where the feather spring was mounted. Usually, the line is interupted at that point on a flint lock. I guess that they felt that since no one could see it there, why do the extra engraving.
Again, thank you and it is a pleasure to correspond with you once more.
Regards-Dick

Offline Duane Harshaw

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »
that is a real beauty,if it could talk .the stories it could tell..
Coaldale Alberta Canada

Sean

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 03:30:05 PM »
Carl,

You rarely find one of these with the nose cap intact.  What's your take on that one?  It looks like an original 2-piece cap with a solder joint that is failing.  Is that accurate?  How is it attached?  Copper rivets?  How many and where?  You really don't see Henry trade rifles showing up in that kind of condition very often. Great find and I'm glad it ended up with someone who will preserve it and share it with us.

Thanks,

Sean

hawknknife

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 07:08:59 PM »
Sean, Yes, the nose cap is a two piece soldered construction and I'm sure it is original to the rifle.  I can't see how it is attached, there are not any rivets that I can see.  I haven't pulled the barrel, probably won't. 
    I would be pleased for it to be added to the virtual museum.  I don't have a clue how to do this.  When I feel better, just got out of the hospital, I'll pull the lock and get my son to take some high quality pictures of it.  Should I send them to you? 
    Gentlemen, I appreciate the help...Carl

Sean

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 06:14:02 AM »
Carl,

Here's the link for submissions:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=2195.0

Sean
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 12:14:28 AM by Dennis Glazener »