Author Topic: "Golden Age" Characteristic of the Kentucky Longrifle  (Read 10912 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
"Golden Age" Characteristic of the Kentucky Longrifle
« on: December 03, 2008, 03:13:48 AM »
I have been wondering if we can update Kendigs definition of "Golden Age" longrifle characteristics. Please elaborate on and prioritize or rank the characteristics (any) you would desire to have on a longrifle to designate it "Golden Age."
Thanks
Hurricane

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: "Golden Age" Characteristic of the Kentucky Longrifle
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
I think Kindig saw Golden Age as after the Revolutionary War and before the percussion system was adopted on longrifles.  There is so much variability across this time period, let alone between "schools" that seeking to define criteria is perhaps futile.  Since Kindig wrote the book, he got to decide.  "Golden Age" for me, would reach a little earlier than most of the Kindig series.
Andover, Vermont

timM

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 07:59:55 PM »
I believe that Mr. Kindig’s application of the term “Golden Age” referred to a period of gun making that started after the Revolutionary War and lasted for 25 years or so.  He felt there was an overall decline in Long Rifle building beyond what he considered these peak years.  I also believe his position was that post war there was a surplus of gunsmiths that had to compete for business and in turn rifle building flourished.

I am of the opinion that the “Golden Age” of rifle building was a style and not a period of time.  I have seen too many “Golden Age”  rifles that pre and post date by a large margin that time period.  I see “Golden Age” rifles on regular bases in ALR’s gun building section.  This is my interpretation.

So back to Hurricanes question,  “What makes a rifle  Golden Age”  I think the attributes that allow a rifle to fit into this category are,  superior architecture, fit and finish and complimentary design elements that predominately incorporate the use of Rococo ornamentation.  The finest rifles seem to maximize application of the design elements and ornamentation.  How engraving relates to carving and outline, being basic examples.  Maybe someone else can expand on this?  tim

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 08:36:49 PM »
I thought this would illicit more responses by now. Far be it from us, or at least ME, to re-write the "bible" by Kindig! I agree with the previous interpretations all right. With the exception of Tims part about "superior architecture, fit and finish and complementary elements, etc." While this is very true, many, many Pre-Rev guns also fit in this description.
When I think of GA rifles, my mind pictures rifles becoming much slimmer and graceful, with smaller calibers and adorned with a profusion of fine carving, fancyful engraved brass patchboxes and more numerous inlays. This going on until the percussion ignition was adapted. Kindig included Bedford rifles in his book and I guess he considered them in the GA as well even though they are mostly developed in the percussion era after the 1820s. I don't really consider them GA, but I do recognize the vast influence they had on gunsmiths who migrated westerly into Ohio and beyond. Moreso than the GA architecture.
Tom C.

• Library_mod
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 10:55:03 PM »
Thanks , to everyone for the  comments thus far. I ,too, would have thought more responses would be forthcoming. A very real but indefinable term often used  today is "artistic merit", whatever that means...probably only can be defined by the beholder....but maybe somebody can define it???
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 11:24:56 PM by hurricane »

famouseagle

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 11:58:22 PM »
Well, here's my "illicit" response :)

I would say that the epitome of the "Golden Age" was the guns made in Western PA by Kettering, Allison, Fleeger, et. al.  They show some of the finest and most mature design, engraving, and carving.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 01:09:05 AM »
I get the feeling that Kindig's " Golden Age " was the highest quality application of Rococo art applied either through wood carving or metal engraving on the " fully developed " Pennsylvania Longrifle.   

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 02:04:56 AM »
Tom,
Although the "Golden Age" certainly begins in the rococo period it lasts well into the Neoclassical and Federal period of decorative art. Patch boxes with bilateral symmetry and elliptical thumb pieces are examples that readily come to mind.

I agree with those who have said the "the Golden Age" doesn't lend itself to a beginning and end date. It is a period when, in a particular region, the finest rifles of that school or regional style were being made. 

Just something else to think about. One characteristic I would include in "finest example" would be originality of design. Some great rifles were made toward the end of the local golden age where the art work is "cookie cutter' repetition of the same box and carving and in my eye that lowers the rifle a bit on the GA scale.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Evil Monkey

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 04:35:00 AM »

I agree with those who have said the "the Golden Age" doesn't lend itself to a beginning and end date. It is a period when, in a particular region, the finest rifles of that school or regional style were being made. 

One characteristic I would include in "finest example" would be originality of design.

That's a pretty good summation and based on those credentials it would be pretty hard to place the "Golden age" at any period other than now.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 07:01:44 AM »
Ev.Mo. My sentiments, too! The best work is being done today without a doubt. The ingredient that most of today's work lacks are historical associations. 
My take on the Golden Age lies not so much in the school, but more with the makers. Some who made rifles back then were never in that category. Armstrong was a late maker but his work was solid gold. Cook was a far earlier maker whose guns would never make muster. I have seen his best work and it was not inspiring. And so it moves through the schools, the makers and down through the years.
Kindig saw the past through different eyes than we do now, as he set the standards; by today he would have revised his views as new facts emerged, of that I am sure.
He was one of the leaders in building appreciation for the American Rifle and that trend increases as we go forward, whether builder or collector. He was the real deal at the right time. We all owe him a lot for what he did.
Dick

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 07:49:06 PM »
Gary, I do agree with your statement "It is a period when, in a particular region, the finest rifles of that school or regional style were being made. "  I was more trying to define Kindig's  definition . If you read his essay on George Eister it is obvious the thing that turned him on about Eister was his application and understanding of Rococo art. Kindig later laments the lack of Rococo feel by later gunsmiths as the trade continued to move farther west and defined the end of the Golden age for Joe.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 01:59:32 AM »
My take is that the Golden Age refers to a period of time in which art & artifacts reached not only a high state of "beauty" and function but that the subject area was generally highly valued as art in the contemporaneous population.  American Longrifles were the first major American art form. Apprentices were schooled in the "art & mystery" of gunsmithing!! 

We can list a number of general characteristics of guns built between the end of the Revolutionary War and the migration to the primacy of percussion ignition. The age of the highest evolution of the flintlock rifle in America.  After this guns got shorter and plainer ... in general. Less art and more manufacturing.

I think the date of build dictates if a gun is Golden Age or not.   

I would say that many contemporary makers have created more highly evolved longrifle art than many in the Golden Age......But longrifles are not as preeminent in our society as they were in the Golden Age. And really we have builders who are better at execution of the build and art, but they have not, with a very few exceptions, influenced the design of the longrifle enough to have become and acknowledged school or style of long rifle.

So there it is..my opinion.  ;) ;) ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

• Library_mod
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 03:21:20 AM »
Challenging Dr.Time Boone: Create that list, please.
Hurricane

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 05:10:52 AM »
Artistic Merit?, that’s an easy one!

It’s the nebulous description of the indefinable characteristics that a particular rifle or gun would convey to the observer.

And I’m guilty of using the term from time to time, usually in regards as to whether a gun would be worthy or not of restoration.

To me, artistic merit would refer to a gun that has some special attribute about it, to set it apart from the ordinary.

This might be a spectacularly gorgeous rifle by one of the major makers, or even a rather plain one made by an obscure or unknown maker, but graced with a finely done patchbox.

It’s a nice term, has an elegant ring to it, opens the door for conversation or argument about the gun in question, yet is indistinct enough so no one ever has to be wrong.

John
John Robbins

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 08:45:39 AM »
American Longrifles were the first major American art form. Apprentices were schooled in the "art & mystery" of gunsmithing!! 

So there it is..my opinion.  ;) ;) ;D

Tim,

All this time I thought that scrimshawed powder horns were the first truly American art form?

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 06:07:43 PM »
This was moved in error. I just put it back.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson