Author Topic: New York State Firearms Trade  (Read 3272 times)

eddillon

New York State Firearms Trade
« on: March 17, 2012, 01:51:30 AM »
Today I received my 5 volume set of The New York State Firearms Trade.  So far I have spent 5 hours pouring through vol.1.  This set is a must for students of firearms history and collectors.  Very well organized with fantastic photos.  Wonderful source and reference.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: New York State Firearms Trade
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:58:20 AM »
They are about as nice as any gun book I have ever seen. I bought a set right after they became available, and use them frequently. The photos are like having the gun right in front of you.  There were lots of gunsmiths in the Upper Midwest who came from New York.

GrampaJack

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 02:32:25 AM »
Are the books set up by county like the Ohio books?  I am originally from Chautauqua County but I have never found a good reference. I just might pop for one volume if Chautauqua is adequately covered. Thanks, Jack

eddillon

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 04:19:23 AM »
The makers are listed alphabetically A-Z.  Right below the name is the location by city and in some instances, county.  All in all, a great set and well worth owning.  It would be a relatively easy task to go through each volume and pick out the area in which you are interested.  I am interested in Utica, Oneida and Herkimer Counties.

Online JV Puleo

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 05:20:04 AM »
I believe they are only available as a full set. To sell an individual volume would effectively make the remaining ones worthless.

Offline cmac

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:24:06 PM »
Yes a very nice set of 5 hardcover books. My local library has the set. I have spent a lot of time looking at and reading these. Many of the pieces are later than what I'm really interested in, but still great to see. Wonderful pictures. Wish they had more measurements listed

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 09:35:21 PM »
About a third of our Michigan makers, 19th century, came from New York. I think Jerry Swinney's most thorough work is necessary to properly understand Michigan rifles.