Author Topic: Flintlock signatures....by the same hand?  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Flintlock signatures....by the same hand?
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:16:52 AM »
Do the signatures on the patchbox and barrel appear to be from the same hand?  Does the squiggle after
the G make an S or just decoration?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:18:31 AM by Rob Watt (suzkat) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Flintlock signatures....by the same hand?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 01:09:27 AM »
These look like New England guns.Just want to throw out something for you to think about.If you study a lot of new England guns from different makers one thing that you will notice is how similar the engraving is across a wide spectrum of makers.It defiantly opens the possibility that the guns were engraved by an traveling engraver rather than the gunsmith.Just a thought to add to your study.

Mitch

Offline nord

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:43:19 AM »
Unlikely in my opinion. Cursive was a basis for education in those days. If one could read and write, then style would be passingly similar.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

BGC

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 02:04:51 AM »
I'd venture a guess that the squiggle after the G is just the tail end of the G. Also would say that the same hand engraved both signatures.  The builder and the owner of the gun. Unless the owner had some engraving skills, I doubt that he could engrave his name in the patch box so uniformly. The n and e in Jones are pretty similar to the n and e in Allen.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:06:31 AM by BGC »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 03:20:03 AM »
My thinking was this....On the N of both, the verticles are heavier than the
horizontals.  The N leans slightly forward in both with the round top of the N
being toward the right.  The E is much heavier on the backside of both and the
shapes are nearly identical with the loop of the E fading as it approaches the
C part on both.  Where they are comparatively heavy and light makes me think
the same person who worked from the same angles did this work.  I would like
to see another name done by Silas Allen to compare more letters.  If anyone has
one, please post it. 
   On another topic, does anyone know when flintlocks marked Ketland & Co.
with another word above that looks like it starts with A L were produced?  I'd like to pin down the timeframe the gun was made if the lock is original.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:37:56 AM »
suzkat, does the rifle appear to you stylistically to be by Silas Allen?
Wayne Elliott

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 02:56:08 PM »
suzkat, does the rifle appear to you stylistically to be by Silas Allen?

Yes...Joe Puleo Took a look and felt it looks exactly right...Allport marked Ketland & co lock  1816-1823... architecture and hardware just like the "rising sun" rifle except nose cap is buffalo horn rather than pewter... and the only wire inlay is around the cheek star. The patchbox has a horse head finial.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:17:28 PM by Rob Watt (suzkat) »