Author Topic: Flintlock longbeard  (Read 5068 times)

Offline wattlebuster

Flintlock longbeard
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
Well I took a vacation day an layed out of work an got in the woods well beafore daylight an heard NOTHING. I thought I had wasted a day but I got lucky. I walked an called then about 10 am I heard one way off. I went his way about 100 yrds an set up an got him cranked up gobbling good but he still took his time coming in. He gobbled his last time at 11 am sharp cause the Caywood 12 ga busted his wattles an blew off bout half his beard with some copper plated 4s at 28 steps. He's got a 9 1/2 inch beard (or whats left of it) an 1 inch sharp spurs an weighs about 18 lbs. It was a good fun hunt. I hope everyones season goes well for them ;D

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Shovelbuck

Re: Flintlock longbeard
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:06:13 PM »
Nice!!!! I've got about a month til our season starts. Congrats!!!!
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

roundball

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 11:26:27 PM »

He gobbled his last time at 11 am sharp cause the Caywood 12 ga busted his wattles

Fantastic...that's gettin' it done, congratulations !!

(PS: Don't take so long between photos...some serious ground shrinkage by the time you took that last one)

cahil_2

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:39:02 PM »
congrats!!  Nice bird!!

Offline acorn20

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 11:49:39 PM »
Nice job with your flinter!  Congrats!
Dan Akers

Offline rudyc

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 04:09:12 AM »
Good deal, thanks for sharing.
I can't go until the 18th of April. Hearing about someone's hunt just fires me up more.

rudyc
"It's a good day for something"

Vomitus

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 07:32:18 PM »
  Good job sir! I am sooo envious of you fellows that have turkeys to hunt. I'd really like to try it with a smoothie or a flint rifle. Long ways to drive for us northerners. Thanks for posting!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 04:17:02 AM »
Sir I truly feel sorry for folks that dont have turkeys to hunt. I've been doing it for so long now that I guess I just take it for granted that everyone has turkeys. We are allowed 5 per year an our season runs mar 15th thru last day of april. I hope that one day you can feel the ground shake an the leaves flutter as a big longbeard gobbles straight at you from 25 yrds away. It will make your heart jump out of your chest. ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Bentflint

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »
You are so right wattlebuster. Last spring I was in a windrow with Tom about 10' away. Called him in across a 100 yard field gobbling all the way. I couldnt see him but, he kept drumming at me. He would snap his wing tips on the ground and then everything would just vibrate. Made my frizzen rattle. Coolest sound I ever did hear. He had pinned down, I didn't move for I don't know how long. If he would have just walked back out in the open where he came from without circling in beside me. After a while he just walked away like he knew witch way I was facing.

I just can't help thinking those old birds know something I don't.

I thought to myself, I'll see you next year. Well, next year is here, wont be long now.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 04:38:17 AM »
Bruce he DID know and I think they enjoy doing those things to us poor folks that have the sickness that I call spur fever. I've had them circle me an stay behind less that 20 yrds drumming like that for 45 mins before. IT WIIL TEST YOUR NERVES. Good luck on him. an by the way you build some beautiful flintlocks ;D

Bentflint

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 04:53:41 PM »
Thank you very much.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 07:23:49 PM »
You really know how to collect those turkeys with aplomb.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Bentflint

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 04:43:30 PM »
Hanshi

I would have thrown aplomb to the wind and jumped up and tried for a shot but , alas, my legs were asleep.