Author Topic: Chunk Gun  (Read 2449 times)

MeatStick

Chunk Gun
« on: March 27, 2012, 10:01:58 PM »
I have been wanting to get a chunk gun and came across a Bill Large 50 cal. It seems to have been well maintained, nice wood. He said it was called "Baby Luther". He is asking $800, what say you all, good deal or keep looking?

Offline Don Getz

Re: Chunk Gun
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 12:09:18 AM »
How big is the barrel....(diameter)? and what kind of lock is on it?...........Don

Paul Griffith

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:13:31 AM »
To me it's all about the barrel in that piece. Large barrels are interesting. You will find barrels out there that are nothing less than perfect. AND....you will find barrels that fall somewhat short of that.  I've seen his work that was rifled deeper than deep & people had trouble making them do much. I've seen them that were, shall I say, less than smooth. So take a jag & the tightest patch & some oil & feel the inside of that tube. If it cuts the patch or you can feel irregularities in the diameter, it's less than ideal. Also look at the depth of rifling, compare it to a Getz or Green Mtn, ect. Deep rifling can be hard to seal up.

And, of course crawl in behind it laid on a chunk. The trend years ago was to build reproductions of of old rifles & the fit can be rather challenging.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:42:10 AM »
$800? I would keep looking. I have heard of Bill's barrels changing hands at one half that price and maybe even less. I am not sure now how to authenticate one. His grandson made a few after Bill died and used the W.M.Large semi circular logo but I don;t know how good they were.

Bob Roller

MeatStick

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 04:03:45 AM »
This one does say W.M.Large I'll go back and look a little more.