Author Topic: Jaeger  (Read 7147 times)

msmith

Jaeger
« on: December 04, 2008, 05:14:48 AM »
What are the titles of some books that have good information on Jaeger and early German and Swis Flintlock Rifles?Where can one purchase? The only one that I have is Shumway's collection of articles,from Muzzle Blast.Thanks M Smith

Offline Tom Currie

Re: Jaeger
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 04:30:56 PM »
Check out Jim Chamber's website www.flintlocks.com and look at the book Steinschloss-Jaegerbuechsen. It's drawn rave reviews from Jaeger enthusiasts.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:34:17 PM »
Dick Miller used to refer to a wonderful old German book he had called "Der new Stockel". Not sure of the spelling. Out of print, but may be some copies still around on the www.
Tom C.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 05:48:41 PM »
"Der Neue Stoeckel" (it's Danish, I think, I don't know what it means) is a listing of gunsmiths and locations.  As I understand it, there are no illustrations (maybe some makers marks...)

Go to www.hermann-historica.com and buy the last 10 years worth of their auction catalogs.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline t.caster

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 08:13:36 PM »
Thanks Stophel, I hoped someone else was more familiar with it. I never saw it.
Tom C.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 08:37:19 PM »
Dick Miller used to refer to a wonderful old German book he had called "Der new Stockel". Not sure of the spelling. Out of print, but may be some copies still around on the www.

It was out of print when it was in print.   :-\
It is written in German, so you need a translator to read anything in it.
I tried to locate it maybe 12-15 years ago.  It is in several volumes, each selling for over $500 apiece.  I was able to locate a complete set but it was $1500 and I would only have gotten about $200 worth of use out of it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

msmith

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 11:53:18 PM »
To all who replied Thanks.Shumway refers to Der Neue Stockel by Dr. Eugene Heer.I did not  know that it is in German,I have problems with English.I will check all the others.Thanks for all the help,m smith
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 11:55:57 PM by msmith »

doug

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 08:04:02 AM »
To all who replied Thanks.Shumway refers to Der Neue Stockel by Dr. Eugene Heer.I did not  know that it is in German,I have problems with English.I will check all the others.Thanks for all the help,m smith

The original book was written by Stockel (in danish I think) and it was edited and republished in german with a third volume,  added by Heer hence the title of "the new Stockel".  Robin over in England has a set the new one.

cheers Doug

cal.43

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 12:44:10 AM »
afaik "Heer, Der Neue Stöckl, 3.Bde., Schwäbisch Hall 1978" is a book to find gunsmiths , the location, timeframe and their marks. A classic proof of Data book for collectors. If somebody has problems with German just ask.

a nice collectorside http://www.waffensammler-kuratorium.de/
a Jägerkorps-Büchse 1796-1810 http://www.waffensammler-kuratorium.de/prjb1796/prjb1796ti.html

Erhard Wolf

Steinschloss-Jägerbüchsen,

Kunstwerke der Büchsenmacher aus dem 18. Jahrhundert
DWJ Verlags- GmbH

Rudolf- Diesel-Straße 46

D-74572 Blaufelden Telefon 07953 9787-0

ISBN 3-936632-49-9, Preis: 99,-€

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:57:33 AM by cal.43 »