Author Topic: Dixie I  (Read 6658 times)

timM

Dixie I
« on: July 04, 2008, 10:22:45 PM »
I hope some of you find this rifle interesting. Some RCA measurements are; A- 61 3/8",...B- 46 1/4",...C- 12 7/8",...D- .950,...E- 1.60",...F- 4 5/8",...K-4 3/8",...Q- .40

tim

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Dixie I
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 04:01:44 AM »
Tim
Thanks for posting the pics.would it be possible to get some more pics of the trigger guard.A bottom view would be great.

Thanks!!
Mitch

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 05:29:59 AM »
Tim,
Thanks for moving the pics over to this board.  Tell us more about the rifle!  Interesting!  Looks like the beginnings of a banana patchbox box.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

timM

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 02:40:00 AM »
Hello Mitch,...If there are any shots in particular you want, let me know and I would be happy to supply them.

Ken,...I am not sure what the origin of this rifle is? It has typical Appalachian school features. I wonder if it isn't Western N. Carolina? It seems that Eastern Tennessee and Western N. Carolina rifles can have some details in common. I purchased this rifle out of Tennessee. I would be interested in hearing opinions concerning this. tim

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 04:52:15 AM »
It has some W. Carolina traits to me.  Henderson Co maybe?  I love the patchbox.  maybe the missing link between normal patchboxes and the banana box. 
I'd love to hear some other views on the.  There's several guys with LOTS more experience than me. 
Thanks again for posting them.  Great pics! 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 06:53:12 AM »
A very cool gun. Especially the red varnish.

Ian Pratt

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 06:13:04 PM »
Tim thanks again for the great pictures, I appreciate you taking the time to share these with us.
Ken I see what you are saying, it's got that nice curve to the toe line, the cheekpiece and comb look like it to me too.I just started working on one that has a lot of that Henderson County in it.
Wild front trigger!

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 06:53:49 PM »
Nice rifle. I like the patchbox also. The red color really sets it off.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 10:33:46 PM »
Tim

Some pics of the guard  from the bottom of the rifle so I can see the bow and the finials would be great!!

THANKS!!
Mitch