Author Topic: More versatile bench vise?????  (Read 21139 times)

LehighBrad

More versatile bench vise?????
« on: April 14, 2012, 03:24:41 AM »
I guess this qualifies in the gun building section.  ???  I'm 3/4's done on my third longrifle build using the same 'ol 4-1/2 inch Sears bench vise. This thing got me through but I,m nearing the relief carving segment of this latest build and I'd REALLY like to have a more versatile vise to hold the stock in odd positions. I thought I had seen a vise years ago somewhere that not only swiveled at its base and had jaws that could be rotated at different angles but it also had one jaw that could be angled to grip triangular shapes....ya know....like say....a butt stock profile laying on its side?? As of now I wedge a triangular piece of wood with pieces of old bicycle inner tube glued on its sides to attempt to hold the odd shaped areas of a rifle stock securely whilst carving. It works...but barely. Anyone know where such a magical vise can be bought?? Woodcraft ain't got'em and I don't know where else to look offhand.  :-[

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
Re: More versatile bench vise?????
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 03:34:25 AM »
You're probably thinking of a Pattern Maker's Vise. They're available from Midway. There's lots of makers...some very pricey. Midway lists a Wheeler Engineering model at $89.

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Luke

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:44:02 AM »
i just bought a vise from  garret and wade  its like the old versa vise,and it works great

4ster

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 06:01:31 AM »
Another vote for the Garrett Wade Versatile Vice.  I am in the middle of my second build and I purchased the vice because I suffered with my machinist vice on the first build.  The vice works well for positioning work at any angle. It is not a vice for heavy use, I'll still use my machinist vice when I want to really wail on something with a big hammer.
http://www.garrettwade.com/garrett-wades-ultimate-versatile-vise/p/05R10.10/

A member here recommended a set of urethane pads for holding pieces firmly.  I highly recommend a set.  They really have made working on a precarved pistol stock a piece of cake.  They fit the GW vice with only about a minutes worth of filing to get a good fit.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22186/Product/ELASTOMER-PAD-FOR-MULTI-VISE-trade-

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 06:45:37 AM »
Wow!  They are really proud of those elastomer pads!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 07:13:15 AM »
I have many vice/work support systems in my shop.  They all have their drawbacks.  I own 2 versa vice's, one is mounted on a pedestal with Delron jaw inserts, one, that I modified with a pivoting back jaw which is sitting in the corner. I have 1 patternmakers vice mounted on an independent walk around work station and a set of pana vice's on a walk around work station.  With all those vice combinations my favorite, easiest to adjust and use is a Wilton 301 power arm with an old Colombian 4" vice that has been heavily modified with a pivoting rear jaw.
I used the versa vice with the pivoting jaw for many years but never felt it held the work solid enough and was cumbersome to adjust with work in the vice.  After acquiring the Wilton Power arm, all the other vices are turning into dust collectors or vices when I have a friend or student over.
Dave

Tony Clark

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 03:07:42 PM »

These are good vices and very sturdy. Real patternmakers vices like the Emmert are very sturdy but I find the modern cheap reproductions to be flimsy especially when it comes to stocking.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003516/25437/WoodRiver-Patternmakers-or-Gunstock-Carving-Vise.aspx

LehighBrad

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 04:33:34 PM »
Alright! Thanks once again fellas!! My vise shopping begins!!

LehighBrad

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 12:39:09 AM »
Just got back from the Woodcraft store. Bought me one of them there multi-axis adjustable gun carvers bench vises like Tony shown. Looks like it's just the ticket for what I need!! It's mounted on my bench and the rifle stock is snugly being held in it. Now all I need is the inspiration to get in the mood to carve. Maybe tommorrow...I'm beat. ;D Thanks again guys.

Offline rennikselum

• Jeff Rogers
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 03:22:41 PM »
Tony, nice piece of wood in the vice... More so nice rip saw, Is that a Disston D8?

I too am looking for a new vice. This is the one I'll be purchasing.

Jeff

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 04:14:27 PM »
A Powerarm will never wear out, this one is over 30 years old. This one has worn out 2 cheap vises. This one I put a new screw in a few years back, first one I just replaced.

I could not function without it. Very positive and will hold a significant amount of weight at any angle.
It will absolutely spoil a person.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

dannybb55

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »

These are good vices and very sturdy. Real patternmakers vices like the Emmert are very sturdy but I find the modern cheap reproductions to be flimsy especially when it comes to stocking.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003516/25437/WoodRiver-Patternmakers-or-Gunstock-Carving-Vise.aspx

Nice saw. Is it a Diston crosscut?

Only Round

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »
 Or, for a bit less $ (under 50) you could pick up a Parrot vice from Grizzly;
http://www.grizzly.com/products/H3302
  Add the tilting jaws for another $15- been working great for me.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 02:38:55 AM »
The bottom of my new Garret Wade Versa Vise,,has Parrot cast into it............ I have some of the tilting jaws and they work surprisingly well... foe wood. Metal tends to tear up the cork... I will replace it with leather.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:39:29 AM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 06:20:58 AM »
I bought a Wilton 5" that swivels vertical and horizontally and you can lock it into place. With some jaw pads it works well on nearly anything you want to hold. I ordered it on line for about $100.00 on sale with free shipping. It is made in China, but it's a high end Chinese junker! :^)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 03:02:39 PM »
Dannybb55 - Looks like a Lakeside Rip saw to me, possibly...... ???

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 03:40:32 PM »

Curtis

I am quite sure it is a Henry Disston D-8.  It appears to be identical to one I have.

Laurie

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 11:32:16 PM »
Check with Mike Lea, his is a modified Parrot vise but works well for me. I use it just for holding the rifle while shaping and carving. They are a bit spendy however. I use a 6" Wilton machinist vice for metal work. Bob

Bernard

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 09:08:14 AM »
I purchased a Multi-vise from Brownell's. I made some modifications, removable rocker Jaw insert with neoprene jaw inserts, A 360 swivel base and an adjustable tilt clutch system. I now have what I consider the ultimate gun builders vise. Would love to show photos but no attachment option is available.

dannybb55

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 01:24:13 PM »

Curtis

I am quite sure it is a Henry Disston D-8.  It appears to be identical to one I have.

Laurie
[/quote
 I love the thumbhole, my Diston doesn't. have one

Bernard

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 05:44:48 PM »
Finally found out how to include pictures in the posts.
Here are some shots of my modified  Multi- Vise.