Author Topic: Dixie II  (Read 5255 times)

timM

Dixie II
« on: July 04, 2008, 10:25:07 PM »

The last photo does not give the effect I wanted, but there is a distinct swamp to the barrel.
Thanks tim
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 05:56:33 AM by timM »

Sam Everly

Re: Dixie II
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 05:03:49 PM »
I have seen a rifle from around the Tenn / NC line, several years ago that was very close to this one . The fellow that had it said it came out of Jackson County NC , but thought it was made a little more west . That would put it made around the Tenn / NC line. It does have the flutes each side of the tang like some of Lawings rifles and the guard and tang is from some NC stuff.     

Sam Everly

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 05:11:03 PM »
Hey Tim can you get some better pics of the triggers , is that a curl behind the front trigger.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 10:24:12 PM »
The gun looks to me to have some similarities to Bull family pices, based on the few guns by them I've seen pictures of.  The guard is very unique but has the forward curving spur.  The mixed iron and brass hardware, short pointed finial on the entry thimble, the forend shaping, the shape of the patchbox, and the rear sight are similar to some pieces by both Elisha and John Bull.  But then again, not exact either.  This gun looks later than the John and Elisha Bull pieces I've seen, though.

The small dimensions of the patchbox make me think of the covered grease hole on that nice runsigned ifle in Dennis Glazener's book.

The crisp nose on the comb is different from the John and Elisha Bull pieces I've seen as well, but it is real close to some nice contemporary pieces by Andy Mock shown on Art Riser's website - perhaps Art might know whose style Andy was basing his guns on - are they later Bull guns ?

In any event it is another beauty - thanks for posting!

Guy
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 12:06:21 AM by Guy Montfort »

timM

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 03:52:49 AM »

Evening Sam, Mitch,.....Here are a few more photo's that give a little more detail.  Sam the front trigger does have some character. I guess an effort to make her a little special? I think it's a charming feature, the simplicity keeping with the nature of the rifle. tim

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 02:15:09 AM »
Thanks Tim,most appreciated!!!!

Mitch