Author Topic: Forging an Virginia iron mounted buttplate  (Read 12191 times)

Offline M Tornichio

Forging an Virginia iron mounted buttplate
« on: April 22, 2012, 07:19:34 PM »
After taking about 6 months of from forging due to an elbow injury. I am getting back into forging and rifle building. I have a squence of photos that show most of all the steps involve in forging one. The original rifle is iron mounted and very similar to rifles made by some of the sheetz family members. I am not making a copy, but I am attempting to build a rifle with many of the same characteristics.
I try to spend more time up front cutting out a blank to fit a pattern. It is not necessary, but I find that it saves time latter on when you actually make the buttplate.
As always ask if you have any questions.

Offline M Tornichio

Re: Forging an Virginia iron mounted buttplate
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 07:23:01 PM »
forming the blanks with the initial curves. These are formed in a swage block.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 07:24:29 PM by M Tornichio »

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 07:27:52 PM »
Next steps are drilling each piece and riveting them together. You also have to file the two pieces so they fit each other before brazing together.

after brazing. I used yellow brass for brazing material.

after clean up.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 07:30:16 PM »
Installing onto the stock

I thought you guys might like to see the rifle as it is coming along.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »
Great tutorial!  Thanks for posting.  
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:33:55 PM »
Excellent!  Very interesting and can't wait to see more of the rifle as it progresses.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 07:43:32 PM »
 Sir; Thanks for sharing. Interesting and helpful to newer ALF, I'm sure. I know I enjoyed the process. Looking foreward to completed project.  AJ
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 07:44:41 PM by alyce-james »
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 07:56:59 PM »
Mark--
What thickness is the material that you use?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:42:36 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 08:11:48 PM »
 I wondered where you had been.  Nice job on the BP and a good start on the rifle. Keep us posted, I look forward to seeing the guard.

Tim C.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 01:32:04 AM »
Very nice butt plate.  Is it Chevy or Ford??? ........ For some of us you have to start at the very beginning.... ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 04:15:33 AM »
Mark--
What thickness is the material that you use?
Charlie, I used 1/8th inch material which is on the thick side. I used what I had on hand. I have forged them  out of 1/16 th inch material and that works well. You just have to be right on. There is no room for error. I am planning on filing flats on the butt plate so thicker material should help.
Marc

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 02:08:37 PM »
Thanks, Mark. Very nice work.

Offline deano

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 02:50:26 PM »
Nice step by step pictures, thanks for sharing. I hope you share a similar series of pictures as you fabricate the guard for this rifle.

Ken

Offline okieboy

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 04:29:16 AM »
 Thanks Mark, good tutorial and a nice looking buttplate.
Okieboy

coutios

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 04:44:47 AM »
  Looks like another good one..................  If you come to the Cabin Saturday don't leave that rifle at home...  Hope to see you there ... Again ... Nice work....... Dave

Jack Hubbard

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 05:40:21 AM »
good pictures...very nice work...Thanks for posting them....

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
Hey Mark.....going tobring that to Lodi this weekend? Looks good, glad to see you're doing well..........

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
This will seem silly to some of you that do forge work but I haven't done anything like this and would like to know the best way to put the curve in the buttplate. I have the the return and the upper part of the bp pieces done but now I need to put a little rear-ward curve on the lower half of the bp. Right now I do not have any type of swage blocks, only an anvil, vise, forge to heat it with. The curve does not show up in the photo that I posted but its there and the convex parts stays at the top but gradually fades toward the bottom. Right now I am thinking about trying to bend it cold using a flat piece of lead for the backing and a piece of round stock laying inside then beating it out starting at the toe and working forward. Any better thoughts? Yes I am buying some swage blocks but I am not sure they would held with the curve.

I have the parts closely fitted but I will not try to braze them until I get the curvature right.
One thing I won't do again is to use such thick stock. The original is .125 stock and I had some .145 which is not much thicker but its seems much harder to bend even when hot. It might be the alloy, it came from the support leg of an old leaf blower.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline heinz

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 09:24:19 PM »
Dennis, if you heat the butt plate to a dull red you can bend it gently by tappping on the inside of the radius you want  held over the step in the anvil.  As you get the butt to curve it will draw some of the radius out of the putt plate hoizontally.  Just flip it over and tap on the inside of the horizontal radius on the same step in the anvil.  You can also put a curve in the buttplate by heating it to a little brighter red and holding the butt over the horn in the anvil and lifting with the tongs so the end is elevated above the horn and the part just beyond where you want the curve is on the horn.  You hit where the plate is off the anvil horn and it will curve down.  It helps if you have a cross peen or veritical peen hammer.  The other option is to heat it up to dull red and drop it in the open jaw of your vise ( sort of open about an inch or so ) and bend it using your tongs. 
I hope this made some sense.
kind regards, heinz

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 09:59:28 PM »
Dennis, here are some photos of what Heinz is describing. You'll need to take a good yellow heat ...you want the curved sides of the butt plate to stretch when forming the curve...otherwise they will flatten out.

It helps to have a template to compare the curve to.

John

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:59:52 PM by John Archer »
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 12:45:04 AM »
Thanks guys I appreciate that. Yes I have a cross peen hammer. It looks easy enough. Hopefully I will have time to fire up the forge tomorrow and try it.
Thanks
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

dannybb55

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 12:59:28 AM »
Beautiful butt plate. Two comments though:

1 Hold the other end of the hammer, it will save your rist from damage and make the swinging easier.
 2 Vice grips make really sucky tongs, Forge you a few dedicated tongs with 18 inch reigns and small jaws for holding the thin stuff.

Nice anvil too.
                                             Danny

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 01:48:15 AM »
Hi Danny,

This is no-effort, precise forging....the bend over the anvil is done with verrry light taps. I choke up on the hammer for this for more control. I'm probably only lifting the hammer a few inches at most.

I've got lots of light tongs but I prefer the vise grips for this. They allow your left hand to be nice and close to the butt plate. I've ground the jaws smooth so they don't mar the work. I use the vise grips for most of the small forging chores on butt plates and trigger guards.

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 03:13:10 PM »
This is my first stab at forging the butt plate and trigger guard. Dennis, I didn't have a swage block either so I cut a piece of pipe lengthwise. It worked all right, but I think I'll spring for the block. I did loose some of  the dome effect when I bent it to the final arch. Seeing this posting, I think I will do better next time, though this one is very comfortable to shoot.

Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline heinz

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 05:32:06 PM »
John, excellent pictures, and worth that thousand words.  You are correct on the heat but I usually recommend cooler for beginners. 
I hold my hammer like yours for this job.
Go for it Dennis!
kind regards, heinz