Author Topic: Help with KY Long Rifle Percussion Cap  (Read 4623 times)

wormhauler

Help with KY Long Rifle Percussion Cap
« on: April 23, 2012, 03:40:45 AM »
Please help with this rifle also. It is also a Long Rifle. The only markings on this one are on the side of the gun. L.C.C & L.

Thanks

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Help with KY Long Rifle Percussion Cap
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:18:39 AM »
You say on the side , I guess you mean the lockplate. Probably Latimer , Colburn & Co. can be marked L.G.C. &L or L. C.  & L  , lockmakers and hardware dealers in Cincinnati Ohio 1856-1861. That is not the rifle maker just the lockmaker or importer of lock. The side plate looks Ohio as does the rifle.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:08:39 AM »
The rifle has a slight "fish belly" in the butt's lower toe line, which is most often seen on Ohio or Indiana guns. The guard on this rifle has a "square shoulder" above the rear spur where it meets the rear extension; that detail is most often found on guards sold in or near Louisville on the Ohio River. The side facings are pointed on the front end; that detail is found in the midwest, often in KY and IN but also in other states. The long three screw tang is usually found on the south side of the Ohio River and is considered a "southern" detail. It would be helpful to know the barrel length and bore size...and without desassembling the rifle to make sure, I'd guess its barrel has been shortened a couple of inches based on the rear sight location. If the maker marked this gun, there would be a name, or initials, several inches behind the rear sight on top of the barrel.   Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:31:46 PM by Tanselman »

wormhauler

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 03:28:06 AM »
Thanks for looking. The barell measures 43 inches. Caliber? The best I can tell, I have nothing other than a bullet to stick in the end of it. A 45 cal lead bullet will not go into the barell. And I don't know how to tell if the barell is shot out or pitted or what shape it is in.

I did find a signature on it. Looks Like JJGarrison.

Thanks

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 02:48:30 AM »
There was a Samuel Garrison in Perkinsville, Indiana,1850-1886, and an Elias Garrison, in Clifford, Indiana, 1830-1886. Sellers (American Gunsmiths) doesn't list any with exactly those initials.

wormhauler

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 04:54:01 AM »
Gives me an idea about this gun. Way more than I started with. Thanks for all your information.