Author Topic: Bucks County 1/2 stock  (Read 12886 times)

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Bucks County 1/2 stock
« on: April 27, 2012, 02:24:09 AM »
It must be a Bucks County time of year ;D ;D Since Ron and Tom posted their nice Bucks County guns I figured I would post one I delivered this week.It's really neat to see how different builders interpert the same school.I was contacted by one of the members here.He had some parts he collected,a straight barrel,a half stock blank and a lock.He asked if I would be willing to make him a simple 1/2 stock Bucks rifle.While it wouldn't exactly be HC it presented an opportunity to try some new things including the infamous Bucks county entry pipe.The client had some ideas combined with my ideas and here is what we came up with.As always all comments are welcome.

Mitch Yates

Offline b bogart

Re: Bucks County 1/2 stock
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 02:46:56 AM »
Some one could have broken the forestock ;) One way around that HC/PC. Very nice Mitch!

Offline rf50cal

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 02:49:34 AM »
Looks good Mitch. Nice job on the entry pipe.
Roger Fleisher

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 03:26:16 AM »
That is a nice looking gun Mitch.  I would love to see it in person.  The incised carving looks really good as does the finish.  What did you use for finish?  The color and the top coat look outstanding.  Bring on the next one.
Dave

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 03:59:19 AM »
I don't know enough about the architecture to offer any comments on that. But it sure is a nice looking rifle!

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 04:41:59 AM »
Beautiful Mitch.  She's sleek.  Outstanding finish.  I'd like to know more about the finsh. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 04:56:46 AM »
Thanks guys!! The finish that I used was two coats of aqua fortis blushed between coats.My aqua fortis is 1 part acid to 4 parts water with wrought iron from old nails dissolved into it.After the second blush I neutralize with household ammonia.I then put a very thin coat of seed lac on.I used Jim Chambers oil finish for the final coats.Even though Jims oil imparts a bit of a red tint I wanted even more of a red tint so I mulled some red iron oxide pigment into the first thinned coat of oil.Be glad to answer any other ??'s

Mitch

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 05:04:02 AM »
Very welldone and handsome too. Is that a poured nose cap?  What cal. is it?    Smylee

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 05:21:01 AM »
Yes it's a poured pewter cap.The rifle was .45 cal.The cap shows a little better in this pic.

54ball

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 07:48:35 AM »
 It looks great.

The only thing that I may and I mean may have done different would be to use a wooden under rib on such an early halfstock.  The M 1803 had an iron rib so it is not that out of place.

I suspect halfstock rifles were not common in the eighteenth century but I think they were not unknown.  It would be interesting if anyone has any info on a pre 1800 original haflstock.

It may not look quite like this one but it is an interesting subject.

WMnBR

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 01:30:16 PM »
I like it.  The incise carving is excellent and the color of the stock looks very attractive.  Where did you get the iron oxide?

Meteorman

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »

once again, killer color and finish.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 03:01:35 PM »
Mitch.........great little rifle.   It really shows that long, round wrist.........something I like about those Bucks county guns.
Who cares if they ever made a half stock like this,  there's one to look at now.............Don

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »
Love the architecture and I usually don't like 1/2 stocks a lot, but I would be proud to own one that looks this good.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Herb

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »
Great job, I like it!
Herb

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 07:46:10 PM »
Mitch,  Nice job on the half stock, carrying the stock out 3-4" beyond the entry pipe adds a lot to the architecture of a gun like that.   The poured pewter cap is nice, but you could have used a short open ended Bucks Co. nose cap, and she would have really looked like a cut down full stock.   The underline looks like style often referenced as "extream Bucks,"  There are a couple by the same hand and both have very slim side opening patch boxes.  RCA 53 I think.  you did a good job of replicating the carving and engraving commonly seen on classic Bucks Co. guns.  A gun your client should be proud to own and use. 
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
WMnBR
I normally get my pigment as a byproduct of making aqua-fortis.On this rifle I was out so i got a lifetime supply here at Kremer pigments. Link:http://www.kremerpigments.com/

Mitch

Offline kutter

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 11:09:29 PM »
That is just a great looking rifle..

I have always liked a half stock,,as far as Flint Long Rifles are concerned, is it fair to assume that they are a true rarity if originally built as such?

WMnBR

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 02:03:00 AM »
WMnBR
I normally get my pigment as a byproduct of making aqua-fortis.On this rifle I was out so i got a lifetime supply here at Kremer pigments. Link:http://www.kremerpigments.com/

Mitch

Thanks.  I got lead oxide from them for varnish making.

54Bucks

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 02:54:13 AM »
That is just a great looking rifle..

I have always liked a half stock,,as far as Flint Long Rifles are concerned, is it fair to assume that they are a true rarity if originally built as such?

I guess as the owner of this rifle I can jump in and answer the question. I know of no surviving examples of half-stocked guns built as such of this period. The basic architecture was modeled after RCA #65. Just as a fullstocked version I already have that Ron Luckenbill made. I suppose we can blame Ian Pratt for selling me a half stock blank. Seriously.... I don't think it's such stretch of the imagination to think that many of the older guns were salvaged after a broken forestock at some point and continued to see use. Even though I know of no surviving examples of such a halfstock as this, I'll be proud to carry it and use it.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 03:08:54 PM »
 Another Beauty Mitch.

Tim C.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »
  The idea of using a wooden rib is a neat one.I have used them on New England guns and that could of been another way to go.To be truthful the soldered iron rib was one of the things that appealed to me when suggested by the owner.Trying new things and challenges are one of the most appealing aspects of gunbuilding for me.I had never done a rib and a poured nosecap before so when given the opportunity to try those things it was a big plus for me even if the soldering of the rib caused some anxious moments.                                                                              
   I only mentioned the HC/PC issue in my original post as I knew it would be an issue for some.The object of this site and a big reason builders post their guns here is to inspire and educate.This rifle shows that a pretty nice rifle can be made using less expensive parts(straight barrel and half stock wood).the cost of parts is sometimes an issue with new builders.I am constantly inspired by others work posted here I hope my posts do the same for others.
  If you study Ohio Rifles you will see many half stocks that are pretty close to their full stock cousins made further back in the East.As the gunmakers trained in the east moved west the styles they trained in moved west.While many of these rifles are percussion a flintlock is not outside the realm of possibilities ;D ;D ;D

Mitch
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:15:51 PM by aka tallbear »

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 07:40:30 PM »
Mitch, I have done a couple 'what if's'. My thinking was, Yorkish type guns taken west, suffering damage and repaired in Ohio to a half stock, swamped barrel with about an inch removed, and a wooden rib, cast nose piece applied. I think they turned out to be a nice trim pair of guns. Never thought of doing that to a bucks county. Yours is very nice thanks for showing it.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 02:34:47 AM »
I just noticed I drooled all over this keyboard. Oh, well, it was worth it to gaze upon your gorgeous Bucks rifle. I never saw a half stock Bucks before but it's quite beautiful and graceful. The incised carving is great. Congrats on a job well done.

woodburner

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 05:52:52 AM »
Great job! :o  For me using a half stock seems to bring focus to the
gracefull lines of the butt stock. It is really clean and will be placed in my favorites file.
Tim