Author Topic: ALR Museum Gunsmith: Tennessee Rifle Attributed to William Douglas  (Read 7484 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
A fine example of Tennessee architecture and style, attirbuted to a William Douglas.

Hereis the URL:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=21627.0

Please comment by a reply.

The Museum Committee

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: ALR Museum Gunsmith: Tennessee Rifle Attributed to William Douglas
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 07:03:04 PM »

I don't see any Soddy-Daisey in this gun.

Don't know much about Douglas and Cocke County features, but I will say this gun looks very much like a perhaps a third or even fourth quarter of the 19th century Unicoi County gun to me - very Lawing like.

Guy

Offline rsells

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »
I agree with Guy in that I don't see any Soddy-Daisey in this rifle.  The barrel has  crude cut initials cut in the top of the barrel like I have seen on William Douglas rifles.  The (W) is clear, but a dove tail has been cut through the second letter and plugged some time in the past, so, I can not say 100% that it is a (D).  The previous owner represented it as a W.D. and it does look like the same work and type of identification I have seen on other W.D. marked rifles.  The tang is a spear point configuration and does not run up and back the comb.  The rear final on the triggerguard is long and pointed,  the front final is not pointed and is rounded, but the grip rail configuration is not like I normally see on W.D. marked rifles.  The rear entry themble has no final extending toward the rear of the rifle, but is identical to the front two thembles and is inlet against the ledge at the rear ramrod entry.  
                                       Roger Sells
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:08:03 PM by rsells »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »
That's a couple of nice rifles you have there Roger!
Thanks for showing them in the museum.
John
John Robbins

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 12:06:20 AM »
Did not know the tang was spear point - that would  not be typical for Unicoi  - would be expecting one of those long over the comb things. So this one is a bit of a mystery.

Guy

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 05:21:17 AM »
Any chance of getting a picture of the tang? 

For the benefit of folks not knowing TN counties I marked Cocke and Campbell counties on the map.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 12:05:42 AM by Dennis Glazener »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline rsells

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:32:49 AM »
I will get pictures of the tang,  triggerguard finals, and entry themble when I can get my camera back from my daughter.  I loaned it to her about two weeks ago, and haven't been able to get it reeled back in yet, but will get it soon and send you some photographs.  I have a hard time getting my photo's on the ALR for some reason.

I really like the profile, butt plate, triggerguard, and nose cap on this rifle.  I have copied the hardware several times to build rifles, but I usually put less cresent in the butt plate.   I have three originals and this one is close if not the one I like the best.
                                            Roger Sells
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:38:16 AM by rsells »

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 11:01:47 PM »
This rifle was made by William Lawing.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 03:49:30 AM »
 ;) ;)... Bill,... could you post some better pix of this one,..? ... I have seen other "attributed  "Wm. LAWING" rifles with these incised lines on the butt,... 

Offline rsells

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 04:30:44 PM »
Bill is correct.  A bit over a year back I ran into a fellow at a show who collected TN rifles, and he said I was incorrect about who made my rifle.  We talked about it a bit and he took me over to his table and he had a couple William Lawing rifles on display.  They had identical features as my rifle.  The characteristic that really changed my mind about who made the rifle was the scribed line running from the back final of the trigger guard to the toe plate that was put there during the making of the rifle.  All of the rifles he had on his table made by Lawing had that identical characteristic.  The owner I purchased the rifle from was incorrect on the maker.  I agree that my rifle was also made by William Lawing.  Sorry for the bad info on the rifle.
                                                                                                         Roger Sells

Offline scottmc

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 04:25:38 PM »
I was always in doubt of the attribution only because it didnt have many similarities to the few I've seen.  I am currently the care taker of the other W.D. in the museum and it has a few similarities to the one that was on display at the Smokey Mountain heritage center such as the treatment of the wood where the entry pipe is, brass pipes and also the tang shape as well as stock profile.  The trigger gaurd extensions are not pointed but rounded.
Remember Paoli!