Author Topic: Really, Really Cheap Horn....Overhauled  (Read 16194 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Really, Really Cheap Horn....Overhauled
« on: May 22, 2012, 07:10:14 AM »
A ways back, I purchased a couple of really, really cheap horns for my then 9 and 13 year old nephews, basically to use as toys.  I overhauled one for the eldest a couple of years ago and the result I posted here:

http://americanlongrifles.org/old_board/index.php?topic=1811.0

However, I forgot to take any pictures of the horn before I started.  So now the youngest one wanted his horn improved a little.  This is the $17 horn I started with:

I asked him if he had anything in mind for his horn and told him I probably could not do much engraving because the horn was so dark.  He's into pirates about now and wanted to know if I could do anything on the horn that was from Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island".  I wasn't sure I could do much but said I would give it a try....I shouldn't have asked !

I made a new base plug, applied an antler tip, and made a couple of brass ring fittings to attach a strap.  The map is from one of the original contemporary drawings of the mythical Treasure Island and the ship is rigged like a mid 18th century "Hispaniola".  The stopper is turned rosewood and is supposed to look like a ship's stern lantern.  I tried to make the whole thing not look too hokey or cartoon like.

At any rate, this is how it came out......

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:21:12 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Horner75

Re: Really, Really Cheap Horn....Overhauled
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 07:32:50 AM »
Wasn't this horn posted somewhere before? __ It's uniquely different alright!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:34:46 AM by Horner75 »

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 07:35:29 AM »
Rick,

No...hasn't been posted before.  Just finished this one last night.  I have used the ship design before on another horn though.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 02:01:04 PM »
Absolutely stunning! Isn't there an old saying about making a silk purse from a sow's ear?
If my old friend Clarence LeMaster were still alive,he would say it stands out like a goose egg in a coal bucket.Can you send those pictures to me at <wvgzr@webtv.net>? I would like to keep them in a folder.

Bob Roller

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 02:42:20 PM »
Pete,
Nothing hokey or cartoonish about that horn, it is beautiful. Like Bob said about the sow's ear and a silk purse.
Mark
Mark

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 03:12:35 PM »
CARTOONISH!!! It would take the skill of a surgeon and the patience of a cigar store Indian to remake that horn. Cartoonish would be the 1851 Colt Navy relica I saw years ago with an aircraft carrier engraved on the cylinder.Cartoonish describes some of the people in high office world wide.
This horn is not cartoonish.
Bob Roller

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »
 What a horn! Dave, your engraving is incredible, the design and the layout are well thought out. Truly an heirloom quality piece.
  I think I would get another $17 horn for him to play with :) 

Tim C. 

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:17:30 AM »
Bob,

Love that line, "Cartoonish describes some of the people in high office world wide."  I couldn't agree with you more.  We have a whole host of elected cartoon characters here in California.  They are just not as amusing as Bugs Bunny and the Roadrunner when they try to run every aspect of your life....and badly at that.

I would be happy to send you the pictures.  I am a long time and great admirer of your work.

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Glenn

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 06:01:13 AM »
WOW ... That's some great work!   :o  The horn itself is probably even amazed.  ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 06:12:25 AM »
Some of them look like Sponge Bob or Phineas and Ferb. I will look forward to getting the pictures of that horn whenever it is convenient for you to send them.

Bob Roller

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 11:01:07 AM »
Bob,

Pictures sent.

Dave C
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 05:46:21 PM »
Dave - you are a craftsman. What a transition!

MarkEngraver

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 04:29:23 AM »
A fitting horn to one of the all time great stories.
Looks like Long John himself should be carrying it.

Great "before and after"!

Mark

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 03:22:09 PM »
I would gladly pay you $17 today for a reconstructed horn tomorrow.  Just kidding, but what a great transition--totally beautiful craftmanship or pirate ship.  I admire anyone that can do this quality of work.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
In addition to the artistry involved ( :o) , you have done a wonderful thing for a young man. He has a treasure to keep and remember always. Kids need more of this kind of personal and meaningful attention from the adults in their lives. I'm sure he knows he's valued and loved. That makes a difference in the transition from boy to man. Thank you for inspiring all of us to do more.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline whitebear

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
Would you adopt me as another nephew? I'll even bring the horn.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Vomitus

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 05:50:51 PM »
   Dave,your work never ceases to amaze me.Thanks!

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 05:17:40 PM »

Dave,

I have to ask, are you using gravers to do the scrim?  I've been trying my hand at it
   and to be quite honest it's pathetic.  I really need to find out what the proper tools are.

Your work is OUTSTANDING

RICH

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 12:10:15 AM »
Rich,

Thanks for the note.  I use gravers for some of the work (heavier, deeper lines), scribes (for intermediate line density and the very small lettering...most of the lettering on this horn is ~ 0.040" high and was done with a scribe), and knives for fine shading lines.  I much prefer working on whale and elephant ivory to working horn, but then horn is much easier to come by and MUCH cheaper.  I am about to do some work on hippo ivory.  I'll see how that works.  Not too cheap, but far easier to come by than whale and elephant ivory.

dave c
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:11:40 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 09:56:23 PM »
What tool is used to do these chip carvings that I see on horns?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 05:06:04 AM »
Shreck,

Just a really sharp small round gouge.

DC
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Artificer

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 10:39:16 AM »
Superb work, Dave. 

The rings and "fixtures" (for lack of the correct term) to hold suspension straps remind me of those found on "Gunner's Horns."  Was that your inspiration for them? 

I know there are a good number of original horns with those on them and I have to admit that it still surprises me when I see them as it looks like they would cause the horn to split during usage.  Did they and/or you use some kind of leather washer inside the horn so it would not split? 
Gus

rickevans

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 03:35:24 PM »
Beautifully made, a fine treasure for a young man.  Well done sir.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 07:10:04 PM »
In addition to the artistry involved ( :o) , you have done a wonderful thing for a young man. He has a treasure to keep and remember always. Kids need more of this kind of personal and meaningful attention from the adults in their lives. I'm sure he knows he's valued and loved. That makes a difference in the transition from boy to man. Thank you for inspiring all of us to do more.

Amen.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 09:32:08 PM »
You got skills my friend ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning