Author Topic: Kentucky Pistol  (Read 2975 times)

4ster

Kentucky Pistol
« on: May 26, 2012, 08:42:10 AM »
Just wrapping this up.  It was supposed to be my winter project but it took until spring to finish her.

This is from a Chamber's Kentucky pistol kit.  It has a .50 caliber swamped barrel and uses their small Siler lock.  I wanted to carve a shell at the tang but chickened out.  This is my second build and felt unsure that I could execute more than just shaping the stock without it looking kludged.  I need to start practicing carving on some scrap before my next one.   I also need to reset the nose cap with a new rivet, for some reason the hole shifted and there is a wider gap between the nose cap and the stock than I'd like.  I'll fill the hole with a wood plug and re-drill to bring the cap in to the stock when I get a replacement rivet.

So, the reason to show pictures is to learn from criticism, please feel free to point out where improvements need to be made.

Offline Glenn

Re: Kentucky Pistol
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 02:59:25 PM »
Good job.  Looks real good.  Must be only able to see the rivet issue if you're up close.  Nice wood finish and metal coloring too.   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 07:33:20 PM »
That pistol is as good as it needs to get. Our Art Museums gun collection has some that were never this good. I looked at one of these that Jim had on display at Friendship and I think I see why the Brits or whoever developed the saw handle pistol.

Bob Roller

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 09:40:55 PM »
That's a great Kentucky pistol. Thanks for sharing.