Author Topic: 4 in hand rasp  (Read 12988 times)

Offline Habu

Re: 4 in hand rasp
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 01:42:37 AM »
A friend picked up a set of 3 (I think) of the Austrian rasps.  After making new handles (the factory handles were way oversize), he's been quite happy with them.  He's mostly working with oak and walnut, and occasionally pecan. 

The ones from Lee Valley are OK from what I hear, but the number of cuts is extremely limited.  I saw several of them in use at a boatyard in Oregon, and the guys spoke highly of them--not least because they could afford to replace them!  Salt air and salt water and salt-water soaked wood do a nasty bit on tools of all types. 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 05:31:20 PM »
Acer;

After a couple of bad experiences with rasps, I started examining antique rifles with a magnifier, to see if I could detect any traces of the rasp. I looked in all the out of way places that might not get quite so much attention. I only found evidence of a rasp being used in a couple of instances, on very plain hunting rifles. What I did discover is that, under magnification, many stocks show almost a microscopic faceting, that I feel is left behind from planes, and scrapers. 
 The little planes I bought some years ago from Harbor Freight were made in China, and are of quite good quality.  When I say small, they are only a couple of inches long, and I always set them up for a minuscule cut. By making a couple of extra irons for each of them, with special contours, and investing in a good set of rifflers, i was able to eliminate the problems I was having with rasps. I do still have a couple  of rasps, because I find it nearly impossible to build a pistol without them, especially in the butt area.

Hungry Horse

DB

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 05:40:25 PM »
Evidence of rasps on originals should be hard to find.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »
Look under the buttplate.  That's an area where they are really invaluable, though a really sharp spokeshave does well cross-grain and I use it a lot there.
Andover, Vermont

Frenchy

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 08:22:14 AM »
To get your dull files and rasps re-sharpened contact Bogg's Tool Processing in Paramount, CA. They do a great job and are cheap compared to buying a new one.
They also have quality new files at good prices.
www.boggstool.com
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:26:08 AM by Frenchy »

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 12:50:12 PM »
   OMG! if our personalities show up in our gunstocks, some of us better take up knitting!  Curmudgens indeed!  ;>P
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 06:01:45 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Frenchie. Welcome to tha ALR.
Eric Smith