Author Topic: Let's critique this gun  (Read 35365 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Let's critique this gun
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2012, 08:34:32 PM »
A number of points brought up by others don't bother me at all.  There are several things I don't especially like but all of them are rather superficial, in retrospect.  Yes, I do like the styling and architecture and can see how not an eyebrow would be raised if it be transported back to late 18th century.  I'm certainly not one of your peers, Mike,  and can only comment from what I've seen, studied and prefer, FWIW.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2012, 10:59:25 PM »
Mike you really need to practice your signature, everything else you have down pat!! ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:00:03 PM by crawdad »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2012, 02:38:28 AM »
Mike you really need to practice your signature, everything else you have down pat!! ;D
After 314 times you would think I could get it right..... ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2012, 02:39:35 AM »
I happen to appreciate the "signature " , especially after perusing photos of originals. Check out some folks handwriting  lately ?   I think it adds rather than detracts from the work. ;D
And that is a clear indication of how subjective some of this is  8)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »
Many smiths of the early colonial days were not engravers, they were making tools. Look thru RC at the early work, some guns have blank sideplates, no engraving anywhere. An exception is hardware that was imported, and pre-engraved.

Mike's signature is 'Right' in my OPINION. So much of this critique is opinion, anyway, so you may take it or leave it.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline JDK

« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2012, 11:32:05 PM »
So much of this critique is opinion, anyway, so you may take it or leave it.

So it goes for any art from.  In my opinion Andy Warhol's stuff stinks but it commands big money.

There have been many comings and goings in comtemporary longrifle evolution too....and antiques for that matter....often based on the opinions of those willing to spend the money on the rifle as art.

It's great to have artist who go their own way as sometimes we don't know we like something....until we see it.  Mike's work is a great example of this.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2012, 01:26:07 AM »
LOL 

My wife and I were just kicking around Mr. Warhal last night! There is something about the world of art that can occasionally elevate certain folks way beyond their actual contributions. IMHO

Thanks for the man hours Mike.  Having been in charge of many, many workmen over the years; being fast is nothing to be ashamed of. Being fast AND good is something to be proud of.

Thanks again for putting your stuff out there. These threads really help me to see subtle stuff that I would otherwise miss.

Every once in a while I get the urge to try a "barn" style gun, but there is nothing simple about them and I find the thought intimidating. There is no margin for error, and guns like this and Don Getz's guns really require a ton of experience to get them really right.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2012, 01:36:44 AM »
Don't get carried away guys, I am more than capable of making the occasional #$@*. ;D One of the risks of playing around in the area of "Non standard" gun making.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:37:58 AM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?