Author Topic: Don Bruton flintlocks  (Read 10137 times)

Offline wattlebuster

Don Bruton flintlocks
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:13:52 PM »
Moderators if this is in the wrong place Im sorry an move it where ya want to.  Well I've got a Don Bruton rifle ordered an it should be here in about 3 weeks or so and would love to see if any of yall have any that you would share some pics and specs of said gun. Like anyone with a new rifle ordered Im getting kinda fidgity an maybe seiing some of yours might help. Thanks in advance ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Don Bruton flintlocks
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:27:52 PM »
Ok describe what it will be. I have a few photos of rifles that Don built. All have been nice. He normally builds early style southern rifles.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:42:30 PM »
I did not know Don was still building - always liked his work - very plausible plain early styled  iron mounted guns.

Guy

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 02:30:03 AM »
Dennis I ordered a plain maple slab sawn blank an I got a Caywood wilson lock an I got a 38 inch .62 cal swamped Charles Burton barrel. Found me a 1962 silver quarter to make the sight out of being thats the yr I was born. So I sent those parts to him and Don is going to forge the rest of the parts. He is going to make it like the one he shoots on his DVD. I think he calls that his Boone pattern but Im not 100% sure bout that. ;D
G-Man  Don has just recently started back building an he has'nt said how long he will build so when I asked him about building one like on the DVD he said he would so I jumped on the wagon while the thing is still rolling ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:28:48 AM »
Well I built a So Colonial .54  with 44" barrel and English round-faced lock (I have the Caywood Wilson on a smoothbore -Great Lock) using the Don Bruton pattern.  I think it is one of the best balanced long guns you can carry. Weighs in at just over 7 lbs.
This .54 is my deer hunting buddy!! It is my Daniel Boone Gun.  Hand forged iron mounted and something I could argue he might have carried prior to and during the Revolution.

I am sure yours will be prettier than mine since Don is building it. He is a master of interpretation.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:38:27 PM »
I have a Don Bruton rifle.  It is an iron mounted southern rifle.  I would post pictures, but I not sure that I know how on this site.  I can send pictures in an email if you wish to see them.
Mark Thomas

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 07:50:44 PM »
I have a Don Bruton rifle.  It is an iron mounted southern rifle.  I would post pictures, but I not sure that I know how on this site.  I can send pictures in an email if you wish to see them.

Here is a tutorial: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 11:57:51 PM »
Maalsral I would love to see it if you can find the time. My email is wattlebuster1962@gmail.com  Thank you very much   And Dennis thank you too

Mike R

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:22:24 PM »
Maalsral I would love to see it if you can find the time. My email is wattlebuster1962@gmail.com  Thank you very much   And Dennis thank you too

check your email for a pic of my Bruton Boone rifle...

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 12:08:45 AM »
Mike I would love to see it.  Why don't you post it here??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 04:56:16 AM »
I want to send a big Alabama redneck thank you to all that have sent me pics to my email and on this site. I enjoyed seing them all and yall have got some fine looking flinters ;D

Mike R

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 03:19:06 PM »
Mike I would love to see it.  Why don't you post it here??

I have, I think, posted it before, but couldn't find it....I'll see if I can navigate photobucket again...

Mike R

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 03:29:55 PM »

This is one pic of it....44" .50 swamped Colerain barrel, Chambers lock.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 04:13:08 PM »
My Bruton Pattern .54 44" Chambers lock rifle on the bottom

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA