Author Topic: Ian Pratt on blog  (Read 9276 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Ian Pratt on blog
« on: June 28, 2012, 04:06:50 PM »
Ian Pratt has a cool fowler on teh blog!

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Ian Pratt on blog
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 04:34:31 PM »
Yes he does, love it! Great work.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

nthe10ring

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 05:21:39 PM »
Super nice, everything just looks right, wonderfull patina overall. His work just gets better and better.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 06:27:30 PM »
Wish they had a full length profile, but from everything shown, it is a wonderful job!!! Got to put my socks back on. ;D
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 06:28:43 PM »
My oh my!!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »
Great gun, only thing is it's a !@*%&@ lefty.... I happen to be working on a lefty now, not as much fun. :-\
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 09:12:01 PM »
I like that piece Ian!! Love the look that big old breech gives the gun. Comb length/wrist is perfect to my eye for this type. Iron work is of course purdy purdy.

Darned if I'm not working on my first lefty now Mike. I'm thinking about just working by looking in a mirror to do the lock and cast : 0)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 09:44:39 PM by James Rogers »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »
Took a better look at the gun, it really is a spectacular piece of work. The carving is very imaginative and appropriately done. I really like the color too, very warm, much like the originals we all love so much. Very inspirational.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 11:39:45 PM »
Hey Ian, did you realize you put the lock on the wrong side?

Bill
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 12:10:54 AM »
The carving makes this simple gun a work of art.  The trigger guard and ramrod pipe are also simple but unique features.
Mark Thomas

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 07:21:27 AM »
Like.  Is Ian going Yankee?

Offline k gahagan

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 05:23:32 AM »
Great Fowling piece Ian, architecture, carving and especially the depth of color and tone are really well done. Hope I get to see it in person some where. Ken

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 05:29:38 PM »
Really cool work to me. Like everything about it. Color contrast, metal aging, delicate proportions, does anyone see a little art-deco look to the carving ? ... maybe it's it's just me but it sure works.

Offline JDK

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 05:53:08 AM »
Ian,

I hope that this gun finds its way to Dixon's...one way or another so that many of us can see it in person.

The carving is very well executed...as is everything!!!

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 05:19:43 PM »
  Thanks for the compliments everybody, really nice.

Yes it's left handed, I usually do work next to a mirror with these, but with this much relief carving I thought I might cut myself, so instead I drove into town every day and built it while standing in a swimming pool. No reverse image, but the shock of the cold water and the change of environment kind of put me in a different frame of mind, helped me to stay focused on the lefthandedness of the project. Shaping a floating stock blank presented some challenges.   

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 06:30:53 PM »
Oh boy, too much moonshine. I'll stick with Grain Belt. ;D

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 06:56:42 PM »
At least you're bathed.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 08:38:42 PM »
Oh boy, too much moonshine. I'll stick with Grain Belt.

Moonshine? I never touch the stuff. Building a fowler in a city pool while inebriated is too easy, and the mark of a rank amateur. Not to give myself a pat on the back, but doing it stone cold sober demonstrates an absolute unfaltering dedication to the craft. Or so I hear.

At least you're bathed.

Water? I never touch the stuff. Guess I didn't mention that I was wearing a wet suit at the time. Also, does it pass for gun building advice if I recommend that fledgling builders should have a rented wet suit properly sanitized before wearing for extended periods?

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 05:48:21 AM »
Ian........often wondered how you got those great wood to metal fits.  How long did you have to soak it in the pool to
get it right?..........Don

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 07:00:29 PM »
  Long time on this one Don -  you know how it is, fowler buttplates and round barrels just naturally have lots of inletting gaps.
  As a bonus, the chlorine in the water helps to "age" the metal. So did all that the muriatic acid they dumped in to try and chase me out of the pool. Those people had no sense of humor.