Author Topic: First build  (Read 7712 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

First build
« on: July 06, 2008, 03:12:45 PM »
I have seen some beautiful workmanship on several stocks. Are there any books or video's that show the basic's of woodcarving? Last thing I want to do is screw up a beautiful piece of wood.

THANX RICH

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: First build
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:51:36 PM »
Lurch,

Are you talking about wood carving?, or basic shaping of the stock???

If you're just getting started, architecture, and basic shaping should be the first things to worry about.

At the very least, you need a couple of books...

Either Peter Alexanders book, (can't remember then name right now), AND/OR Recreating the American longrifle, And/Or, The Art of Recreating the Pennsylvania Longrifle.

These books all cover the basics of order of build, methods, and workmanship.

It would be a BIG mistake to start any longrifle project without at least one of these to use as a guide.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 05:57:51 PM »
Rich,
There are several tapes out there that do a good job of lining out the process of carving. I have Wallace Gussler's Carving a Kentucky Rifle from American Pioneer video
and its very good. Homer Dangler has a tape as well but I have not seen it. I do believe that Homer uses a parting tool to chase out the pattern in the wood according to those who have seen it. Wallace uses the stab-in method. Having taken one of the carving classes through the NMLRA gunsmithing classes at Bowling green KY I can't say enough about the hands on instruction when it comes to carving.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 06:03:48 PM »
Lurch,

Are you talking about wood carving?, or basic shaping of the stock???

If you're just getting started, architecture, and basic shaping should be the first things to worry about.

At the very least, you need a couple of books...

Either Peter Alexanders book, (can't remember then name right now), AND/OR Recreating the American longrifle, And/Or, The Art of Recreating the Pennsylvania Longrifle.

These books all cover the basics of order of build, methods, and workmanship.

It would be a BIG mistake to start any longrifle project without at least one of these to use as a guide.
Pete's book is 'The Gunsmith of Grenvelle County"  very detailed; but jumps around some.   Chuck Dixon's book is more to the basics and best for a newbie./ :)

karwelis

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 06:12:39 PM »
i'm one my first real build. and im not even gonna think about carving. $#*! my first build is a lymans great plains rifle, i didnt want to screw up $800+ in parts and make it in to a $400 dollar gun. i think of it as ramping up my skills before the game so to speak. and i got my tip curtis kit sitting right here waiting.

karwelis

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 06:34:05 PM »
Karwelis,

There are some great tutorials on carving over on www.americanlongrifles.com   as well as some very informative posts, if you search on "carving" in the archives.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

karwelis

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 06:52:47 PM »
Karwelis,

There are some great tutorials on carving over on www.americanlongrifles.com   as well as some very informative posts, if you search on "carving" in the archives.

-Ron

yeah i know but i'm new, and i want to master the art of building a few good rifles before i start carving and engraving.

karwelis

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 01:42:44 AM »
Or, you could practice carving and engraving as you build. When you get to the point that the stock is ready for carving and engraving, you may also be ready.

don getz

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 01:47:32 AM »
Kar....they don't have to be carved and engraved to be a nice gun.  I have done a lot of relief carved guns in my life,
but almost everyone had something on it that I wasn't happy with.  That's why I now enjoy doing these plain "barn"
guns, a lot less to mess with, but they still feel good.  It's fun just coming up with a good finsh on them.....Don

northmn

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 02:43:33 AM »
Mostly I am like Don, but if you insist on carving start very simple and don not try carving the whole buttstock.  Do a simple C or S design behind the cheek piece and maybe a simple pattern around the tang.  Same with engraving, do a few simple lines.  Personally I like wooden patchboxes and other excuses for not engraving.

DP

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 03:08:41 PM »
Wallace Gusler made a video about relief carving.  American Pioneer Video sells it.  The first 15 minutes or so deals with sharpening chisels and gouges and the rest deals with the layout and carving of a 1770 or so Virginia-styled rifle.  Wallace has two or three original rifles in the video that he describes.  And Gary Brumfield teaches a carving class annually at the NMLRA/WKU course.
Good luck on your project.
Larry Luck