Author Topic: staining antler  (Read 9876 times)

ottawa

staining antler
« on: December 13, 2008, 03:44:57 AM »
i have 5 knife blade in the works right now and some deer and elk antler and was thinking on trying something other than a white handle the aged brown  or something in that line would look better
thanks
Ben

david50

Re: staining antler
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 05:27:22 AM »
i have used walnut hull stain,oil based walnut stain from the hardware store and leather dye to stain antler. all work well,although the leather dye takes several coats or it will leave a slight green color to it.

Offline trentOH

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 06:19:15 AM »
Or you could try to find an old antler, and use it. It would already be aged. Not heavily handled, but aged.

Trkdriver99

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 07:02:30 AM »
Take a torch and heat it after you polish it. Antler is hair so it will scorch and turn brown.
Ronnie

R. Hare

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 07:43:38 AM »
Horn's hair, Ronnie, antler isn't.
This doesn't affect your scorching it though!

I use Fiebings leather dye on antler, (dark brown.) don't rub it off too fast, and it'll leave a real antique look to it. 
Works best if finish isn't buffed to too high a polish.

Richard.

JohnnyM

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 05:33:59 PM »
Personally, I tend to think aging  deer antler is overdone and too dark. 
Take a look at many old measures in collections.  Most that I've seen still look kinda white, 'specially when compared to what you find on the trade table at the fairs.  Nothin' beats genuine use for that genuine patina.  It really doesn't take too long neither.  The oils from yer skin and residual dirt and grime take care of it just fine.

But if you want to cut back that just filed white gleam.  I prefer a mug of this mornin's coffee.  Dunk it in let it set a spell, fish it out.  The feibing's can give ya a golden tone, but again, can easily be overdone.   The trick is for the incised or recessed areas to appear slightly darker than the rest of the surface.  That is where the 'dark' will accumulate.

I've noticed differences 'tween fresh antler and shed antler in its composition and color.  One of the measures I made that won a ribbon at Dixon's was not 'aged' at all.  While I was filing the shape, I noticed the color change from the typical bone white to a warm lavender-brown.  This was a whitetail shed.  I've noticed this color variation more-so in elk sheds.

Sometimes less is more.

Other's mileage may vary.

Regards

bigsky

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 07:31:14 PM »
A taxidermist I know uses Old English Furniture Polish Scratch Cover - the dark colored liquid bottle.  He likes it because it both colors and conditions antler, and he can control the amount of color applied by the number of applications.  It works like a stain so color changes are not as dramatic or immediate as with a dye but this gives more control.  Just be sure to polish the antler back after application so that the ridges are not as dark as the grooves.

Warner

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 08:09:54 PM »
Boil onion skins in water ,but your horn or antler in and let sit until you get the color you want.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 08:19:22 PM »
Strong tea will work well, as will an infusion of plug tobacco and household ammonia.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Collector

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 09:49:36 PM »
What I've done:  Rub Neetsfoot Oil into/onto the antler, gradually, over the course of a few days, or so.  Secure the piece of antler, such that you can get to all sides without interference.  Using a small torch, suitable for soldering, lightly/gradually heat the antler.  The bubbling oil will act as a tell-tale, if you're applying too much heat, too quickly.  The burned/blackened antler is cooled and then rubbed back with fine emery paper.  It produces a warm brown color with some shades of a dark brown mixed in on the higher surfaces.  The lower surfaces will retain their lighter color.  Reapply oil to finish and you're done.  Practice with some scrap pieces, for yourself.  One thing I would caution is that if you have any 'defined' edges, such as on a carving, the heat will 'round' them off and there's no going back.  Three hours of tedious work, gone in under 2 seconds.  Don't ask me how I know this, the memories are still too painful.  :'(  Good luck!!   

Offline rick landes

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 04:30:33 PM »
Years ago I mounted a caribou rack that had been shot in velvet. The velvet split and peeled so I covered it with a Min Wax "Poly-Shade". It has a stain and ploy in one. Looked very nice. I am unsure how it will wear on a knife handle :-\
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Leatherbelly

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 05:18:18 PM »
  Try 1/4 cup water,1/2 teaspoon potassium permanginate and four drops of india ink. Got this from a taxidermist.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 09:40:57 PM »
Strong tea boil...like 10 bags per quart strong....simmer antler till dark, 15~20 minutes...remove and dry...hit with brown leather dye....then apply black boot polish and buff with a boot brush...this always works for me.
TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

wwpete52

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 06:56:48 PM »
Track of the Wolf sells some stuff called "Old Bones."  I use it. It works pretty good to age bones and antlers.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 01:23:27 AM »
To stain antler, horn etc. try potassium permanginate. It is a safe product that remains pretty permanant. It is a powder that you mix with water and just wipe on. Don't panic when it turns purple, it will dry brown.
Mark
Mark

ottawa

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 01:55:42 AM »
thanks for the dont worry worning ;Deven though i think the wife mite like the purple