Author Topic: Keeping a loaded gun - back in the day  (Read 14108 times)

Daryl

Re: Keeping a loaded gun - back in the day
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 02:39:40 AM »
Dave - that brings back another memory = when hunting in minus 20 to minus 50 degrees F on the Primitive Weapons moose hunt, if the rifle had not been discharged, it was left leaning against a tree outside the tent/dwelling - sometimes with a tarp over it to prevent an even frosting by morning. That way no moisture due to condensation was introduced into the bore or ignition channel that can easily cause a misfire or hangfire when the time came to kill a moose.
If the gun had been fired, it was brought inside, barrel removed and cleaned in a container of water.

Offline Mike C

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 04:24:42 AM »
Don't forget the corrosive nature of percussion priming in the old days. Fulminate of mercury will corrode a bore over night.
Mike C
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."  A. Lincoln

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 06:23:03 AM »
Worse, was the cholorate percussion caps of the mid 1800's and same in rifle and shotgun primers of later years.

stone knife

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 12:57:02 AM »
I would guess back in the day most muzzleloaders were left loaded, I would bet everyone, (most people) would be around a gun daily, it was a tool, and everyone knew it would be loaded. Not to change the subject, but, at our last shoot a guy went to pop a cap on his gun, BOOM, forgot it was loaded. chuck

I always drop my ramrod down the barrel first thing, not to do this is careless.

Daryl

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 03:25:13 AM »
We yak so much on the line, as to forget if I loaded the rifle or not, so I find myself checking mine often, with the rod- as does everyone else we shoot with. Ask LB how you load 3 time without firing?  hahahahahahaha

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 11:10:11 PM »
We only pulled two balls and charges on Sunday, in LB's defense.  And we've all done that.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Daryl

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 11:16:39 PM »
memory is the second thing to go

catman

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 04:40:07 AM »
Remember, the Hawkin brothers had a plan they would start with a 50 cal 1" accross the flats and as the trappers came back to St. Louis to trade their pelts they would have it rebord to a 54 then to a 58 if needed. Make since to me...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:45:20 AM by catman »