Author Topic: 18th Century Knife - New Pictures Added  (Read 17588 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: 18th Century Knife - New Pictures Added
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 02:54:06 AM »
Is that elijah craig talking? :P
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:55:19 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Tatonka

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 07:03:26 PM »
Here is a similar knife I have.  Identical style blade.  Almost identical touchmark.  Similar style handle.  This handle is dated 1748, and the sheath is dated 1762.

Offline Collector

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 01:45:50 AM »
Here is a similar knife I have.  Identical style blade.  Almost identical touchmark.  Similar style handle.  This handle is dated 1748, and the sheath is dated 1762.

Well, shut the back door!  Where was this one found?

There appears to be a set of hallmarks in the lower portion of the 'crest' (?) in the sterling silver handle.  The 'lion' appears to have a a 'Dutch' feel about it, artistically. 

The leather sheath is in remarkable condition, for it age, don't you think?  What do you use to keep it in that condition?   

Tatonka

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 05:01:13 PM »

Well, shut the back door!  Where was this one found?

There appears to be a set of hallmarks in the lower portion of the 'crest' (?) in the sterling silver handle.  The 'lion' appears to have a a 'Dutch' feel about it, artistically. 

The leather sheath is in remarkable condition, for it age, don't you think?  What do you use to keep it in that condition?   

I believe it came out of a collection in Missouri.  No  provenance associated with it.  I also believe it to be of Dutch style.  There appears to be two hallmarks, one looks like "FL" or possibly "FD" and the other, which is on top of the letters, is a mystery to me.  The leather is stiff.  I haven't put anything on it, but I'm sure it has had some sort of leather preservative on it through the years.  I can bring it to the KRA this year if you want to bring yours and compare.

Online Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 02:52:31 PM »
Bring it to the KRA next month, it would be fun to see it. Very cool knife!
Frank

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »
Tatonka, is that sheath just a leather pouch, or does it have a wood insert?
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Tatonka

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2013, 05:36:43 PM »
Leather, there is no wood.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
Thank you.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Online Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 08:24:01 PM »
Sorry to say that I no longer own this knife (someone else wanted it more than I did), but it should be on display at the KRA Show later this month.
Frank

seaguy

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2013, 05:08:02 PM »
How can I find stuff like this?  

Im sure you have heard "Discretion is the better part of valor"  Its a misquote of Shakespeare, but it does hold true.  15 years ago I was tearing up Ebay, and I purchsed some really nice actual 18th century artifacts, but I also payed a bunch for some fakes.  I would say spend money on books, but better advice would be to get a mentor, borrow his books, and if he is worth his salt, he will tell you what the fakes are in the books.  That will always be the bad side of any book that is written for, or by collectors.  A safer bet would be to Be a voracious reader of dig reports.  But, Sometimes folks who dig up stuff, are not experts in the stuff they dig up so do not take their word 100% that the "Iron Thunderbird birthing chamber" is not a crushed tin cook pot that had a clan ownership mark scratched on the side......

Amen, brother. No truer words about Ebay. I think manufacturers even use ebay to find out what to make and sell as vintage items. If it begins with "I'm no expert" then watch out.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:08:34 PM by seaguy »