Author Topic: Log Cabin class tomorrow 7/21 Pics added  (Read 6331 times)

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
Log Cabin class tomorrow 7/21 Pics added
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:28:05 PM »
Stop in and say hello, Ian and the crew will be there all day.
BillP
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 03:33:57 PM by BillPac »

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
Re: Log Cabin class tomorrow 7/21 Pics added
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 02:08:50 AM »
Did anyone take any pictures today?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 03:33:15 PM by BillPac »

Offline Ian Pratt

Re: Log Cabin class tomorrow 7/21
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 05:48:27 AM »
  Well since the Gunbuilder's Workshop staff photographer was on strike today I decided to take matters into my own hands. Actually I only had time to get a few pictures, we had a real busy day. We took a little time out later this afternoon for a brief demo on proper sharpening and use of cabinet scrapers, but for most of the day the guys were hard at work.

Here are a couple shots of Gregg Biebelhausen and his mountain rifle in progress. I am pretty sure this is Gregg's first rifle. He is fairly new to longrifles but has some background in custom auto / fabrication and he doing some good, careful work. He also does some blacksmithing, the buttplate is one that he forged for his project.
  He has had the opportunity to check out a couple original guns of this type and has incorporated some good traditional details into his rifle. This morning when he got started I saw he'd done some work roughing out the cheekpiece side of the butt, to me looks like it's leaning toward Ambrose Lawing's style in certain respects, kind of clean and angular.

Marc Tornichio has already posted some shots of his progress on this particular rifle, thought you all might like to see where he's at with it now. Some really nice work. He has based this one on a great old iron mounted gun that has been attributed to Phillip Sheets. Comparing it to the original he has made some changes that I really liked, namely the shape of the box finial and the form of the sideplate. Classy stuff. He needs to finish up the box release and then I think he's going to add some suitable relief carving on the cheek piece side - also a change from the original, which has none. Can't wait to see this one finished.  

Only one shot of John Gaeckle ( yes, the John Gaeckle of Hackberry Rifle fame) shown here working on drilling clearance holes in his buttplate heel using medium tech methods. John has been building some neat, different guns with kind of a primitive feel. I unfortunately didn't get a picture of the new one he has started on but we'll try to get some next time.

We're taking the next month off but will be back to the workshop September 15th. Anybody within reasonable driving distance who wants to come and hang out, feel free, visitors are always welcome.  
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 06:05:15 AM by I.Pratt »

ottawa

Re: Log Cabin class tomorrow 7/21
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:39:52 AM »
made it out today it was great . learned alot and saved my stock yippee. thanks to John and Ian
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:00:48 PM by ottawa »

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 06:15:55 PM »
 Good stuff, Thanks for the Pix.

Tim C.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »
 Ian, thanks for the pics. Mr Biebelhaussen's rifle looks really trim.
 I'm sorry that I don't know already, but could you elaborate on your relationship with the Log Cabin Shop?
 I think I'll check the mileage here to there; I could certainly use a vacation one of these days.
Okieboy

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 08:52:24 PM »
Gregg's rifle looks like it's shaping up nicely; all good to this point.

I especially like Marc's also, lots of nice details and character.  I've had the pleasure of seeing one or two of Marc's rifles in person and speaking with him.  Very impressive stuff.  Can't wait to see this one complete.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 10:41:44 PM »
I'm sorry that I don't know already, but could you elaborate on your relationship with the Log Cabin Shop?

Sure  -  They are friends of mine, good people. I live about a half hour's drive southeast of them. They have a real nice facility for gun building classes and they allow me to go in there every so often and create a noisy public disturbance. I have a monthly gunbuilder's workshop there, you are more than welcome to come on up to any of them. We are used to visitors, anybody can come and hang out, no charge. Often times people who are not on the roster bring in projects to work on, there is plenty of extra bench space. Occasionally we have a mid day presentation or demo of some description.
  Only one Saturday a month so make sure and call ahead to check on dates.

chuck c.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 05:18:49 AM »
Wow Marc your work just keeps getting better and better! Can't wait to see pictures of the finished rifle. You guys are really lucky to have someone like Ian looking over your shoulder while you work. I'm getting ready to attempt an over the comb tang and I'm pretty apprehensive about it. Wish I could attend the workshop.

Don Tripp

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 07:07:49 AM »
I would love to attend one these! It's only 174 miles from my house :)

Offline heinz

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 04:06:57 PM »
Don, I travel over from south of Pittsburgh.  Well worth the trip.  There is a nice KOA in Homersburg where my wife and I camp overnight sometimes.  And there are actually a couple of decent restraunts in Lodi and an awesome Dodge Charger police interceptor.  And the Log Cabin shop itself usually has at least one of everything you might need.
kind regards, heinz

Don Tripp

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 04:48:21 PM »
.......an awesome Dodge Charger police interceptor.
??????????????????

As a motorist with Michigan license plates on my car, I've never been overly fond of the Ohio Police. It can be like traversing a mine field for a Michigander traveling through Ohio, especially when U of M beats Ohio State but I would risk it for this experience.  :D

I've had an obsession with iron mounted rifles and the Woodbury School for a number of years. I know this would be a great experience. I'm afraid that I'd get hooked and the trip would become a habit.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »
Great pics Ian! Thanks for the kind words by the way......

...........just to let everybody know, the Log Cabin is having their Trade Fair in October.....it's the 12th and 13th.......lots going on and a great opportunity to meet and greet some very talented folks. C'mon in and over, pull up a chair, rub some elbows and chew the fat so to speak!

lizkin

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 11:41:38 PM »
The next class is scheduled for September 15th. In addition to the class John Kolar, coauthor of The Lancaster Long Rifle, will be giving a presentation on the book, the exhibit, and collecting. This presentation is FREE and open to the public. John will start at 10:00 am. Tha address is: Log Cabin Shop 8010 Lafayette Road Lodi, Oh 44254. Please contact us with any questions. Hope to see you there!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:43:22 PM by lizkin »