Author Topic: Finishing surface of brass inlay without leaving residue in wood?  (Read 7645 times)

JohnTyg

Hope this doesn't seem like too dumb a question.

What is the best way to avoid carrying dark residue into the wood when finishing a brass inlay??
I know steel wool and  emory cloth is out, but even fine sandpaper seems to carry a dark residue into any grain openings in the wood around the final of my patch box.

John

PS: Sorry for posting yet another photo of my patch box (although I am admittedly pleased at how it turned out).

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Finishing surface of brass inlay without leaving residue in wood?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 05:03:23 AM »
I use a big pink (or White) rubber eraser.

Also, try to dust off any brass as you work, so it does not get ground in.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 03:22:09 PM »
Don't appologise for the pic. of your patch box, If it were mine, everybody on this site would have a picture!
Great job!
When polishing your brass apply some green painters masking tape on the wood.
Do yor polishing then remove the tape.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 04:40:10 PM »
Carburetor or Brake Parts Cleaner will remove it.  Just spray until its all flushed off.  It don't hurt nuthin and evaporates quickly.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:40:33 PM by T*O*F »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 06:14:47 PM »
Geeze, Dave, that's a great hint. I've been using 'Cleanwoode' but of course, it's a liquid, so it's wipe on/wipe off. That may push some particles into the wood.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Luke

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 01:30:38 AM »
john try using the 3mm blue painters tape,work it around your brass work and inlays to protect the wood while you finish working on that brass.luke

JohnTyg

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 05:29:19 AM »
I'll put the blue (or green) painters tape, along with the erasers and carb cleaner, right next to my  rasps  and chisels, all very useful recommendations, Thanks.

Never would have thought of carb cleaner, clever!

Actually use the painters tape quite a bit to protect areas of the stock and as idiot markers for "please do not sand anymore here".  Also to help in defining boarders such as the architectural line of demarcation between the top of the comb and side of the but stock. Simply sand to the line of the tape (Note: this line left deliberately high at this point).

John

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 05:42:48 AM »
Am I missing something here?  I have always taken the inlays out to polish them.  Did I do it wrong?  Okay, I won't ask how you fit tape around fancy inlays.  Or how it isn't just pushed away or ripped to shreds by your polishing.  ¿¿¿Carburater Cleaner???
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

JohnTyg

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 05:59:27 AM »
I think I used the word "finishing". 

By finishing I meant filling/sanding to bring the brass inlay and wood flush with each other.  Certainly would "polish" it out of the wood.

I don't think you missed anything, but I could have been clearer with my semantics. So filling/sanding, NOT polishing.

John

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »
If you are into scraping and not sanding remember that a well sharpened scraper will work on the brass.  In my pistol I used only scrapers on the wood, no sandpaper at all.  To bring down the brass stirrups of the buttcap to the wood surface I simply used my scrapers.  The particulate you get when you scrape simply blows off the wood.  Once the fitting was complete I removed the metal parts and used abrasive paper for final polishing.  Its another way to skin the cat.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 06:30:52 PM »
If you don't polish it to a fine grit, it becomes less of a problem.  I'll generally stop at maybe 400 grit and hit it with some fine scotchbrite to even things out.  A super high polish isn't necessary and at times may look out of place.  My view anyway.

JohnTyg

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 01:46:16 AM »
Thanks for the comments, from carb cleaner to scraping, all are appreciated, some intriguing.  I'll give scraping a try for some of the final finish.

Expect I will use all the advice to some degree as I finish the build, always helpful advice here!

The wood discoloration was more a problem than usual at the patch box final simply because I have small ares of wood surrounded by large areas of brass.

Thanks again,

John