Author Topic: The Rifle Shoppe  (Read 7261 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
The Rifle Shoppe
« on: July 22, 2012, 05:54:40 PM »
Drove down there last week to buy a set of parts for the Henry New English and they had everything I needed.  They are cutting a stock for me since I wanted maple and no lock inlet since I will be inletting a well tuned L & R lock.  The lock was tuned by Brad Emig and is pretty remarkable now.  TRS guys had plenty of parts available and a ton of wax patterns ready to go to the foundry.  Hopefully parts availability is improving for those of you who have back orders.  Over all, I had a good time and hope to get into this rifle pretty quickly.  The castings are excellent, by the way.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

SuperCracker

Re: The Rifle Shoppe
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »
Wait, that makes it worse.  I just assumed that they didn't go to foundry til they had a pile of orders and that's what I have been waiting over a year on. That was bad enough. So they actually keep an inventory of parts but the wait time for castings is still measured in years?

That's decidedly annoying!

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:57:17 PM »
These places would turn their current inventory a lot faster if they would just frequently post an "in stock and ready for immediate sale and shipment" list on their website.

Offline Roger B

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 01:39:09 PM »
All of the wax patterns I saw were for the same type of gun.  I assumed that they were making an inventory of that type of firearm.  At least they make parts for guns that no one else supplies and they seemed to be busy.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

SuperCracker

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 05:36:21 PM »
These places would turn their current inventory a lot faster if they would just frequently post an "in stock and ready for immediate sale and shipment" list on their website.

Or even do like Rice does with their barrels. Just say "ok, we do castings once or twice or three times a year. get your order in and your's will be done with X batch".

But no. What we have now is "Ok, let me get your order in now because we're casting a batch in 3 weeks and you'll get your parts within a couple of months". That was in April................................of 2011!  I haven't even been able to get a return call, much less lock castings.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »
I think you have a case of two or three people trying to supply various parts for hundreds of gun patterns. I don't see how they can possibly keep track of it all.

And it ain't like there's a lot of money it it either.

We are lucky to have resources like this, flawed as they may be.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 06:24:45 PM »
Well Cracker, you ought to order from Blackley then! You won't get the parts any sooner, but at least he replies to emails!
John
John Robbins

SuperCracker

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »
I think you have a case of two or three people trying to supply various parts for hundreds of gun patterns. I don't see how they can possibly keep track of it all.

And it ain't like there's a lot of money it it either.

We are lucky to have resources like this, flawed as they may be.

If you can't ever get the parts it's not much of a resource really. I get that there's a small staff with a large inventory but I can't imagine a situation in which it couldn't be managed and scheduled in such a way as to at least provide parts within a few months. Perhaps if the delivery times were reliable and at least in the same neighborhood as promised there'd be more money in it. Or even just a returned phone call to say "hey, we've got your order, we'll get to it when we get to it and it's probably going to be a year or two" would be something.

Even if it were set up that they do one batch of castings a year and you have to get your order in to be included. That would be fine, great even, because then you (and they) could plan on it. As it is now you get your TRS lottery ticket and forget about it and maybe, just maybe sometime in the future you'll get parts. If there were ANY other options we wouldn't even be having this conversation. But, as you all know, there are a lot of things that only they have molds for.

At this point, in my mind, I've written them off. If I ever get them great, if not I won't notice because I'll continue on as though I never ordered them.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
John, not always ..I ordered conversion parts several years ago...They never came..After several emails I call Blackley and Son. I was told he thought my order had been filled because he recalled seeing them on the table.. Would check it out and get back to me .. that was about five years ago ,,Didn't get back and didn't get the parts...I gave up ...  I had ordered a few things before this and had good service .  Not sure what happened..I still need those parts...    LP

Offline LynnC

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 09:45:13 PM »
You mean you guys have actually been able to place an order with TRS ???

They offer stuff I want to buy and I can't even get them to answer the phone or return a call.  Repeatedly  >:(
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Roger B

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 10:41:47 PM »
I have never had the problems you guys are having.  Rather sorry I brought it up. 
Roger B.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 11:52:50 PM »
I think we've covered a range of Rifle Shoppe customer experiences and should consider the topic covered.  You can see where Rule 4 and 5 apply.  Some discussion allowed, but if there is a problem between a vendor and a customer, work it out with them.

From our ALR Rules and Policies:

Specifically prohibited topics or responses are:
1.  Current politics and religion including but not limited to gun control legislation.

2.  Advertisements of items for sale or services for hire outside the Items for Sale forum or any items or services that are not consistent with the allowable topics listed above.

3.  Any personal attack or personal criticism of another member of the message board.  You can criticize an idea but not a person.  There will be zero tolerance for this infraction.

4.  Defamatory characterizations of the products or services of specific vendors, manufacturers or makers.  Some discussion of products or services that may be construed by some to be negative will be allowed as long as they are specific, factual, objective and do not violate any other prohibitions such as the use of vulgar, obscene, or profane language. 

5.  Any discussion of personal business including but not limited to financial transactions, customer service problems, or personal disputes.  The board may be used on occasion to facilitate a meeting or further communication between board members when there is a problem with other communication methods.   Members shall keep their e-mail address in their profile up to date in order to allow for personal communication offline. 

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:59:48 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Andover, Vermont

SuperCracker

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 12:30:05 AM »
Sorry about that then.