Author Topic: Track of the Wolf  (Read 32608 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Track of the Wolf
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:15:37 AM »
Can anyone who has sold a rifle on consignment with TOW say about how long it took after they
sent the rifle before it made it on their website?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dan'l 1946

Re: Track of the Wolf
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 03:34:33 AM »
  Almost as soon as it arrived at the store.
                                          Dan

Offline alex e.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 04:01:57 AM »
I have been waiting three days.Thats a bit long for them.If not by weeks end i will send them a nnote.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline rf50cal

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 04:06:31 AM »
About two years ago, my son and I each sent a rifle. His, a week before mine. His rifle was on the board and sold within two weeks from the day it was sent. It was six weeks until they sent me a review of my rifle and when I didn't accept their terms, it took another month for it to be returned.
Roger Fleisher

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 04:54:21 AM »
Its been several years since I sent anything out there but it was weeks not days before they had it up on there site. They said they had a lot of rifles to review.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 11:54:59 AM »
my wife sent them a pistol 4 yrs ago
took 8 weeks for them to review it,,
then another 6 weeks to return it
calls all said,,well your not the only ones we cater too..
never agin...!!! havent bought anything from them for at least 20 plus yrs...
and wont..!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:58:21 AM by elk killer »
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Joey R

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 01:14:28 PM »
I sent 2 rifles to them and they were listed shortly and sold fairly quickly. I was told to send any other rifles or accoutrement's anytime. I sent them another rifle and it never was listed and was told that they wouldn't because it arrived "unannounced."They sent the rifle back never listed in one of their cardboard boxes and kept my wooden shipping crate I built. I lost money on the crate,shipping,and wasted time. Haven't done business with them since.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 12:10:03 AM »
After 6 rifles, which went on line within a week or so, it took 2 months to get a straight answer on the next 2 .  I ended up accepting a reduced price for them, but the process left a bad impression .  I only got a straight answer after asking them to return my property.
I like the Company, and continue to buy from them. Good service, but the gun selling stuff is pretty subjective, depending on Dave's input. 

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 05:54:09 AM »
May I offer a suggestion?Try selling your guns on Gunsinternational.com.Look over existing ads,and layout yours similary.It costs about 9 dollars to do ad and 8 or so pics.I have had very good results here.Gunbroker is good place to sometimes buy,but not to sell,unless you want to take a hit.Folks at GI are decent to deal with.I usually ship via USPS pripority,insured,etc.Use the others,but it is a hassel messin with local ups.Fedex ok,if they dont fling the package over a fence-bad thing.
Thanks,Dave

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 04:57:01 PM »
I have enjoyed buying from Track of the Wolf, but would never go through the trouble of selling there again.  Each time they have signifcantly undervalued rifles I've sent there. However, they return them lightning fast!  The last one was a very high end flintlock that ended up selling for $5800.  They told me the value was $1200.  I prefer the CLA site and gunbroker.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline elk killer

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 12:53:58 AM »
im pretty sure Dave sets the price,
but you can set your own consignment price,
and wait for it to sell
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 02:51:00 AM »
Sold about a dozen guns through Track other the years.  Don't have a single complaint.  I think the problem some people might run into is that they over estimate what their gun is worth.  If the guys at Track think your consignment price is too high, they will definitely let you know.  They turn over ALOT of guns, and it doesn't benefit anyone to have an overpriced gun sitting on their website for months at a time.  As long as you are realistic about what you want to sell your gun for you won't be disappointed, and if David recommends a lower consignment price don't take it personally.  They have sold thousands of guns over the years, and know what it will take to sell it in a timely manner.   

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 03:46:09 AM »
 I have not sold a gun through Track. I have bought many parts from them though. I can only say dealing with them is much like negotiating with a quirky old crazy uncle. If you expect them to give you any information without pretty much demanding it, you are dreaming. I have come the point where if they send me a backorder for something I can't get somewhere else, I send the entire order back. Twice I have started a gun, only to find out after a long wait that a crucial part is no longer available.
 Their catalog with life size pictures of gun parts is pure genius. I have found no other instructions as good as theirs regarding Shumway's painted light technique photography of long rifles. They have great ideas, but the customer service is poor at best.

Hungry Horse

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 05:41:45 AM »
Mine have shown up on the website by day 3 for sure, most sooner. It depends on how many others they have to photograph and write the info for. I'm fortunate in that I live an hour and a half from them so I drop my guns off in person. They've always been great folks to do business with.
Ted K.

Campy

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »
 As Hungry Horse has stated,customer service and satisfaction are minimal at best.

( Edited by moderator please do not impute negative motives to people. You can't know their motive. - This thread is beginning to sound like "lets all have a feeding frenzy on TOTW..... it is getting close to being deleted. ----- Please discuss the facts of timing etc without slamming the people who run the business... the Golden Rule is a good one to remember when online....?

I responded this way because they shipped me a broken gun.It was advertised as new.Perhaps it was,but in any case,it arrived broken.They refused to fix it or offer any compensation.I had to eat the shipping both ways.That is not a decent way to treat customers.
 This is not intended to bash TOTW.It is a true account of how a transaction was conducted.I sincerely hope other folks have had better luck.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:24:44 AM by Campy »

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 10:38:17 PM »
Yup, and in all the years that I have done business with Track I have never had a negative experience, whether buying or selling. I only wish every business was as fast and pleasant to deal with. They're good people.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 11:40:27 PM »
Yup,   No bashing intended when I opened this thread.   ???
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

tuffy

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 02:56:15 AM »
Of the comments made up to this point, there have been 9 for, 5 against and 7 neutral. How is that a "feeding frenzy" against TOTW? I'm not not trying to start anything, just curious as to how the moderators judge statements. I mean some have good and bad things to say and some are neutral as well.

CW 

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 05:09:30 AM »
And CW that is because I edited out the comment that went too far... its easy to slip over from what has been a civil discussion into bashing and then folks seem to jump on the band wagon. Since that has been prevented. lets leave it there. .
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 06:32:28 PM »
I've been dealing with TOW for ever, and coming from a Canadian point of view, I could not be more pleased.  They have done their utmost to make the business deal as smooth as possible, and I've always got good value for my money.  The only rifle of mine that was ever sold on their site did not belong to me at the time.  It brought more than twice it's original selling price.  I'm sure the seller was delighted.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 11:08:48 PM »
I sell most of my rifles through TOW. As a matter of fact I have 2 on there right now.
I tell them what I want for a price and they usually add 36% as a commission seller fee. They do the write up and the photos and post it online. I think it's a good deal for me.

As far as time, when I send a rifle it is usually unannounced, but I send their form with it stating my price. I usually get a response from them in about a week or less, and the rifles usually appears on their site in another 2 weeks or less. Sale of the rifle varies I had one sell in 2 days and some in 2 months. The rifles on there now have been there about 6 weeks (feels like 6 years) try to be patient. Once it sells the buyer has a 10 day return inspection time, and I usually get my check about 5 days after that.

Offline ohiostate

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 03:22:08 AM »
I have been dealing with them for 20 years.  I have bought and sold guns through them.  I have never had a problem with them and will continue to do business with them.

oldarcher

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 02:55:13 PM »
I have been doing business with TOW since 1976, I purchased my first "kit" a GRRW Hawken from their shop, I think that it was in Brooklyn Center(?)
Good Company, Good People!!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 06:11:06 PM »
It's been several years since I have sent them a gun to sell. I always set the price. (What I would sell the gun for if I were selling it). The guns have always been up with in a couple days of shipping and usually sold with in a couple hours! :o For a whole lot more than I could ever get.
 As far as ordering parts, no problemo.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

pake

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 11:53:45 PM »
It's been several years since I have sent them a gun to sell. I always set the price. (What I would sell the gun for if I were selling it). The guns have always been up with in a couple days of shipping and usually sold with in a couple hours! :o For a whole lot more than I could ever get.
 As far as ordering parts, no problemo.
That says a lot about your reputation Mike! well deserved I'd say.

A few months ago I stopped in at Tracks store for some parts. I was really surprised at the amount of "walk in traffic" to look at, handle and I presume, buy guns. I was the only one buying parts.