Author Topic: Track of the Wolf  (Read 32734 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Track of the Wolf
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 03:35:17 AM »
I've been to their store twice, while traveling across North America.  On both occasions, I was served well, and the experience was most pleasant.  I don't know for how long I have been one of their customers, but it's got to be 30 + years.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 05:38:12 AM »
Since two of my kids and two grandkids live in the Twin Cities, I make frequent stops at TOTW enroute to or from the kids places and drop off a gun if I have one ready to sell or to get parts.

A few years back my wife and  I happened to stop in for some parts and we were pleasantly surprised when Dave introduced us to  Blackpowder Barbie who was visiting TOTW. Nice gal. I doubt she remembers the occasion but I do.

Ted K.

FRJ

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 02:50:22 AM »
ok here's my experience. I had a very bad time with them over a $5.00 issue. I will never buy from them or recommend them. Just fact. FRJ

Don Tripp

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 05:53:09 PM »
I still get their catalog for the pictures but I go to their website to buy. Once upon a time, back orders were a big issue but the website will tell you if the part is in stock or not so back orders should no longer be an issue (and have not been in my recent experience).

I would be interested in selling on their website. It reaches a lot of people. I regularly check the site to see what is there, what has sold and what is new even though I'm not in the market to buy a rifle.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 05:34:26 PM »
me too. the pictures are really good and it fun to stroll thru on a regular basis.

K
Galations 2:20

Offline rsells

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »
I have used Track in the past for posting a rifle and from the time I sent the rifle until I got the check in the mail was 29 days.  I did think giving the buyer a week or ten days to make a decision on the rifle was a bit long.  That is my only complaint I had with the experience.  I have used them for many years to purchase parts and have not had any issues.  Every now and then, I get a back order, but I think they were generated by their suppliers because when I went up stream for the same part from their supplier, I got an even longer lead time.  In one instance, I was told by their supplier to wait for the Track part because they would fill Track's orders first before they would fill my back order from them.
                                                              Roger Sells

Offline t.caster

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 07:42:01 PM »
I haven't had anything to send them for a few years, but the first time took about 2 weeks to appear. After that they appeared faster, once they get to know you. They tried to haggle my price down on the 1st one, but I stuck with what I wanted. It sold in about 2 weeks and they didn't question my price after that. Remember....Quality always sells!
It is a great sales vehicle thanks to their write up, photos and the vast size of the internet audience out there!
Tom C.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »
When I was first getting started building horns, before there was access to great websites like this.  I tried to send horns to track and had a couple of complaints.  One, they wanted me to copy the style of horns from another builder, they even sent me some of that artists horns to look at.  The main problem I had with horns was that they would only show the names of a select few makers, so there was no benefit toward getting your name out.  I eventually just asked them to send me my horns back.  I buy from them all the time with no problems.

Coryjoe

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 01:09:16 AM »
Well I'll keep it pretty short and sweet.  Ordering parts?  Have done so very often, if you're in business ask for dealer pricing, have never had a problem with an order.  Everyone has backorders now and then.  Just specify no backorders and make phone calls until you find it.

Consignments:  when I was a lot younger, had more hair and no spare tire, David and Carole Ripplinger were great supporters as well as Robert Weil and Art Riser.  I got a critique back with the first rifle I sent up there, but like George Shumway's blunt comments at my first Gunmakers' Fair, it only made me more determined and ultimately stronger.  Like a virus.  I subsequently had nothing but excellent experiences selling through their consignment service and I've never begrudged them one penny they made off me as their advertising was worth every one of those pennies and more.

They are very busy people with a large business to run - the information posted as accompaniment to each consignment piece is largely reliant upon the information provided.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 09:05:30 PM »
Let me start by saying that I have had a lot of positive experiences with TOW and they have treated me fairly over the years and their mail order is expeditious and I always get what I order in a matter of 3 to 4 days.  But, as we all know there are exceptions.  Last fall, I sent them a flint pistol to appraise and either buy straight out or consign to sell.  I was hoping for a fairly fast turnaround, as I was planning to use the extra money on a two week hunting trip out west.  Well, I never heard from them, other than the day they received the pistol. My hunting trip came and went and so after approximately 6 weeks, I called them.  The guy that answered said he would see where my pistol was and he came back on the phone and told me that it had been put on the wrong shelf and that David (who does the appraising) had not seen it since it was not put in the usual place that he looks for stuff.  Mystery solved--and I had my appraisal and offer to buy or consign in a couple of days.  So, if you don't hear anything in a couple of weeks, do not hesitate to call or email them and inquire about your item.  Unless they are on vacation, which we all need from time to time, they are usually very fast and take care of business as you would expect them to!!

Offline BJH

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 02:06:15 AM »
Having done buisness with them off and on for 20 + years, it's been a bit of a roller coaster expierence. They have sold some guns for me. At least once they were rather tardy in the least about their appraisal and finally posting the gun to their site. When I order from ANY supplier I will specify no back orders. Unless I'm ordering direct from one of our lock makers.  BJH
BJH

Offline heelerau

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 04:27:42 AM »
I have been getting some parts and other stuff from them the last couple of years and,  as I am down under,  have found them very good.

cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline skullcap

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2012, 09:09:55 PM »
have had some good luck in the past selling some guns. even though they always want to offer about 50% of what the gun is worth. but consign on what i asked for. but now they must have more guns than they need and pick and choose on if the'll even consign for your price.  how can a gun with top quality parts from track be worth less than the parts. they sell parts retail but buy or price guns like a pawn shop

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2012, 05:43:08 PM »
Some of the custom guns they sell seem too high priced to me, but they know their market, which may be different from what one could expect to get elsewhere.  I've seen custom "kentuckies" with obvious architectural problems and beginner level carving, etc priced over $3,000 there.  But if the buyer is satisfied, and the seller gets their money, it's all good.
Andover, Vermont

Online T*O*F

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 06:38:31 PM »
Some of the custom guns they sell seem too high priced to me, but they know their market,
Rich,
I suspect that a large portion of their sales are from overseas buyers who will pay a higher price.  Turner Kirkland told us that the majority of their catalog sales are from overseas buyers.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 08:19:34 PM »
I recently took advantage of their "free shipping" offer two weeks ago and ordered a set of scissor bullet molds, the folding ladle, and a "Square Nickel Silver English Style Oil Bottle".  These are all made in India, not stated in the descriptions.  The quality seemed "OK", except for discoloration of the bottle, which I later found to not be made of solid Nickel Silver as stated, but plated.  Nowhere did they state the country of origin- the mentioned that the bottle was "imported" on the 2nd page of the add.  So the lesson is, if you are a discriminating buyer, make sure you call them first!
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

wet willy

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2012, 11:43:02 PM »
I live in MN, and close enough to their facility to take them in. We agreed on prices, signed a consignment agreement, and the first item sold after just a few days. Took about 2 days to get them posted and the first item sold the next day.
Payment received after about 10 days, which is part of their consignment agreement to support their guarantee of buyer satisfaction.

Dealing with them remotely could be time-consuming, as your item(s) must be received, examined, price established, and an agreement signed before they list on their website.

They commented that flintlocks and non-firearms items being easier to ship to foreign countries, than percussion arms, which may account for the large number of flinters.

Offline skullcap

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 11:04:39 PM »
has any one received there new one page letter of hard times. and consignment prices
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:06:01 PM by skullcap »

ricktull

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2015, 06:56:08 AM »
I sold some horns on there, I think the reason they want to under value items to sell, is the astronomical cut they add on

Offline alex e.

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2015, 01:53:39 PM »
I quit sending them stuff a few years back.It go to the point anything they offered was an insult to me. Although my askings were on the fair side and I ended up selling to others for at least that amount. That issue being the main one.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

tuffy

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2015, 03:03:39 PM »
Don't know about selling, just buying. And that has always been a pleasant experience.  ;)

CW

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2015, 02:41:28 AM »
Track of the Wolf is the best.  Never had a bad experience.  One error on a shipment and they corrected it immediately at no charge to me. 

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

nosrettap1958

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2015, 04:09:03 PM »
I have done business with them for quite awhile and never had a problem. I would recommend them highly to anyone looking for anything related to black powder.

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2015, 05:29:26 PM »
Been buying parts and selling/buying guns from them for at least 25 years. Always my first stop when I need something.  The back order issues that come up from time to time is a testament to the declining productivity of the suppliers over the years, and the volume of sales that Track does.  I guess they have been starting to bring production of many items "in house" in recent years, but that is a slow, painstaking process that takes a long time to get to everything.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:30:41 PM by FlintFan »

bonron

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2015, 08:32:45 PM »
Oh boy!!!!Now I'm worried. I bought a Vincent rifle kit about 4 weeks ago. Time from order to receipt of gun was great however a crucial part was backordered. I've received two very cheerful emails telling me to be patient. Since I live about 20 miles from the manufacturer of the part I called them. Their problem is they lost  the employee that made that part after 30 years. He's turning out to be hard to replace. The whole point here is it's not Track's fault, but what do they do. They have my money and can't get me my part till who knows when. I can't put another part in there since the stock is pre-inlet for that particular part. Any suggestions.