Author Topic: Melchior Fordney Style Rifle on the Blog  (Read 4397 times)

Joe S

Melchior Fordney Style Rifle on the Blog
« on: October 16, 2012, 10:54:26 PM »
The Montana Historical Gunmaker's Guild posted a Melchior Fordney style rifle on the Contemporary Makers Blog today.  About a dozen different members of the MHGG contributed to this project.  The MHGG would appreciate a critique.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Melchior Fordney Style Rifle on the Blog
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:25:53 AM »
That is a really fine rifle.  Fit and finish are tops, carving and engraving appropriate and nicely done.  It's an admirable rifle, which is quite a feat when many makers are involved.  If pressed I wonder about 2 architectural features.  First, the tang seems to be straight, not bent at all, causing an unusual line to the top of the wrist from the breech backwards.  This could be exaggerated by the picture angle, or it could be real.  Is that intentional and characteristic of M. Fordney's work?  Second, is the nose of the comb a little high where it meets the wrist?  I think that transition is nicely handled but it seems a bit high.  I don't have my bookes here for reference.  Most of the Fordney's I've seen pictures of are in Kindig's book.  I've seen a few in person but it's been a few years.  I've always been an admirer; thought he had a great bold and distinctive style.  Too bad he ran into a madman.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 02:32:56 AM »
All of the work on this gun is great, but, it has a problem caused by the fact that they did not have access to an original.
Like Rich, I can't understand why the tang wasn't bent downward.   This leaves a strange bump on top of the wrist.
Also, if you could look at an original Fordney, you would see a wrist that is higher than wide.  A lot of Fordney's also
had a checkered wrist.  Basically, the biggest problem is architecture.  Fit and finish is great...........Don

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 04:36:10 AM »

Regardless some of our less experienced members did some REALLY good work on the rifle and gained valuable experience. So it was a success from that standpoint and this was its purpose.
Still I have seen far, far worse rifles on the blog.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 06:54:29 AM »
As above. Also the horsehead Fordney (earlier) virtually always uses a square back sideplate. We're gtting really picky of course. A really nice rifle.

Joe S

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 07:58:13 PM »
Thanks for the critique gentlemen.  Much appreciated.  Our goal in building this rifle was to give a number of novice builders hands on experience, and hopefully the confidence to proceed on their own individual projects.   Considering the few faults you folks found, I’d say that the rifle was successful beyond our expectations.