Author Topic: New powder cans  (Read 10759 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

New powder cans
« on: August 21, 2012, 05:23:24 PM »
Goex in their wisdom, has come out with a new 1 lb powder 'can' in plastic.  Point is that the pouring opening measures 1 3/8".  So now we must refit with a pouring spout that fits or save a couple or three 'old' metal cans and transfer the goods from the new fangled plastic cans to the older metal cans.  Simply a heads up.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Re: New powder cans
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 06:38:12 PM »
I figures, Just my luck. I just bought one of the spout caps about a month ago.

Offline prairieofthedog

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 07:01:12 PM »
Just out of curiosity whats wrong with a steel cap on a steel powder can?

Harnic

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
Just out of curiosity whats wrong with a steel cap on a steel powder can?

Some of the more superstitious believe sparks can be generated with steel on steel.  In actual fact, plastic is more likely to generate a static electricity charge, albeit very unlikely.

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »
All of the tests so far, including those done by members on this site - to elicit the ignition of powder via an electrical spark, have failed- interstingly enough.  That is why Harry said - "the more superstitious". I've also never seen a spark generated by rubbing two pieces of can steel together. Perhaps it can be done, but perhaps not by merely screwing on a cap.

I've once thought GOEX shipping 25 pounds of black powder in a large plastic bag, was asking for trouble. Now, I don't even give it a second thought as I pour from that 25 pound bag into a squeezed metal 3-pound coffee can, then into steel 1 pound GOEX cans on a steel scale, then cap with the steel GOEX caps. Maybe I should?

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 04:36:30 AM »
Doesn't matter one way or the other Maneo. Much of this sport today is driven by superstitions & mistruths along with some old wives tales and backwards ideas thrown in.

William Worth

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »
An interesting experience in how much static can be generated by plastic is to scoot a plastic five gallon gas can around in the bed of a truck with a rubber bed liner.  In DAMP weather your hair will crackle and the next thing you ground to will spark like the dickens.

But if I am not mistaken, the plastic in cans like the powder sellers use have some degree of anti-static properties, carbon in the mix or something like that.

When I pour any quantity of powder from one container to another, I am more concerned with fine dust migrating it's way into trouble.  I am convinced that is what happened to Mr. Corman in Stanford, KY.  It was reported that there was a space heater sitting nearby and I recall it being cool at the time of the explosion

coutios

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 04:56:04 PM »
  I would agree with William... Most likely (should be) made from anti-stat plastic

Regards
Dave

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 05:01:27 PM »
The dust can be a problem of course - are these new plastic cans the same as the plastic smokeless powder and T-7 powder cans used by Hodgdon and IMR?

It's pretty simple to drill a hold for a cut-off ctg. case and solder it into the middle of the lid as a pouring spout.  Cut a hole in the centre and replace the paper liner after soldering, of course.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 05:03:04 PM by Daryl »

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 05:48:34 PM »
I believe this link to static electricity/BP experiments has been shared before but in case you missed it, here it is: http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html.

It convinced me that a static charge is extraordinarily unlikely to set off the powder. But, we all have to make our own calls when it comes to safety.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 05:49:12 PM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline bgf

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 07:36:02 PM »
But if I am not mistaken, the plastic in cans like the powder sellers use have some degree of anti-static properties, carbon in the mix or something like that.

When I pour any quantity of powder from one container to another, I am more concerned with fine dust migrating it's way into trouble.  I am convinced that is what happened to Mr. Corman in Stanford, KY.  It was reported that there was a space heater sitting nearby and I recall it being cool at the time of the explosion

I agree about the anti-static plastic.  I think it is a DOT requirement or some such from browsing the mad monk's literature not long ago.

I thought of Mr. Corman as well (it wasn't that far south of me).  Sadly, I think that case illustrates that the downside of experience is complacency, which one can't afford around blackpowder.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 07:57:15 PM »
The dust can be a problem of course - are these new plastic cans the same as the plastic smokeless powder and T-7 powder cans used by Hodgdon and IMR?

It's pretty simple to drill a hold for a cut-off ctg. case and solder it into the middle of the lid as a pouring spout.  Cut a hole in the centre and replace the paper liner after soldering, of course.
As I stated earlier the plastic "cans" have an opening that measures 1  3/8" and the lid is also plastic.   I realize you guys in B.C. like the big calibers; but holy canolies  Inch and an eighth ::)

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 08:09:41 PM »

I measured a lid from a Hodgdon can and it's over 1 1/8" - just fits inside the muzzle, Roger. ;) the auto cuttoff limits the charge to 1/2 a can. ;D ::)

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 11:41:43 PM »
This is what the wife and I use for those short shots
The Pistol Shooter

Offline bgf

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 12:09:14 AM »
Frizzen, that is a single shot preloaded charge for Daryl.

doug

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 03:31:08 AM »
Frizzen, that is a single shot preloaded charge for Daryl.

I have heard it rumoured that he wears a diagonal belt over his shoulder, with cans of powder, sort of like oversize wooden apostles in the matchlock days  :>)  :>)

cheers Doug

Offline LH

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 04:02:59 AM »
Much of this sport today is driven by superstitions & mistruths along with some old wives tales and backwards ideas thrown in.

No kiddin!    :-\

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 06:33:59 PM »
Much of this sport today is driven by superstitions & mistruths along with some old wives tales and backwards ideas thrown in.

No kiddin!    :-\

That's what makes it so cool.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 11:23:23 PM »
The art and the mystery!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 05:25:04 AM »
My 4 bore punt gun would be happy with that size can opening. It would make for easy loading.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 02:38:37 PM »
Well by gollys the first thing I have saved that will come in handy.  Seems over my lifetime when I tell myself "I need to save that it'll come in handy someday" I end up throwing or giving it away eventually. I've got about 10 or so metal cans that may be useful after all. They used to make decent targets, those metal cans, but I've saved them over the last year. Dang I new Goex was the last of the holdouts. Must be cheaper for them.

Bob

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 05:07:44 PM »
Frizzen;

I love it. I have a collection of old tobacco tins, that have been cut down in a similar manner, to hold the old strike anywhere matches. Back when everyone smoked either a pipe, or roll your owns, those old matches could light off from friction, and set your pocket on fire, if they weren't in a tin container. I haven't seen other types of tins cut down in this manner before.

Hungry Horse

Offline Kermit

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 08:27:12 PM »
If you google-search "new f-style metal cans" you will find you can buy them lots of places. This is just the first that comes up:

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item/C063

I use them for some of the finish/lubrication/penetration concoctions I brew up. Write on the can with a Sharpie. I don't know what I'll do when these disappear. These should come in handy for buyers of bulk powder.

Daryl, you might prefer the 1-gallon size.  ;) ;D ;)

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item/C038
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 08:40:33 PM »
What do the new Goex containers look like?   Something about like what is used for Swiss or Scheutzen?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 01:54:51 AM »
What do the new Goex containers look like?   Something about like what is used for Swiss or Scheutzen?
Black plastic with applied red info stickers both sides...